PDA

View Full Version : Adopted from South Jersey TB Rescue?

lyndieventer
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hi....
I just wanted to see if anybody else on the board has adopted from South Jersey TB Rescue? I just got a "war horse" 8 yr. OTTB gelding from them, and I thought it might be nice to network with other people who had adopted from them and see what they are doing with their horses. I plan on doing some low-level eventing with mine, but we will just have to see what he thinks about that ;) My gelding rode down from NJ with Megan's Pom-Pom to Nashville for those of you that saw that post! If you don't want to post to the board, you can always private message me :winkgrin:

Thanks = )
Lyndi

Meredith Clark
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:32 PM
I haven't adopted from them but I spoke to them when I was helping a barn mate re-home a OTTB she couldn't keep and also when my sister started looking for a horse.

They seem really legit and having the best interest for the horses.

caffeinated
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:06 PM
Iirc mcorbett just got a horse through them last week :)

TBCollector
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hi....
I just wanted to see if anybody else on the board has adopted from South Jersey TB Rescue? I just got a "war horse" 8 yr. OTTB gelding from them, and I thought it might be nice to network with other people who had adopted from them and see what they are doing with their horses. I plan on doing some low-level eventing with mine, but we will just have to see what he thinks about that ;) My gelding rode down from NJ with Megan's Pom-Pom to Nashville for those of you that saw that post! If you don't want to post to the board, you can always private message me :winkgrin:

Thanks = )
Lyndi

What's his racing name?

SonnysMom
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:21 PM
I recently went to there to pick up a horse for somebody. IMO Erin was quite rude and left me with a really bad impression.
They were really disorganized and I left the barn with the horse to cross state lines with no coggins.

There were a few things about the electric in the barn that struck me as unsafe. Extension cords that were run over the top of the stall doors that were within reach of horses.

I want to make this clear this is my opinion and not the opinion of the person I hauled for. I had never met her prior to hauling for her and have only emailed her once since I dropped the horse off.

It also appears that horse had a prior injury that was not mentioned by Erin at the time adopter tried the horse.

It was mentioned after the horse was at new barn by another staff member. It was an injury that I thought should have been disclosed prior to adoption.

Based on this experience I would really think twice before adopting from there or donating there.

judybigredpony
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:35 PM
I recently went to there to pick up a horse for somebody. IMO Erin was quite rude and left me with a really bad impression.
They were really disorganized and I left the barn with the horse to cross state lines with no coggins.

There were a few things about the electric in the barn that struck me as unsafe. Extension cords that were run over the top of the stall doors that were within reach of horses.

I want to make this clear this is my opinion and not the opinion of the person I hauled for. I had never met her prior to hauling for her and have only emailed her once since I dropped the horse off.

It also appears that horse had a prior injury that was not mentioned by Erin at the time adopter tried the horse.

It was mentioned after the horse was at new barn by another staff member. It was an injury that I thought should have been disclosed prior to adoption.

Based on this experience I would really think twice before adopting from there or donating there.

DITTO*********

Meredith Clark
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:54 PM

Interesting.. I only corresponded with her via e-mail and she seemed nice, but I have no idea about her ability to run a rescue or care for horses.

Why did you take the horse with out a coggins? That would be a huge NO for me and of course any barn I would potentially be taking the horse to.

I agree with the extension cord thing. I did a co-op type situation once with a girl who didn't understand how much of a fire and safety hazard this was. It's one of those things I always notice now as a red flag for careless or ignorant horse people.

PnkPanthr
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:53 PM
All I can say is Erin is only trying to get rid of her horses, by any cost that takes. And unfortunately that means she is not every honest.

Before I found Jester, I looked at a horse she was selling before she started the SJTR. She said he was "her favorite"..but he was like 3 legged lame.

She also tried to sell my friend a thoroughbred that SHE KNEW my friend wanted to event, and turns out the horse has arthritic knees..and she knew it. She also told her that she couldn't use a certain vet(our vet) because she knew he would diagnose the horse as lame..WELL NO $#%^ sherlock, thats because he was!
She also raised and lowered the price of the horse multiple times whenever my friend was saying she didn't want him, or be, to speed everything up.

