PDA

View Full Version : What are you paying for lessons?

Friday1
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
With the price of everything going up these days, I thought it might be interesting to poll to see what folks are paying for lessons these days.

For context probably need to know
Where you live
Experience, Discipline of person you are riding with
Length of lesson and type (private, small group 2-3, large group

So here goes...
I live and lesson in NJ.
I jump with a very experienced HJ person with strong dressage foundation. Not actively competing.
Not dressaging with anyone at the moment.

Usually do a hour, 2 person lesson. Price is $60.00. Usually lesson every other week.

wsmoak
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:35 AM
Phoenix, AZ

ICP Level 3 instructor, very experienced in all three phases

$45 flat rate for lessons. The lesson length depends on the size of the group and what needs to be accomplished that day. I've had a minimum half-hour private lesson when everything went very well, up to 1.5 hours for a large group out on XC. I think he's under priced. :)

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:35 AM
Well here at home I lessoned with a lady who evented at prelim I believe and has a very strong Dressage back ground. I paid $30 for an hour. At school (basically the same area) I lesson with a lady who I am really not sure of her background, but she coaches the Eq team (HJ) and I pay $15 for a half hour. I am eventually going to take lessons with another trainer who is just super according to all her clients and I will pay $45 for an hour. She is an eventer. IDK what her highest level is.

Im around Nashville TN

RiverBendPol
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:36 AM
My coach is young-too young to know so much! She has worked for/with many of the biggies including Sally Cousins, Philip Dutton, Eric Horgan. She is wise, very good with Old Hags :winkgrin: and children alike, has an incredible eye. Every lesson I have with her leaves me in awe. I've known her since she was a ratty little 12 year old and I am always amazed at her depth of knowledge and understanding...Anyhow, her lessons are an hour tho she'll go over time if necessary and she'll call it quits if I've had enough, they are $65 and worth well more than that.
She's competed successfully through CCI** (full) and is now bringing 3 youngsters along. We're all heading to Aiken in 3 weeks, yay.
She's based in Massachusetts, travels all over everywhere to teach clinics and spends the winter in Aiken.

scribbles
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:44 AM
I generally ride with two different trainers, one dressage and one jumper, rather than an eventing trainer... unless I need to school XC!

But, dressage: 100 per lesson (1x per month) she is a grand prix dressage trainer and has brought multiple horses up the levels and really can get them through and amazingly expressive and responsive.

Jumping: 60 per lesson (2x per month) grand prix jumper and rides the regular working hunters as well, knows all about adjustability, as well as just riding the canter stride. she can see about 2/3 strides out if my mare is going to tap a rail, and can tell me, and then help me fix the feeling.

My lessons are expensive but i get so much out of them!

badawg
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'm in MT, I primarily ride with an eventing trainer who has ridden through Prelim. She has ridden with many big names herself and is very, very well rounded with a very classical background. I pay $45 for a private, generally about an hour, more or less depending on what needs to be accomplished that day. Less for a semi-private. I also ride with a BNR, former olympian (eventer) about once a month or so depending on the weather and such and we generally jump either stadium or XC, but she runs about $60 for 45 minutes. Very reasonable, I think.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm in Middle TN, I ride with a trainer who has competed through Prelim and excellent with bringing along tough individuals. She teaches at my place for $55 and at hers for $45, $40 if I ride with a friend. I actually don't know how long her lessons are- they're always as long as they "need to be."

Coeur*de*Cheval
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
I ride usually in lessons 2-3 weekends a month. 1 weekend is with a event trainer from central oregon who is competing intermediate, students doing prelim and is one of the top 50 riders in the country. Her rate is $130 ($120 for pony club) for 4 hour of group lessons (2 hours each day). The next weekend is usually a grad A pony clubber who lives in western WA. Her rate is $15 for 1 hour PC group lessons (Sat AM), $40 for 45-1 hr private lessons (Sat PM & Sun AM). Then if I am able too I try to ride with Liz Tukey and her rates are like $65 for a private 1 hr.

Inter. Trainer is here: Feb, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov
PC Trainer is here: Feb, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov
Liz is here: not sure yet prob Mar-Nov

I drive 2 hours each way for the first 2 weekends and stay overnight with a friend so no stabling fees and about 30 min each way for Liz lessons

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:50 AM
My previous coach competed through ****, rode at the WEGS and is an EC level 3 eventing coach. I paid $50 for a private for an hour when I boarded there. A couple hours north of Toronto.

Current "coach" is a good friend of mine. She's ridden through *** and has been short listed for a few years. She helps me and I help here at shows kinda thing. I've tried to pay her but she hasn't let me yet.

bambam
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:09 PM
My coach is young-too young to know so much!
:lol::lol: I am always thinking the same about my trainer. She is the BO and I actually did not take lessons with her when I first moved there because I am an age-ist ;) But then I got smart and realized what a truly talented instructor she is.
For her- I pay $55 for a 45 minute private- it can go less or more time based on what you need to do that day. She has evented up to Intermediate on horses that she made.
For the hoity-toity pure dressage FEI instructor that comes to our barn regularly, I pay $100 for a 45 minute private when I can justify the expense.
I occasionally take from a 4 star rider (been on the Team a couple of times) for xc- I think she was $75 for an hour private on her xc course. It has been a while.

brii7
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:38 PM
My coach is young-too young to know so much! She has worked for/with many of the biggies including Sally Cousins, Philip Dutton, Eric Horgan. She is wise, very good with Old Hags :winkgrin: and children alike, has an incredible eye. Every lesson I have with her leaves me in awe. I've known her since she was a ratty little 12 year old and I am always amazed at her depth of knowledge and understanding...Anyhow, her lessons are an hour tho she'll go over time if necessary and she'll call it quits if I've had enough, they are $65 and worth well more than that.
She's competed successfully through CCI** (full) and is now bringing 3 youngsters along. We're all heading to Aiken in 3 weeks, yay.
She's based in Massachusetts, travels all over everywhere to teach clinics and spends the winter in Aiken.

Who do you ride with??? I'm in MA.

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:29 PM
$70 private for FEI instructor, "S" dressage judge, grand prix rider
$60 private for Eventing instructor, competed several times at Rolex and placed in the top five in the distant past
$65 private for ICP Level III Eventing instructor, add $10 to travel to your barn
$100 private for Eventing instructor with Olympic medal
$30 group lesson for young eventing instructor that has competed to intermediate

I think lessons for each of these technically last 45 minutes, but in actuality take as long as they need from 20 minutes to 2hours.

Everyone worth every penny.

VicariousRider
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:46 PM
26 y.o. who worked for P.D. & Derek DeGracia (sp?) and has competed at 3-4 CCI*** and is consistently competitive at intermediate/advanced. She will be entering first Rolex **** this spring (knock on wood!). SE PA. $65/ private hour.

Meredith Clark
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:55 PM
I live in Northern MD but take lessons in SE PA

Trainer has competed Advanced/ 3 star level

Nice farm with big indoor

I pay $55 for 45mins to an hour

Meredith Clark
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:56 PM
26 y.o. who worked for P.D. & Derek DeGracia (sp?) and has competed at 3-4 CCI*** and is consistently competitive at intermediate/advanced. She will be entering first Rolex **** this spring (knock on wood!). SE PA. $65/ private hour.

I thought we were riding with the same person until I saw the price... who is your trainer? (you can PM me)

ThirdCharm
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:06 PM
In NC:
eventing: $65/hour group lesson, 2-3 riders, BNT with impeccable creds. Try to do 2 lessons/month

Dressage: $100/45 minute private, Grand Prix rider who trained with Conrad Schumacher. Not very often! but now that my young horse is moving up I'll be trying to get with her more....

Jennifer

KBG Eventer
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:37 PM
West TN
$50, 45 minutes private dressage lesson with USDF certified trainer through 4th Level, "L" judge, USDF Silver medalist, and competed through Intermediate I on self trained horse.

$55, 45 minutes-1 hour private jumping or dressage lesson with Olympic Eventer with self trained horse.

