PDA

View Full Version : Another CANTER cutie!

foxrun
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:22 AM
So what does everyone think of this guy as an event prospect? I am on the hunt for one to bring up the levels and i love this guys gerneral impression. Any thought?

http://canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1475:final-knockout&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=305

Gry2Yng
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
Wow! Long in the back, but both of mine are long in the back. I would drive a good distance to look at that one.

Brooke
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:35 AM
Maybe my monitor's off, but he didn't look that long to me. Could we pick him apart? Sure. But he seems athletic and has a kind look to him. I'd go look at him in a flash.

Beam Me Up
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:27 PM
The thumbnails are distorted (squished vertically)--he looks extra long in them

JER
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:39 PM
If you click on the photos, you'll see a less-elongated horse.

Nice feet, nice bone, looks athletic.

Toadie's mom
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:04 PM
Go look at him! This is the 1st one that's been posted in a long time that I really like. Just looks overall very well balanced (especially if he's really 16.3).

snoopy
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:14 PM
Yes do click on the photos...you will see a different "picture" of this horse. A VERY nice type indeed.:yes:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
There was a thread on him a couple weeks...maybe months ago in the H/J Forum. So he may or may not be still available. But I do like him...nice type.

Toadie's mom
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:47 PM
Ok, I just looked up his pedigree and now you really must get him. Kauai King is the 1st horse I remember watching in the Derby. No B S ... I actually picked him to win and of course being a horse crazy 12yr old, I was then convinced that I knew all there was to know about race horses :winkgrin: I remember agonizing over how to pronounce his name. I didn't want to be embarrassed, and some reporters actually pronounced it Cow ee King.

Just to show my true handicapping skills, I think the next winner I picked was Secretariat.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:01 PM
Wow! Long in the back, but both of mine are long in the back. I would drive a good distance to look at that one.

Sorry, I didn't mean "Wow, really long in the back." I meant "Wow, really nice horse. The only possible fault might be long in the back." I clicked on thumbnails and proportion does get better. Regardless, REALLY nice looking horse. Wish I was looking.

ETA: I just looked again. Maybe I should make room.

lalahartma1
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:37 PM
Very handsome!

foxrun
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:38 PM
So I called, no aswere, left a message with my cell #, no reply yet. Do i call again? The guys voicemail recording was in spanish and i could not understand any of it but i am assuming it was the right numeber.

Savoy 8
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:45 PM
I talked with the guy about this horse. I was planning on taking a look at him as well. Yes, he is spanish and does not speak great english. Hard to understand him on the phone.

clivers
Jan. 13, 2010, 08:09 AM
That horse has the most perfect back end I've seen in forever. Perfect rear triangle, perfect LS placement, stifles well below the level of the sheath, hocks nice and low and perfect. He's STUNNING. Add to that the light front end with that stunning shoulder and uphill build and I would say RUN TO THAT TRACK WITH CASH IN HAND!!!! Seriously - nicest looking horse i've seen in forever. Thank God my passport is expired because I'd be on my way with my trailer if it wasn't!

mcorbett
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
I've been admiring him for awhile. I would have jumped but he was a bit too much $ for my budget. GET HIM!

vineyridge
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
He's gorgeous. Very classic TB looks. Reminds me a whole lot of my old foxhunter who could do everything well.

Since you wouldn't be planning on breeding him and since you probably wouldn't need an iron horse, all the lines to Native Dancer wouldn't bother me at all. I don't know if he'll ever make a CCI 3 or 4* horse with that breeding, but for anything less, I'd snap him even if he is expensive.

Since he's in PA, you might keep an eye out with Barbara L in case he should come through her program.

scubed
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
Quick, get him before I decide I should (because I really don't need another horse). He is a bit too big for me, but really nice.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
Has this horse been purchase yet? I need to know I can no longer have him. I am getting tempted.

foxrun
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:47 PM
I have a date with this hunk at 11a.m. tomorrow! I am getting excited! will take pics!

Gry2Yng
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
I have a 2005 model, I have a 2005 model, I have a 2005 model.

Let us know what you find. He is totally my type.

My barn isn't finished. My barn isn't finished. My barn isn't finished.

It is colder than hell, it is colder than hell. It is colder than hell.

bip
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:19 PM
I have a date with this hunk at 11a.m. tomorrow! I am getting excited! will take pics!

