PDA

View Full Version : Tall boot care?

Sparky Boy
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
I'll admit I'm not the most dedicated tack cleaner ;) My boots do get cleaned with Vogel's after each show but they're looking a little drab these days. How do take care of your tall boots?

bumknees
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
mm Dont know about others but I married a military guy... He cleans and spit polishes them when I ask him to.. ;)

indygirl2560
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have Ariats and every so often, I use a black boot polish to clean them up. I put a little bit of water in the polish tin, take a rag and rub it around until I get enough polish, and then work it into a small area of my boot. A trick my stepdad taught me(he used to be in the Air Force and is the master of boot shining! lol) was to keep adding a little bit of water on my rag when I rub the polish on my boot. When the whole boot is covered in the polish, I take a cotton rag(usually an old soft t-shirt) and shine the boots(grab opposite ends of the t-shirt to create tension, and rub the boot quickly back and forth). After this process, my boots look brand new!

Sparky Boy
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
You don't put the polish on the inside of the boot right?

indygirl2560
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
You don't put the polish on the inside of the boot right?
I do, but a lot of my friends don't. It really doesn't make a difference to me(but I don't polish the inside as much and as hard as the other parts) but they complain that the boot is way too slippery if they polish the inside. I'm a clean freak when it comes to tack and boots anyways!

starkissed
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
the cobbler I take my boots to get repaired says this:

Never use saddle soap or conditioner.
ONLY use boot polish (either creme of wax)

Then the boots build up a nice layer of wax(which breathes) and they get pretty darn waterproof.

Just use a damp towel to get mud/dirt/ sweat off before you polish

doublesstable
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
Ditto the boot polish only. For 20 years I used Kiwi brand black shoe polish and my old boots looked new forever.

Then I purchased some Ariat Crowns and with the boots they recomended and gave a sample of Leather CPR... I used this product and the boots never shined or were very water proof. Went back to my old ways of using Kiwi shoe polish and a soft polishing cloth.
(much better)

PugetSounder
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:19 PM
Put boot trees in them any time they're not on your feet.
Wipe them down with a barely damp cloth to clean.
Polish them any time they need it. Use a boot brush to shine them up once the polish is on. I haven't used it, but loads of people love this:
http://www.bitofbritain.com/URAD_p/0499.htm