She occasionally does get nice horses through there, so I guess it doesn't hurt to look. But for God's sake, please don't trust her, or anything she says. Use your own judgement.

Muleskick
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:55 PM
DITTO*********

DITTO!!!!

CoolMeadows
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have one and I love him although he is... well, he's special.

I would not deal with that particular rescue again for a few reasons, but I'm happy for everyone who has SJTR horses. (or any OTTB for that matter) :)

lyndieventer
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:40 PM
The gelding I adopted was "Hold Hard". He is a "war horse" and raced over 110 times. He is very, very sweet and seems very smart. He does have an old injury that she "forgot" to mention, but he raced on it many times so I am trying to keep an open mind about it. I, myself, "blew out" my knee when I was 14 and while I am not quite as athletic as I was before the injury, I still workout pretty hard. I only plan on eventing him up to the Novice level, so I'm hoping he will be sound enough for that for a few years and then I will probably use him as a lesson horse.

After all the feedback from other people and my own observations, next time I will probably go directly through Barbara at Philadelphia Park's Turning for Home OTTB program. I've talked to her a couple of times and I really loved her honesty and straight forwardness. She seems to REALLY care about the horses in that program and I really admire her finding homes for some of the "not so perfect" OTTBs that are out there :)

mkevent
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:10 PM
lyndieventer-you've gotten some good feedback and advice here. I will also add if you google the name of the rescue's founder, you will get pages and pages on a CoTH thread from a few years back.

Personally, I have been impressed with MidAtlantic Horse Rescue although I've never adopted through them. They do seem nice, honest and knowledgable. I think they are into horse rescue for all the right reasons.

Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

SonnysMom
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:42 PM
Meredith- The only reason that I was willing to move the horse without a Coggins was I don't know of anybody that has ever been stopped in NJ or PA to check for coggins. I did have a copy of my horse's coggins in the truck so as long as the officer didn't know the difference between a sorrel and a bay so I was willing to chance it.

The horse was being moved to a place where the adopter only had her own horses and it was already cold enought there were no flys/mosquitos.

There were a few other electrical things that I saw that I thought were unsafe.
I got the distinct impression her goal was to move as many horses as possible not place them in an appropriate situation.

2boys
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:58 PM
Rerun is a great tb rescue in that area too.:D

lyndieventer
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:52 PM
I was originally just trying to network with other adopters who are eventing, but I guess this is good stuff to know to. Thanks for all the info posted :)

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
I stumbled upon this thread and wasn't sure whether to post or not, thinking maybe with the direction it was taking it should just quietly retreat into the background. Thanks to the OP for letting us know about her new project- I too have an old war horse that we rescued with the help of the Friends of Twilight, Horses Helping Horses, and Akindale Horse Rescue (not to mention MAHR.) We are now eventing, and he is FINALLY coming into his own and has decided that maybe he doesn't have it all figured out and maybe there is something besides the track- he is my boy, and I get this thrill each time I ride him (sometimes more "thrilling" than others.)

At any rate, please understand that all of us rescuers are not perfect, and we are always under pressure to get horses placed- we do try to get them in the best possible homes but don't always end up making the right choices- but hopefully we learn from our mistakes and do it better the next time. I would hope that Erin does not intentionally forget to tell people about problems, but think it is probably more a matter of how many horses and people she is juggling. She does event and does know her stuff and is helping a lot of horses, that I do know. I am pretty sure she stands behind her horses- I know we do here at MAHR, and if for whatever reason a horse might not work out, we will work with the adopter to come to a solution satisfactory to everyone. There is no point placing a horse in a home where it will not be able to physically or mentally meet the goals of the adopter- then no one is happy and we have not done our job well. (And thanks MKEvent for the thumbs up- that is always heartening!)

Just remember, there is a rescue and a program for everyone- if you want an event horse or heck, a tennessee walker- the strength of our rescues lies in our diversity. Do your homework and go with who you are comfortable with. Ask questions. Sometimes we might be in a total rush but be persistent. If you don't get the answer you need, think again before moving forward. If I don't know an answer, I will do my best to find out.