If he is too quiet for you because you are looking for something with a lot of pep and a fiercely competitive spirit, let me know and I will go grab him. He looks so much like my first horse, it is killing me.

rideforthelaurels16
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:18 PM
DEFINITELY keep us posted! He's absolutely stunning!!!

foxrun
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:50 PM
I am in love...... :) !!!!!!!!

The pics on CANTER do not do him justice, what a gentelman! He was such a sweety and from what i saw when he jogged up he definately has movement. i am so excited! Vetting tonight!

fingers crossed! pics to come!

spaceagejuliet
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
He's classically handsome!! Definitely worth a visit, with checkbook in pocket.

If you're trolling for bad points, yeah hes maybe a bit long. And maybe take a long look at that FL hoof? Looks a bit clubby in the photo.

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:07 PM

The pics on CANTER do not do him justice, what a gentelman! He was such a sweety and from what i saw when he jogged up he definately has movement. i am so excited! Vetting tonight!

Good luck! :yes:

clivers
Jan. 14, 2010, 06:39 PM

So excited for you!!! Fingers def crossed!!!

eventingismylife
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:31 PM
If I were you and lived A LOT closer to PA I would definitely got check him out asap. Totally my kind of guy- big and sane. What more could you ask for?

Gry2Yng
Jan. 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
Not sure whether to be happy or sad that you are vetting him. ;)

Gayla
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:48 PM
OMG. How long could a vetting take. Where are the pics...and results...:D. I get excited when even other people buy a horse. Sick.

bip
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:55 PM
OMG. How long could a vetting take. Where are the pics...and results...:D.

:lol: Don't feel bad, I was just thinking the same thing. I was also thinking the same thing as Gry2Yng! So I guess I am twice as sick :eek:

foxrun
Jan. 14, 2010, 10:58 PM
I am still crying. how pathetic am i.

My dream horse had lovely flections but x-rays weren't exactly perfect and i had to make a decision whether or not to take a risk. I have had bad luck with risk taking in the past and i made the difficult (in fact it almost killed me) decision to pass him up. :(:sadsmile:

He will make someone an amazing horse.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 14, 2010, 11:36 PM
foxrun,
despite my "happy or sad" post, I am truly sorry for your disappointment.

gry

rideforthelaurels16
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:15 AM
Aww, I'm sorry :( You'll find a fantastic one soon enough - especially if you're willing to travel, and look at Mid-Atlantic and Mass. listings too!!! So many fantastic TBs needing homes, and they're extra-cheap at Suffolk Downs (like $500!).

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 15, 2010, 12:14 PM
bummer.....Do you know if he still racing or done?

Savoy 8
Jan. 15, 2010, 02:23 PM
I just talked with the trainer/owner of this horse. Hope this doesn't offend... he stated the horse is sound and had x-rays yesterday and they were clean :(... Not the most honest guy on the street. He did say though that the horse is racing tonight, and he has a few other horses coming in and needs him to go. He said someone can have this horses for $1500... he also said though that money talks and he had someone who was going to pick the horse up if no one buys him.

bip
Jan. 15, 2010, 02:43 PM
Is he really being dishonest? I've always been under the impression that racehorse people have a different definition of "clean x-rays" than sporthorse people.

clivers
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:01 PM

My dream horse had lovely flections but x-rays weren't exactly perfect .

How imperfect were they? which ones? feel free to PM if you prefer,
gl

foxrun
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:03 PM
The guy seemed not to mind what we found (because he said the horse has been sound with NO issues), he just wanted to make sure we did not find chips or anything elce, which we did not. if some one is serious about this issue PM me, Just keep in mind that i just met this horse yeterday and all i know is what the trainer told me, what i saw the few minutes when i was with him, and what we found at the vetting.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:12 PM
What did the xrays show? Very few horses are going to have perfect xrays but are totally sound. And those with perfect xrays will probably colic or run through a fence...

bip
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:43 PM
And those with perfect xrays will probably colic or run through a fence...

Isn't that the truth.

Beam Me Up
Jan. 15, 2010, 06:07 PM
I think it's usually the case that the seller is not concerned about the x-rays, because the horse is currently and "has always been" sound.

Esp true of OTTBs where we have a totally different timeframe of interest than race folks.

Changes that "could become an issue" or "will likely need maintenance" in 3-5 years are not a crisis for next week's race, but may be an important factor if planning to buy a horse for the long haul.

