PDA

View Full Version : jump requirements?

doublesstable
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:44 PM
I am purchasing some jumps for a schooling arena and for shows... do some groups that hold shows have requirements such as wood jumps or specific jump cups etc?

HunterRider992
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:59 PM
Are you asking what types of jumps H/Jers want or...?

doublesstable
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:17 PM
Asking the organizations requirments... like should the jumps be wood or is PVC okay. There are different jump cups. Some organizations require certain jumps.

We have an arena that we rent out to horse organizations. We want to invest in some jumps to lease out to these organizations to hold horse shows but want to make sure the jumps meet their clubs rules.

Thanks for your help.

Lucassb
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
Club rules can vary.

I personally don't use PVC rails (they can shatter and the shards can cause very serious injury, not to mention IMO they teach horses not to be careful.)

TalkIsCheap
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:54 PM
Sent a pm
You can also ask a local USEF course designer for input. They have some great ideas.

Hunter Mom
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
I believe ours requires that the back rail of oxers have breakaway pins. sorry not more help!

Haalter
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:00 PM
I would definitely contact representatives from the actual local groups that are your target market because rules vary so much from one organization to the next.

A number of clubs/orgs will specify whether the standards must have wings (generally a given for hunter classes, not so much for jumpers or eq).

Don't mean to insult you with very basic info, but in case you're starting from square one, generally speaking, hunter jumps are plain colored (white, natural, brown, hunter green) with solid colored painted or natural wood rails - with solid obstacles like a green roll top or a white or natural lattice or picket wall or a brush box or a red brick wall. As a side note, smaller (2'0 or so) solid obstacles are the most useful, as they can be used alone for smaller divisions with rails added over them for higher level classes...as well as making it easier to move the jumps around (a 3' wall is really hard to move around!)

Jumpers and eq - anything goes, that's where you'll see bright colors and striped rails. Hunter-style jumps can be used for jumpers and eq, but jumper/eq jumps should not be used for hunter classes. And legitimate local H/J associations will make that distinction, as per USEF guidelines.

I would also suggest avoiding PVC except for use as ground rails - it is much less durable than wood.

doublesstable
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you for all your responses......

I looked at the USEF rules and found out some things that you guys were talking about. All the years of showing I never noticed the Hunter jumps being solid poles. It is a USEF regulation. Striped rails, targets and square oxers are prohibited.

Learn something new every day.

It does specify jump cup standards but nothing about material like wood or plastic.

I always thought plastic held up better to weather than wood????

Maybe our schooling jumps could be plastic standards w/ wood poles and show jump standards wood w/ wood poles.???

Some of the jump companies make plastic walls and planks that are really cool. The material is made of what McDonalds makes their play land slides from. It does not crack like PVC.....

Anyone have these?

Haalter
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:31 PM
I am guessing that most organizations don't have regulations re: plastic vs. wood except maybe for rails(?) but I'd avoid PVC or plastic rails regardless. I know our local assoc. doesn't have any regulations like this.

Composite jumps from places like Jumpsusa will hold up great, but are crazy expensive. Not sure what you are describing, wondering about the cost? IME the less expensive plastic stuff is not very durable. My farm came with a bunch of mid-price PVC wing standards, and with fairly minimal use and exposure to the elements they basically fell apart or pieces broke while moving around, leaving sharp edges...not a good experience with them, and I replaced them with wood which has held up much better.

However, count on some replacement needed no matter what type of jumps you purchase. I've found that moving jumps for building new courses or putting in storage is more likely to cause breakage than having horses jumping them ;)