PDA

View Full Version : excited! just ordered a GPS

certifiedgirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
I have been researching and debating for several weeks about getting a GPS.
I finally decided on a hand held instead of the watch style. I wanted a few more mapping features than the watches seemed to offer. Also, thought it would be nice to take out when I go into the wilderness trails in the summer (just in case).
I can't wait to get it so I can use it when we are able to go out on our local trails and map them- and see exactly how far we are going on those training rides, might come in handy for cutting new trails too!

weasel1088
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
I have a full mapping gps and i love it on trails. i really like seeing how far ive gone and being able to upload my tracklog on the computer.

works great to geotag photos too!!

you will enjoy it!

JeanM
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:48 AM
Congratulations! I have had a handheld for over a year now & it really does boost confidence when I'm out exploring trails, plus it comes in very handy when conditioning - I know just how far we've gone & how fast. :cool:

A cautionary note -- I have a Garmin and the first time I used it, I was relying on the belt clip that mounts on a screwed-in "button" on the unit. Well, I got back to the trailer and discovered that the GPS had unscrewed itself from the button & dropped off! Lucky it wasn't too far back on the trail... :eek: I promptly ordered myself a retractable tether that attaches to the GPS itself and to a beltloop. I still use the belt clip as well - the tether is a backup in case the belt clip "system" doesn't work. :yes:

Daatje
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:51 AM
Awesome! Please do tell how you like it once you've been able to try it out. I REALLY want one for training and conditioning my foxhunter and I can't decide which model to get! (without spending $400, of course :))

So, which model did you get?

certifiedgirl
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the warnings about those clips, I've lost my cell phone before on the trail and have had to adjust how I carry it too.
I was hoping to get one of the smaller stowaway pommel packs to keep the gps in, and perhaps a bottle of water or something.

I ended up going with the Delorme PN-40- I just couldn't resist the detailed maps they showed on the website and read lots of favorable reviews from the geocaching bbs about this one.

I'll let you know how it works when I get it!

Oh, and I bought it on Amazon, they had the best price, almost $100 cheaper than the local REI and $50 cheaper than the Delorme website (and it is new).