We have a great network of rescues across the country. Find the horse of your dreams at the rescue of your choice!

Izthatrt
Jan. 11, 2010, 05:45 PM
There's a SJ TB rescue??DArn..where have I been.

Meredith Clark
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:29 PM
There's a SJ TB rescue??DArn..where have I been.

In my post I'm talking about this rescue: http://www.sjtbadoption.org/

I don't want to speak for anyone else.

ShowJumper98
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hello,
I adopted RJS Bridgade, Hes coming along very well. I found about SJTB through Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue. I went and visted RJ before adopting him and thought the horses were in great care there. I think this rescue is an awsome program to give horses another chance after they werent succesful in racing. I did find out that RJ had an old bow that I wasnt aware of until after I adopted him and I did confront them, they said its because it was too small and it was healed by now. He still needs about 2 months off but I knew that before I adopted him. I hope he works out well! Erin does check in with me weekly to see how hes doing and that shows they truely do care about their horses and want to find good homes for them! They have some pretty good looking sound thoroughbreds there, i'd check them out!!

I love my neww bigg booy :p

lyndieventer
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:17 PM
I saw RJs Brigade and I really liked him a lot...he is VERY cute! So good to hear from another adopter :) Best of luck with him and I hope he ends up being a great horse for you!

I rode mine, Hold Hard aka "Benjamin", on Sunday and he was SO quiet....even when the barn manager was tossing hay bales from the hay loft into the indoor arena where we were riding. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting him to canter if you can imagine that! :winkgrin:

Lyndi

ShowJumper98
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
awee yeah hes going to be an awsome project. he LOVES being turned out all the time now! He was in for about 2-3 weeks due to such crappy weather so when I rode him down there he wasnt even crazy! Is that who you adopted Hold Hard aka Benjamin? I didnt see him.. Im going to train Rj to do hunters! Hbu?

caffeinated
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:27 PM
I did find out that RJ had an old bow that I wasnt aware of until after I adopted him and I did confront them, they said its because it was too small and it was healed by now.

Bows don't bother me that much because I don't intend to really do that much with a horse :)

But I'm confused, did THEY not know about it, or just not mention it because it was healed?

ShowJumper98
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
I dont think they mentioned it because it was healed. Its sooo small you can barley see it. I plan on doing hunters with him jumping 3" in a couple years. I think hell be a nice horse.

QuadNFarm
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:44 PM
I have adopted some amazing mares from South Jersey and Erin. I have had nothing but a wonderful experience with Erin and her program. She has never sent me a horse that was not exactly what she told me the horse was. She has always been upfront with me with the issues and I have access to the vets and the horses records. She checks in weekly, always returns emails, phone calls and texts.
I think that she and her nonprofit needs to be thanked for the wonderful job they do in keeping these beautiful animals safe and finding them wonderful homes. I do not know how she does it. I believe that they get approximately 4 new horses a week and there is a waiting list to get in. Perhaps if we stand in her shoes we would be in awe of what she and her staff of volunteers take care of at SJTB. Not only do they get horses thru Barbara and Turning for Home they take horses in from all of the country. My horses orginated from Turning for Home and Barbara sends almost all her horses thru Erin's organization. Those actions speak louder than words.

I have found nothing more inspiring in my horse life than working and loving these animals. Ultimately the welfare of the animal is the most important.

ShowJumper98
Jan. 19, 2010, 01:49 PM
I totally agree with you! I couldnt imagineeee all the work with the horses she already has then getting about 4 more in weekly. Her and her rescue needs to be appreciated for all the hard work thats put into it!

lyndieventer
Jan. 19, 2010, 02:59 PM
Showjumper- I am going to try to do some lower-level eventing with Benjamin...he seems to want to jump, but I don't think he would do well in the hunter ring as he has too much knee action...not daisy cutter enough IMO...we will just have to see what he thinks about the eventing!:winkgrin: He tried to jump those hay bales in the riding arena on Sunday, so I think he is going to be pretty fearless!