Middle TN
$75, 1 hour private dressage or jumping lesson with trainer who has competed through CCI**** on self trained horses, ICP Level 4 instructor, graduate A Pony Clubber, and former National Examiner.

deltawave
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
Southwestern MI

CCI*** level rider/instructor on the Developing Rider list for 2010

Lessons or training rides (six per month) are included in the winter training board I use to keep my horses from standing belly-deep in snow from Christmas until Easter: I don't have an indoor at home. :) But what I pay in the summer is around $25 for a weekly (sometimes 2x/week if I'm lucky with my schedule) 30-minute private lesson, plus I think there's a small per-lesson haul-in fee for non-boarders--I keep mine at home in the summer.

Friday1
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:14 PM
bump

Ibex
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:23 PM
Lower Mainland of BC - $45, but I board at her barn (she's BO/BM/Trainer)

EC II Coach who is also an examiner and former pony club instructor. Former eventer turned FEI Dressage rider.

She's mostly a dressage trainer these days, but teaches a very solid all-round foundation, and will coach at local events or jumper schooling shows up to about training level, or 3'3" - 3'6" jumpers. If you want to go further, she'll help you find another trainer (it's usually the kids who get "graduated" elsewhere).

Meredith Clark
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:45 PM
$100 private for Eventing instructor with Olympic medal

who in MD has an Olympic medal?

trafalgar
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
In general I think lessons are too expensive and if teachers were more reasonable I think a lot more people would be taking them. Obviously there are people in very high demand with great records and they can justifiably demand a high price but I wish there were more just good horsemen with a good eye who were less expensive and easier to find. $50.00 or $60.00 X4 makes the monthly bill much higher and especially if you are talking about someone who does this as a second job that is a very high hourly rate.

JumpingBug
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:28 PM
p

JumpingBug
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:30 PM
Personally pay between $65 and $100 from other professionals or clinicians.

I charge $45 for groups for return clients (up to 5 people) and $65 or a 45 min private return clients. Most of my students (75%) are in packages that range from $575 t0 $775 a month.

California

Meredith Clark
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:50 PM
In general I think lessons are too expensive and if teachers were more reasonable I think a lot more people would be taking them. .

I think some of that is because it's really expensive to have the insurance to cover lessons. You have to teach a lot of lessons to cover insurance costs and for upper level riders who spend a lot of time competing they don't have as much time for lessons and have to charge more.

Even as a smurf I've had people (people I work with or family... not people off the street!) as me to give lessons but the insurance is so expensive I couldn't charge a rate that would be appropriate for my skill level ($20 maybe?) and cover insurance and other lesson giving costs.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:17 AM
I think some of that is because it's really expensive to have the insurance to cover lessons. You have to teach a lot of lessons to cover insurance costs and for upper level riders who spend a lot of time competing they don't have as much time for lessons and have to charge more.

Even as a smurf I've had people (people I work with or family... not people off the street!) as me to give lessons but the insurance is so expensive I couldn't charge a rate that would be appropriate for my skill level ($20 maybe?) and cover insurance and other lesson giving costs.

That.

teddygirl
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:56 AM
$55 for *** rider, in barn rate, 45 min lesson
$60 for instructor who rides at Intermediate and travels to our barn, 45 min
$100 for GP dressage trainer at his barn

In Maryland

Viva
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
Trafalgar, between insurance, mortgage and other upkeep on the farm, expenses to keep their own horses horses going (essential to stay relevant and maintain good teaching/training skills) and putting gas in the truck, most trainers are lucky if they can make a living (as in pay the rent and groceries) with this job. Very, very few are getting rich doing this, and most of those started out either rich, well-connected or both to begin with.

dixiedolphin
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:26 AM
I live in Central Florida, and take my lessons way out in the boonies.

Private lessons, approx. 1 hour, $40.

My instructor does actively event, up to Advanced level. She's not exactly a BNT, but I love her teaching style and its well worth the hour & a half drive out to her barn!

curlykarot
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:43 AM
Maryland

** rider, fabulous coach

$40/ half hour private

circusponydreams
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:59 AM
I ride with two great coaches in South Jersey - an active Advanced rider with a ton of experience: $65 for a half-hour private lesson or 45-minute group lesson (when I do this, it's just with one other horse/rider). You can jump or flat...I always jump with her.

Younger trainer who's ridden to Advanced: $25 for a half-hour private lesson or (I think) $35 for a group. I think she undercharges.

mellsmom
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:14 AM
If you have your own farm, you can roll it into your commercial liability policy on your home and barn. It covers you teaching up to 15 lessons a week on or off your property.

So, if you taught 24 lessons a year at $30 each, you should be able to cover it.

I, myself cannot afford lessons. I used to get once a week from an UL rider at $40. But alas, there is no such person where I live now and most people are $65-85, which is just frankly more than I can spend. There are a couple of others that are slightly more reasonable, but they want to teach during the week when I work or won't come for less than 4 people. I don't run a boarding barn so I am SOL on that count.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:02 AM
Brii7, i sent you a PM yester

Brandy76
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
Meredith Clark - you have a pm

trafalgar
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:07 AM
I must admit I never thought about insurance. This world we live in certainly makes you have to look for the i (plural) to dot.

Merle
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:10 AM
Lessons with a dressage instructor about once a month. She competes self-trained horses at the Grand Prix level. She travels to a barn that I trailer to (20 minutes for me to trailer there) and it costs $75 for a private 45 min lesson, plus a $10 ring fee.

fordtraktor
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
Agree with mellsmom that insurance is not the real sticking point on price -- mine was $600/yr when I was teaching. I could recover it all in one or two sunny weekends charging $25/lesson (groups of 2-3).

The cost comes mostly from facilities, I think. Nice footing and a nice indoor are really, really expensive.

Martina
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:13 PM
Mass:
$80/ 1 hour private with grand prix dressage coach
$25/ 1.5 hour group stadium/ gymnastics with Jumper trainer

My coach is young-too young to know so much! She has worked for/with many of the biggies including Sally Cousins, Philip Dutton, Eric Horgan. She is wise, very good with Old Hags and children alike, has an incredible eye. Every lesson I have with her leaves me in awe. I've known her since she was a ratty little 12 year old and I am always amazed at her depth of knowledge and understanding...Anyhow, her lessons are an hour tho she'll go over time if necessary and she'll call it quits if I've had enough, they are $65 and worth well more than that.

Do you mind sharing who this is, or PM me?

yellowbritches
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
In general I think lessons are too expensive and if teachers were more reasonable I think a lot more people would be taking them. Obviously there are people in very high demand with great records and they can justifiably demand a high price but I wish there were more just good horsemen with a good eye who were less expensive and easier to find. $50.00 or $60.00 X4 makes the monthly bill much higher and especially if you are talking about someone who does this as a second job that is a very high hourly rate.
For most people I know who run a boarding and training business, the only way they can actually MAKE a little money is by teaching. This is the case for our barn. Just about every red cent our customers pay us for board goes RIGHT BACK INTO THE BARN (and then some, some months). Our board is just about as high as our market can stand...if we went any higher, we'd price ourselves out of business. It is very expensive to run a boarding facility, so if a trainer wants to have actual income, they need to teach.

The boss' lessons are $65 a lesson. He rode at advanced and has a very, very strong dressage background, among other things.

Mine are $50, but I do basically neighborhood kids...so beginners (I can and do help our clients, but I don't ever ask to be paid from them...too nice). I am priced fairly (and cheap in comparison to others) for the area.

We are in MD in a suburb of DC.

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
who in MD has an Olympic medal?

Sorry... she is in Virginia, Kim Severson.

skip916
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:16 PM
omg i am paying too much :(

Flying Hippotamus
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:21 PM
I was paying $50 to my old trainer (rode to prelim)but I know some of that went back to the barn where she worked because she had an exclusive. But she still charged $50 if you went somewhere else like the horse park. Also $50 for schooling at shows even if it is just 15 mins.

