PDA

View Full Version : When buying a Saddle

js
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:24 PM
Do you go for the freebies, including free shipping or go for the tack shop with the excellent customer service?

mvp
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:53 PM
I DON'T go for freebies-- the bridle that comes with, free shipping, whatever. Here's why:

I probably did spend (or will need to spend) lots of time asking questions and having trial saddles sent. If a store has put in all this time and it turns out they have the saddle I want for the right price, I buy from them. It's not fair to use someone's inventory and time only to buy from another source. Or you can do that, but then you help contribute to the demise of these full service shops and then what will you do next time?

If you know what you want, shop where you want. If you don't please don't bite the hand that feeds you.

js
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:04 PM
I DON'T go for freebies-- the bridle that comes with, free shipping, whatever. Here's why:

I probably did spend (or will need to spend) lots of time asking questions and having trial saddles sent. If a store has put in all this time and it turns out they have the saddle I want for the right price, I buy from them. It's not fair to use someone's inventory and time only to buy from another source. Or you can do that, but then you help contribute to the demise of these full service shops and then what will you do next time?

If you know what you want, shop where you want. If you don't please don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I think you mis-understood what I was asking. I'm not using one stores inventory to try saddles then buying from the cheaper source. Quite the contrary. I merely was asking if you have two on-line tack stores and one is offering freebies, a lower price and free shipping and the other doesn't but is known for excellent customer service (the other one is too but not I've never ordered from them so can only go by what other's have said) the one with freebies also has a 30 day saddle trial the other a 7 day. I was curious if other's thought the freebies were worthwhile or staying with who you've ordered a lot from put paying the higher price, shipping and getting a short trial period. I personally like great customer service and have in the past paid the higher prices to get it but at the same time wonder if I'm short changing myself by shopping for the best deal.

Invite
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:06 PM
Customer Service All The Way :yes:

I have a L'Apogee on special order for my giant warmblood who is built like a pony. Kitty, the company owner, has gone above and beyond. She has even contacted a company regarding the girth she feels will be best for my horse even though she sells her own girths. I know all my emails will be answered and all my phone calls will be returned. Customer service is priceless!!!

Tuesday's Child
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think in the situation you describe, I would go for the cheaper store with freebies. Especially since they also have a reputation for good customer service, as long as you trust the opinions of the people who told you that! The 30 days trial vs only 7 days would also be a major selling point for me, even if all else was equal. Who knows, you might find out that you like this store as much or better than the other!