PDA

View Full Version : When you send a horse on trial..

nlk
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:36 PM
quick question....If and when you send a horse on trial what is an appropriate amount for a deposit?

Just curious what others are doing

TheHunterKid90
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
Typically? I want the full amount in the form of a cashiers check post dated for the last day of the trial....that way if my horse doesn't return I can cash the check...it also gives the potential buyers peace of mind in the fact that their check cannot be cashed earlier.

However, I just finished a deal that the seller only wanted 10% of the purchase price when the horse went on trial...

Alternater
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:02 PM
Not only a cashier's check for the full purchase price, but also an insurance policy in their name- I got burned badly once when my horse went out on trial and came back dead lame for a looong time........and my insurance policy suffered.

Windswept Stable
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:58 PM
Trials are such a huge problem for the most part. I do not allow them anymore due to the problems. You often get back a horse that is not the same one you sent out.

SkipChange
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:02 PM
Not only a cashier's check for the full purchase price, but also an insurance policy in their name- I got burned badly once when my horse went out on trial and came back dead lame for a looong time........and my insurance policy suffered.

This. If they won't do this then tell them no trial.

Lucassb
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:10 PM
I want the purchase price up front, insurance for the full purchase price, a contract stating that the trial is to be treated as a short term lease (meaning they don't get the full amount back if they return the horse) and a completed vet check which ensures that there is no dickering later over some "lameness" the buyer just discovered (ie, created.) The vet check also documents the horse's condition and the contract states that if the horse is returned in different condition, there is no return/refund.

ExJumper
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:17 PM
I think it's so funny how everyone differs -- my trainer and her circle of other trusted trainers will send sale horses back and forth without any drama and hoopla. If you are working with a trainer and your trainer is working with trainers it can be pretty simple. Horses worth many tens of thousands of dollars are sent around this way every single day.

Would I send my horse to a person I didn't know who was under a trainer I didn't know (or didn't like)? Or didn't have a trainer? No. But if I had a sale horse and my trainer wanted a client of a trainer she knew and trusted to try it I would let the animal go without any paperwork. I did it twice with the horse I was selling and I did it three times before I bought the horse I have now.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:21 PM
I think it's so funny how everyone differs -- my trainer and her circle of other trusted trainers will send sale horses back and forth without any drama and hoopla. If you are working with a trainer and your trainer is working with trainers it can be pretty simple. Horses worth many tens of thousands of dollars are sent around this way every single day.

Would I send my horse to a person I didn't know who was under a trainer I didn't know (or didn't like)? Or didn't have a trainer? No. But if I had a sale horse and my trainer wanted a client of a trainer she knew and trusted to try it I would let the animal go without any paperwork. I did it twice with the horse I was selling and I did it three times before I bought the horse I have now.

I think that is the big difference also. But I wouldn't send my horse out without knowing the barn/trainer where it was going without the hoopla either (shoot I may even want the hoopla at that point). I've been burned on a lease before and am pretty anti-everything at this point.

meupatdoes
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:39 PM

Even if you know and trust the trainer, it is highly unlikely that their client will demonstrate responsibility by, say, paying out the full purchase price or covering all vet care and board if it blows a suspensory.
They might say sorry, and feel bad for you, but actually demonstrating sorry by stepping up and taking responsibility is highly unlikely.

More likely they will quietly say to themselves, "Thank GOD we haven't paid for that horse yet," and then say "Sooooooorry" to you as you are left holding the bag. I have had it happen with professionals over $500 of vetting/extra board/extra trailering costs incurred when they suddenly backed out of a lease negotiation, I can not imagine someone actually stepping up to the tune of what some of these show horses are worth if something were to happen to an uninsured horse.

judybigredpony
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:13 AM
This question is being discussed on another thread and buyer has concerns about 15% on a $3500. horse.

I just plain don't do it if the horse soley belongs to me.

If its a clients horse its their call, but 50% plus an insurance policy including Major medical, Mortality and the biggie Loss of Use are a Must. And I don't care what the price of the horse is $1500. or $150,000. And a PPE must be pre-scheduled and confirmed by the vets office upon arrival before trial period starts. Weeds out the tire kickers and you know your horses condition should they send it back broke. I personally prefer to attend the PPE as well and insist a Tox screen be done.

I also expect to be paid for my gas and time if I drive a horse to another location to be tried and they Do Not buy the horse.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:34 AM
IF I allow a horse to go out and that is a big IF, I would ask for 10% as a "short term lease fee" which is non-refundable under ANY circumstance, even if horse doesn't "vet out" as everyones interpretation of what is "acceptable" in vetting is different. A contract is signed that states certain stipulations of the "lease". A check for balance is LEFT WITH ME to be cashed when they accept the horse. I transport horse to their facility and they pay me for gas and time. A vetting must be pre-scheduled before I take the horse and the "lease" is for one week period. If the prospective buyer is not happy with this, then sorry, no trial! And I only do it for reasonably "local" buyers as I am not going to spend the time hauling the horse many hours and then have to return and pick it up. Also it is up to the individual owner of the horse (as I sell a lot for clients) as to whether their horse can/cannot go out. In addition, there are certain people that I wouldn't let me horse go out with.

Lkramer
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:28 PM
I do NOT do it on show horses. If they want to try the horse at the show, they can. That way, there is no drugging, they can see how the horse acts/performs, and I don't have people suddenly telling me the horse is unsound, drugged, etc when it is jumping around clear.

For other horses that were worth less than 20k, I do 1/3 of the purchase price, NON-refundable. That eliminates tire kicker types. If they are really seriously about the horse and adamant about a trial, they will do it.

Alternater
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same situation I was in "trusting my trainer" and letting the horse go on trial with a handshake.... Never, ever again........

shawneeAcres
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same situation I was in "trusting my trainer" and letting the horse go on trial with a handshake.... Never, ever again........

Doing anything these days without paperwork/comtracts is opening yourself up for a variety of potential legal problems. I do not board, sell or buy a horse without an explicit contract. I would not lease, send a horse on trial etc without such a contract either. That is simply poor business practices, as contracts protect BOTH parties.

Alternater
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:13 PM
I agree with you whole heartedly Shawnee.......

Tex Mex
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE]Not only a cashier's check for the full purchase price, but also an insurance policy in their name- I got burned badly once when my horse went out on trial and came back dead lame for a looong time........and my insurance policy suffered./QUOTE]

This is actually a really bad idea. Only ONE insurance policy in ONE person's name should be taken out on the horse. If you have your horse insured already, the buyer shouldn't get the horse covered by a second insurance company. If anything bad happens, the insurance companies will likely fight it out and it will be more drama than necessary, you will still suffer. Better to just keep it insured under your name, or if you don't have insurance, then the buyer can get a policy in their name for the trial period.

Alternater
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE]Not only a cashier's check for the full purchase price, but also an insurance policy in their name- I got burned badly once when my horse went out on trial and came back dead lame for a looong time........and my insurance policy suffered./QUOTE]

This is actually a really bad idea. Only ONE insurance policy in ONE person's name should be taken out on the horse. If you have your horse insured already, the buyer shouldn't get the horse covered by a second insurance company. If anything bad happens, the insurance companies will likely fight it out and it will be more drama than necessary, you will still suffer. Better to just keep it insured under your name, or if you don't have insurance, then the buyer can get a policy in their name for the trial period.

Alternater
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:35 PM
Tex Mex- you are correct and this is what I meant........insurance companies will give temporary policies for trial periods, etc.......

Flash44
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:19 PM
A 10% non-refundable short term lease fee if the horse leaves the property, a free one week trial with a refundable deposit while you schedule the vet if the horse stays home.

It boggles my mind that people think horses are like cars. Horses are horses; they have good days, bad days, spooky days, fast days, slow days. I've NEVER to my knowledge ridden or even know of a horse that NEVER EVER does anything wrong. Horses act like horses, and if someone can't handle a little bad behavior or mischief once in a while they should shop for a rocking horse.

gallupgirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
It boggles my mind that people think horses are like cars. Horses are horses; they have good days, bad days, spooky days, fast days, slow days. I've NEVER to my knowledge ridden or even know of a horse that NEVER EVER does anything wrong. Horses act like horses, and if someone can't handle a little bad behavior or mischief once in a while they should shop for a rocking horse.

Amen!