It's totally up to the buyer if the vetting results are satisfactory to them--no right or wrong. Since they aren't satisfactory for her, and he's cute, someone less worried about those findings should definitely snap him up.

Savoy 8
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:51 PM
After talking with the trainer... he said he would take $1500 for the horse... but also told me cash talks and that he needs to find this horse a home because he has 2 other horses coming in and needs room. I think if someone had a $1000 in hand he would take it!

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:02 PM
"It's totally up to the buyer if the vetting results are satisfactory to them--no right or wrong."

Absolutely right.

Barbara L.
Jan. 15, 2010, 09:20 PM
We are always very upfront when eventing people in particular want to vet a horse from the track--and tell them quite honestly that very few will pass a vet-for purchase because if they have been racing for two or more years, non-racetrack vets will not pass them due to arthritic changes, etc.

All you need to know is if you have ever done the vet inspections at a 3-day, well, there are a lot of horses with worse looking legs/joints than you see straight off he track. I suggest getting an opinion from an orthopedic surgeon, and trying the horse out, since way of going and heart cannot always be predicted by xrays and a flexion test!

Not trying to steal an adopter, but we've got some short-coupled, short cannon bone-types (my favorite athletic build) guys and gals on our website.
Call for details!!! I have five more every week, and sometimes cannot keep up with the website....

Gry2Yng
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:03 PM
That being said, she has to decide what she can live with. My vet, who now does sporthorses, used to be a track vet. Great insight into what can manage the transition and what can't. I can't even begin to list all the jewelry my ** horse came off the track with, but I was willing to accept those things. Other things I might not. PP has not revealed the results of the radiographs, but it doesn't sound like she and the trainer are on the same page. There are also plenty of things a "final owner" can live with that someone who is interested in a "project" can not take a chance on.

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:17 AM

My dream horse had lovely flections but x-rays weren't exactly perfect and i had to make a decision whether or not to take a risk. I have had bad luck with risk taking in the past and i made the difficult (in fact it almost killed me) decision to pass him up. :(:sadsmile:

He will make someone an amazing horse.

You're not pathetic for crying. I've been sad in the past when I fell for a horse that I wasn't able to get. And don't be upset with yourself for turning the horse down. You made a decision that was based on what would work for you. There is nothing wrong with that. I am sorry that the horse didn't work out for you though.

Toadie's mom
Jan. 16, 2010, 01:43 AM
You would save a lot of time and money for others if you'd just post what your vet found. If you trust him, and you think it's something that "someone else might be able to live with", but you can't I don't think you're out of line to put it out here. Like I've always been told...If you give your vet enough time, and money, they are going to find SOMETHING wrong. After all, that's a big part of their job!

bip
Jan. 16, 2010, 03:59 AM
I don't think you're out of line to put it out here.

She shared it with me privately, and it really doesn't sound that bad (though for her purposes, I understand why it was a deal breaker).

But I think she is right not to post it here. I think there is value in respecting the trainer and vet by keeping their professional interactions in real life and off the internet. I crossed that line once and it turned into a very uncomfortable situation. These threads spin out of control very quickly, with everyone and their mother second guessing and full on tearing apart the professionals in question, without having an effing clue what is really going on.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:32 AM
I agree with not posting vetting results here. PM if you must, but not the stuff for a thread on the internet. Yes, they all have "something". But all somethings are not equal. I doubt the OP is looking for perfection.

Toadie's mom
Jan. 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
She shared it with me privately, and it really doesn't sound that bad (though for her purposes, I understand why it was a deal breaker).

But I think she is right not to post it here. I think there is value in respecting the trainer and vet by keeping their professional interactions in real life and off the internet. I crossed that line once and it turned into a very uncomfortable situation. These threads spin out of control very quickly, with everyone and their mother second guessing and full on tearing apart the professionals in question, without having an effing clue what is really going on.

You're right, I shouldn't have suggested this. I should know from reading this BB how people misconstrue things about 90 % of the time. My apologies.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 16, 2010, 10:24 PM
You're not pathetic for crying. I've been sad in the past when I fell for a horse that I wasn't able to get. And don't be upset with yourself for turning the horse down. You made a decision that was based on what would work for you. There is nothing wrong with that. I am sorry that the horse didn't work out for you though.

And I was sad when my favorite mare didnt stay sound two years later.......that is a tough situation as well. Keep looking at TBs! There are so many nice ones out there.