PDA

View Full Version : What does your stall front look like at shows?

eponacowgirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have to beg, borrow and steal rides to shows, so everything I need needs to be packable- I don't have the pleasure of working out of a trailer.

For the most part, I travel with two large-ish storage totes that have EVERYTHING I need in them, with the exception of my two saddles, bridles, fan and a bale of hay. I try to keep it simple so that whoever is picking me has it easy. I don't have a bunch of miscellaneous STUFF scattered around, just load those things, the horse and go.

Anyway, because everything I have has to be AT my stall, I have a hard time keeping organized without spreading CRAP everywhere.

Here is a picture of what I usually look like at a show:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33582932&l=aca24eb174&id=51801315

(Pardon all the pink- I got new, slightly bigger, muted colored totes to tone that down a little bit, too...:lol:)

Within those totes, I have everything organized in large cloth bags- horse boots in one bag, people boots in another, various hooks, stall guard, bungees, zip ties etc in another, grooming equipment in another, tack cleaning stuff in another. That usually works out ok. I keep my buckets in there, too, so when I take those out and hang them, I have a good bit of room in the tote.

I've since moved my bridle rack to the top of the stall door with a towel behind it. I'm struggling with saddle racks right now. You can see that I have this rack:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=LA-27516&tid=froogleSALE&CATALOG_CODE=1X814&EID=X1814001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=49&zmap=LA-27516

And frankly, I hate it. There isn't enough room to stack two saddles, half pad, regular pads on it. I was thinking about getting two of these:
http://www.horse.com/Single-Hanging-Saddle-Rack-WLR14.html?email=MRHSGOOG&mr:trackingCode=A56EA06B-E581-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

And have them side-by-side instead. I'm not sure if there is room for that... I think there would be, underneath the fan. Looks more stable, too.

So, what do YOU do that could potentially make my life easier?

CatchMeIfUCan
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:18 PM
This doesn't really help you with your saddle rack problem, but I hang these on the stall door and have one rubbermaid box for studs, boots, leads, hooks, etc.
http://www.horse.com/Enclosed-Tack-Carrier-Hanger-BRA61.html
http://www.horse.com/Portable-Grooming-Organizer-BRM10.html
The second one is really handy for when I groom because I can just carry it down to the other horses stall.

I have something like this: http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=5139 for my saddle pads because I get everything dirty. I just lay it on top of my hay bag. These bag type things are the only way I can keep myself organized, even though I do have a few "explosion" moments every show! I have a trailer, but don't keep anything in it during shows because I hate having to make treks back and forth without losing my parking spot for the truck! I keep my saddles and bridles in the car for the night.

I travel alone to almost all of my shows and can unpack/pack the trailer in less than 10 minutes by myself. I still haven't found the best way to store grain. Any ideas?

SkipChange
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:25 PM
What about just buying a second of the double saddle rack that you already have? And just put one saddle on each one. You can use the empty arm to put your saddle pads on. So like saddle on one arm, saddle pads beneath it. Repeat.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:29 PM
Sorry i am no help, but do you leave everything out all weekend? No one has ever had anything stolen?

eponacowgirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:32 PM
What about just buying a second of the double saddle rack that you already have? And just put one saddle on each one. You can use the empty arm to put your saddle pads on. So like saddle on one arm, saddle pads beneath it. Repeat.

Good idea- but I neglected to mention the fact that another reason I hate the double rack is that it takes up room "below" where I could have floor space!

Sorry i am no help, but do you leave everything out all weekend? No one has ever had anything stolen?

I leave everything but my saddles/bridles. They go in someone's truck or trailer or the hotel room if I have to.

KBG Eventer
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
I think you might be happier with one single tack trunk instead of separate bins. It can be a pain to carry them (the ones with wheels don't make much of a difference IMO), but eventers are so helpful + it sounds like you have other people with you so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Then if you're weird like me you can have fun organizing the inside to your liking. Small clear plastic containers work great, and you can store quite a lot in it even with a smaller trunk. I usually put it perpendicular to the stall front whichs frees up more space.

You could also try getting one or two more bridle racks because then you can get stuff off the floor and clear up some space for coolers and the hay bag.

I like the other saddle rack, but I don't know if two side by side would fit especially if the stalls have sliding doors like the KHP.

We usually just bring feed in paper bags and leave it in the trailer, stopping by in the morning and grabbing the AM and PM bags for that day. If we are bringing more than a couple of days worth of feed than we use these bins http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/food-storage/9799.asp for it.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:18 PM
I think you might be happier with one single tack trunk instead of separate bins. It can be a pain to carry them (the ones with wheels don't make much of a difference IMO), but eventers are so helpful + it sounds like you have other people with you so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Then if you're weird like me you can have fun organizing the inside to your liking. Small clear plastic containers work great, and you can store quite a lot in it even with a smaller trunk. I usually put it perpendicular to the stall front whichs frees up more space.

I actually have one large tack trunk... but it takes up too much space in the trailers of the people I haul with. :sigh:

The two are easier to stack/manipulate/toss where they need to go etc.

I know I'm full of excuses, but it does make me feel better to know I've tried a lot of the suggestions people are throwing out.

hearthorse
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:21 PM
I just found a smaller Stanley rolling trunk at Lowes. $50 and not quite as big as the big ones but not tiny, can fit a lot in there and it doesn't take up too much trailer room.

FlightCheck
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
I second the Stanley rolling trunk.

I used to put everything for the weekend out, but now just put what will be needed for that day out the night before (except bridle/saddle).

eponacowgirl
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
I second the Stanley rolling trunk.

I used to put everything for the weekend out, but now just put what will be needed for that day out the night before (except bridle/saddle).

Will buckets stacked three high fit in that?

FlightCheck
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
re: buckets.
Not unless you want them to be the only thing in the trunk ;)

Neets
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:23 PM
You are remarkably organized! I have one really big trunk that holds pretty much everything, but it gets really heavy and cumbersome. I usually travel with my trainer, and we both bring one stand-up saddle rack and we put both our dressage saddles on one and both our jump saddles on the other. We each bring about 3 bridle hooks, for show bags, bridles, halters, breast collars... the list goes on! We've found that you can never have too many of those things; no matter how many we bring, every hook is filled by Saturday. We usually spring for a tack stall, though, which makes it a bit easier to organize things. It would look like a mini-explosion if we had to keep all our stuff in the front of our stalls; we're definitely not the most organized. I have only one suggestion- if you bring hay baled with wire, the wires can be converted into convenient saddlepad or blanket/cooler holders; I actually use one to put up my horse's stall plaque :) Just be careful about rust; we lost one nice pad that way.