My current trainer is $30 I don't know her exact riding eperience but I know how her current clients are doing at shows - AEC's and dressage championships. Also I really respect her eye and knowledge. She has a regular full time job sometimes difficult to work around our schedules. FREE to school at shows and she will groom or tack or whatever is needed.
Unfortunately my barn owner just asked her for $10 per lesson. At first I thought well that's normal but then I started to get a little annoyed. I asked my trainer to come she's not asking them to use the ring for lessons. She would not even cover her gas for $20 a lesson so of course I will pay it. It just seems a little weird for me to pay an extra $10 for the priviledge of being able to take a lesson at the barn where I pay board. What difference does it make if I am just riding by myself or riding with someone standing in the middle of the ring? WDYT

quietann
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:01 PM
With the price of everything going up these days, I thought it might be interesting to poll to see what folks are paying for lessons these days.

For context probably need to know
Where you live
Experience, Discipline of person you are riding with
Length of lesson and type (private, small group 2-3, large group

Not actively pursuing eventing right now but here's a data point...

I'm north of Boston.
For the winter I'm taking a mix of flat and very low level jump lessons from two people who are not UL but have certainly been around, in jumping and in dressage (but not eventing).
With one, a 30 minute private lesson (which sometimes goes to 45 minutes) is $50 and with the other, a 45 to 60 minute private lesson is $65.
In the spring/summer, I'll have an hour private dressage lesson every other week, with a trainer who's competed through GP but had to stop riding for health reasons, and teaches all levels of dressage from Intro to GP, for $75. It is well worth it -- I love her! I will also take a lesson a week from the first person I mentioned, who is her daughter.

The dressage trainer I previously had my horse in full training with is also a GP level rider/teacher (was short listed for the Olympics in 1988 and has competed some well known horses), not quite as suited to "smurfs" like me, but very kind and patient. She charges $85 for a one hour private and $55 for a half-hour private, plus $10 if she has to travel.

When I was still eventing, I had a few lessons with a local "medium level trainer" who has competed through Intermediate and was very good for my level at the time (BN, aspiring to N). She charged $45 per person for a one hour semi-private lesson not on her farm. This was in New Hampshire.

With everyone except the "warm weather" dressage trainer, I'd actually prefer a semi-private but they are hard to arrange. Sometimes I don't want to be the sole focus for the entire lesson!

ponygirl
Jan. 13, 2010, 02:43 PM
Florida-
Jumper trainer (retired international GP rider) $50 a lesson.
Eventing trainer (Olympic rider/WEG rider) $85 a lesson which lasts anywhere from 1 hr to 1.5 hrs depending on what he wants accomplished.

roki143
Jan. 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Located in Triangle Area, NC

$55 for hour with FEI dressage rider

Did take from awesome advanced level eventer (but not well known) for $40 hour! Unfortunately, he left the area.

Will hopefully start with jumper instructor soon, but not sure about those rates.

I get around $40/hr for private on client's own horse (taught at client's own facility), and $40-$45 for lessons on the barn's horse - where there is a lesson mount available (of that $5-$15 goes back to the barn). Some of the facilities vary a little bit, but that's fairly close to average.

Viva
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:51 PM
"Unfortunately my barn owner just asked her for $10 per lesson. At first I thought well that's normal but then I started to get a little annoyed. I asked my trainer to come she's not asking them to use the ring for lessons. She would not even cover her gas for $20 a lesson so of course I will pay it. It just seems a little weird for me to pay an extra $10 for the priviledge of being able to take a lesson at the barn where I pay board. What difference does it make if I am just riding by myself or riding with someone standing in the middle of the ring? WDYT"

Flying Hippo, your barn owner is charging your trainer because if your trainer is earning income on the BO's property, she needs to contribute part of that income to the running of the facility. For example, many people sub-let their office space by the hour (e.g. a group of massage therapists using the same office on different days). Everyone who uses the office has to pay rent, not just the person whose name is on the lease. Otherwise your BO is subsidizing other people's salaries and not making her own business stronger. Charging a ring fee to outside instructors is common practice and $10 is a fair rate, at least in the NE.