PDA

View Full Version : Rolex shopping? (yes starting early)

tempichange
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:17 AM
Aside from breeches, I'm looking to get in touch with the woman who hand paints those saddle pads with abstract horse designs. However I can't remember her name (help!!).

So gearing in, who has their shopping list ready?!

hearthorse
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
animalstowear.com

sisu27
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
Was thinking about saving my shopping for WEG this year. There will be two trade fairs, one at the park and one down town.

Little bit OT but I need to find those rolls of poultice paper. Can't find them in Ontario. That is on my list for either. Anyone know where to find?

FoxChaser
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen the poultice paper at Horse Cents in Versailles http://www.horsecentsinc.com/

DraperEquine
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:35 AM
Just out of curiosity what is the overall buzz everyone is hearing in relation to attending Rolex this year?
We keep hearing that most people are saving for WEG and not attending Rolex even though it'll be a qualifying event. I understand that most people in and around KY have it made, but what about those not near Lexington?

sisu27
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:27 AM
Just out of curiosity what is the overall buzz everyone is hearing in relation to attending Rolex this year?
We keep hearing that most people are saving for WEG and not attending Rolex even though it'll be a qualifying event. I understand that most people in and around KY have it made, but what about those not near Lexington?

It is a year to blow the budget and attend both!! Don't forget that after Rolex in the day there is showjumping and dressage in the evenings. Still not sure of who will be taking part....test run for the venue or test run for hopeful competitors? Qualifiers? I haven't found anything that clearly explains but either way I am excited!!

Tbboysx2
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
I am completely blowing my budget for the year and going to both. I am rationalizing it all by saying I want to "escape the real world"! Horses are one way I can do that. I think the Rolex schedule has regular dressage and showjumping in the evenings in the indoor arena as tests for WEG. Musical freestyle is on the agenda so should be a good way to see some of the riders in those disciplines that I will not get to see at WEG. I will get back to the real world after WEG!

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 12, 2010, 03:09 PM
Just wondering if there are really that killer of deals that one really make a shopping list for rolex? I am pretty sure I am going (just for one day) and want to be prepared if the deals are that great i cant pass up!

skip916
Jan. 12, 2010, 04:12 PM
can't afford WEG so i'm volunteering there and going to rolex just to enjoy it and see the test events. i'm also organizing a tack swap on friday night after rolex events finish at the la quinta closest to horse park in the lobby- join us and make some money so you can shop the next day at the trade fair or find great deals from other coth'ers. i'm totally in support of starting early with the list lest you get overwhelmed and come home with an insane amount of stuff and no money for board! :)

smay
Jan. 12, 2010, 05:15 PM
There isn't a whole lot of room in that LaQuinta lobby though... how are you going to do a tack swap there and would they LET you do that?

I don't think that there are any really INCREDIBLE deals to be had at Rolex at the trade fair - mostly just a nice selection of places that you might not normally get to shop, and the benefit of being able to pick up and handle the items rather than ordering something sight unseen online.

I did get an incredible amount of CortaFlex full-size samples last year though! I went back every day for another bottle! I especially like the free samples haha

staceyk
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:40 PM
And then when I got on my flight, I got charged $90 for all that liquid weight! This year I'm taking a car.

My favorite Rolex booths are a) the guys from FL that do mosaics of horses (gorgeous), b) the halter makers who have a million contrasting leather colors, and c) Gallops Saddlery -- nice ladies, beautiful products.

skip916
Jan. 12, 2010, 08:02 PM
its the laquinta on stanton way with the breakfast area- i already have permission plus i'm not expecting a HUGE amount of people- if we need more room we can move to the pool area outside. we will make it work! :)

i second the leather booth being a favorite- it's worth the money!

Equa
Jan. 13, 2010, 01:41 AM
I like the Dubarry stand - with the champagne they give you when you buy a pair of boots.

tle
Jan. 13, 2010, 04:47 PM
Not going to either actually. Can't afford it all and we want to go to Equine Affaire this year to checkout the new trail riding pavillion as well as basic farm stuff -- since by then we'll have been on OUR farm a month!! EEK!!

Use2event
Feb. 7, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have to admit I spend way more time then I should at the Rolex trade fair every year. I can't help it, they have an awesome selection of stuff both horsey and non. In fact it is the non-horsey booths I like the best. SRO is a fave (Sugar River Outfitters) - every year I buy outerwear that I constantly find my self saying "I love this...". There are others I love too, but SRO is the best in my opinion. Thoughts?

Auburn
Feb. 8, 2010, 11:28 AM
My DH and I are volunteering at Rolex and WEG. I usually work for BoB at Rolex and help out at the Area VIII booth.

Remember, you can check your purchases (for a small fee) at the Area VIII booth, while you watch Rolex. It is very nice not to have to lug them around or back to the car, until you are done for the day. :yes:

Since my DH retired in January and we don't have a clue when his first retirement check will arrive, I may not be buying anything at Rolex this year. :(

Hey Mickey
Feb. 8, 2010, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know if the booth that was all show jackets (it was in 1 of the back corners of the tradefair) is going to be back with the amazing deals....
I want to buy a shadbelly if I can find a good deal!

I'm going to the WEG also, we only live about 2 hrs away so I'm going down for the eventing and CDE cross country.