PDA

View Full Version : Mare constantly in heat - even right now in frigid, dark January!

Merle
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:04 PM
It appears that my mare (a 3.5 year old) is in heat now and has been in heat since October. During October, November, and part of December I was out 3-4x a week and every time I was out she never failed to pee and wink for minutes and minutes after. I board her and have been busy with school so I wasn't able to get out more than once a week for the past month and I hadn't seen her pee so I was hoping that she'd come out of heat. Well, she peed in the aisle a couple days go and was winking like crazy (and this is a snowy, blustery, 10 degree day). Am I wrong to assume that when a mare is winking she is in heat? Is this normal? Her heats do not affect her rideability/personality and nothing appears to be bothering her but I'm a bit perplexed. I'd like to be able to breed her down the road so I'm hoping this isn't a sign of something that could affect that. I've also never had a repro exam done on her since she is first and foremost my riding horse. Thanks!

Daventry
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:47 PM
If she has indefinitely been in heat that much over the pas few months, I would get her checked out by a vet as that can be a sign of infection or cysts.

Laurierace
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:59 PM
They always wink after they pee. That is the horsey equivalent of wiping with toilet paper. I would run it past the vet just in case though. The peeing in the aisle would concern me more than the winking.

Merle
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:11 PM
She frequently pees in the aisle. Her favorite spot, at least it appears to be. :no: It's terrible to clean up in cold weather.

Daventry
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
She frequently pees in the aisle. Her favorite spot, at least it appears to be. :no: It's terrible to clean up in cold weather.

This could simple just be a bad habit in the barn. I can't stand when they pee in the aisle and do everything to prevent it. It's best if you can get after her when she starts and make her stop, untie her and take her into a stall to finish. I really get after them for peeing in the aisle - I'd rather make it more difficult and uncomfortable for them to do rather than having to clean it up and have the smell....which will then often cause the next horse to pee in the aisle. It can easily be stopped, you just have to make sure you watch her like a hawk and don't let it happen - it doesn't mean she's in heat though. They quickly learn to stop if you are aggressive enough about it!

Merle
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:03 PM
I spoke with one of the vets who boards at the barn (she is getting her PhD in theriogenology on top of her vet degree) and she said that when a mare is winking that she is almost certainly in heat. She was leaving so I didn't get to speak more with her about it but she said it is very uncommon (but does happen) to cycle now.

Thanks for the advice on peeing in the aisle. She didn't do it today, thank goodness. I'll try what you suggested since it definitely would be a great habit to break!

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
I spoke with one of the vets who boards at the barn (she is getting her PhD in theriogenology on top of her vet degree) and she said that when a mare is winking that she is almost certainly in heat. She was leaving so I didn't get to speak more with her about it but she said it is very uncommon (but does happen) to cycle now.

Thanks for the advice on peeing in the aisle. She didn't do it today, thank goodness. I'll try what you suggested since it definitely would be a great habit to break!

I'm caring for several mares...all pregnant and all wink after they pee. All year long--in heat out of heat--they wink after they pee.

MagicRoseFarm
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:50 PM
here in SC PA, 3 of our 7 unbred mares are coming into season... I never noticed it before this time of year. Could it be they know the heat wave is coming?

Mares will wink after urinating, when they squat and wink and urinate only slightly, can be a sign of heat, or infection.

Merle
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:00 AM
Interesting! She is urinating a large amount and winking afterwards. It must just be normal for her then. :) She does not squat, urinate a small amount, etc. Thanks!

Nootka
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'm caring for several mares...all pregnant and all wink after they pee. All year long--in heat out of heat--they wink after they pee.

Same with my mare. Not in heat she would wink after a pee every morning before coming in for her breakfast:yes: