PDA

View Full Version : Biothane Halter Bridle

JustTrails
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:15 PM
I was recently given a biothane halter bridle. Lucky me, it fits my mare beautifully!

Do these hold up well if the horse spooks and pulls back? Are they more prone to slipping off the head?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

jeano
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:33 PM
Beta Biothane reportedly is not as strong as regular. The regular should be about as breakable as regular flat nylon halters--in other words, not.

I use two Beta halter bridles currently and have used flat uncoated nylon halter bridles in the past and never ever had any slip off the horse, and God knows, my head scracthing fools have TRIED.

tabula rashah
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:23 PM
I have one for most of my horses. Love them!! The biothane ones are very strong, beta biothane though seems to be closer to leather strength-wise.

JustTrails
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately I don't know what kind I have - can't complain as it was a freebie. Thanks for the info though!

chicamuxen1
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:36 AM
Oh Jeano, I have the bridle removing champ! I've had him just shake his head and throw a bridle off! I've had to take the bit up much higher to try to keep the bridle on and he still can rub it off an ear when he drops his head to eat or drink. Very sneaky horse. I also hate to raise the bit so far in his mouth. I just switched yesterday to a different setup, it's a bridle that clips onto a rope halter. I made it thru an entire ride without him slipping the bridle. I'll have to wait and see if that was first time luck or if I've found a fix.

Bonnie S.

ponygrl25
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
I have 3 of them and I love them!!! I lucked out at a tack swap and got 2 older ones and matching beastplates for $5 each:D. They needed a little cleaning and a couple of new snaps, but otherwise they are in good usable shape. The other one I have is a sidepull/halter/bridle. The color (dayglow green and black) is a little bright, but great for riding on the roads. I do want to get one of the bridles that clips on the rope halter as well. It is so much easier to just hose the sweat off instead of leathercleaner and oiling. It is also easier to try different bits, especially if you buy a couple extra set of bit hangers. :winkgrin:

walkers
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:10 AM
Yes biothane is tough but you need to think about that and how truly dangerous it is to have a bridle that a horse can't break. My horse almost broke his neck when he got his bridle caught on a post. I was letting him drink some water and somehow the bridle got hooked on a post. Luckily he is a big boy and actually pulled the post out of the ground when he freaked about being caught up. I was stunned that the bridle was strong enough that he could pull up a post dug four feet in the ground . The bridle didn't break and it was a four year old wintec bridle that had seen a lot of hard use.
I went home and threw out all my synthetic bridles and consider myself very lucky. I have a friend who trains driving horses and won't touch a synthetic harness because she has seen some horrible accidents. It tough and easy to clean but can be deadly.