PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a figure 8

enjoytheride
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:05 PM
If so why? Because it's trendy and that's what eventers wear or for a specific reason it helps fix?

I'm thinking about gifting myself a figure 8 attachment when I move up to real live fences eventing and because I think it'll make my horse look more badass and less cute. Pretty selfish reasons obviously, but she also can be resistent in her jaw and chomps on the bit a lot when nervous or tense so.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:14 PM
I rode/ride old mare and my current gelding both in a figure 8 for all three phases. The mare would lock her jaw and gape her mouth if I wasn't PERFECT (and I'm not perfect, so...) and it kept the bit steadier in her mouth. She was in a mullen happy mouth, so anything we could do to keep things soft and steady for her, the better she did. She would cross her jaw frequently as well, so it was always on at shows. Right as I was getting ready to sell her I started riding her in a regular noseband, but she would always be pretty heavy in it- but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a crutch.

My gelding doesn't really need it. I could ride him in anything, but I do like the way it looks on him and it does help me soften his jaw dressage and jumping. It just kind of gives me a quick one up.

Peggy
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:42 PM
I use one at home on my hunter/eq horse b/c I feel that it gives me a touch more control and reminds him not to open his mouth. Don't use a flash b/c I am trying to avoid giving him dressage flashbacks:lol: Besides, it looks cool!

scubed
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:47 PM
I have used one for both the steadier in the bridle reason and the slightly better paying attention reason. I am using one on the current youngster for jumping, but probably don't really need it on him, still I think the steadier the better.

Amchara
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:03 PM
Ponies do look more badass with them, at least mine does.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Shurrayah/?action=view&current=Ami.jpg

I got a figure eight mostly because the only other bridle I had was very much a dressage bridle (complete with flash, which is needed), and I was having image-issues. I even got a dee ring for my "jumping bridle", so I look even more badass.

Then there is everything about a figure eight not restricting the breathing as much, yaddayadda.

Hey Mickey
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:06 PM
I use one while jumping mainley for the breathing thing.
Where the Figure 8 fits on a horses head, if its adjusted right it won't hit the fleshy part of the nose... the right words aren't coming to me,
The fleshy part above the nose where a flash normally hits.

I went to a talk about the EPIH (lung bleeding) and anything to make my pony breath better is the way I'm going to go.

Thames Pirate
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:24 AM
My mare, who also goes in a straight bit, will be fussy if the bit is not completely steady in her mouth. I think horses like epona's and mine like the security of something very still. She likes to think she can lean on the bit (and sometimes she'll still try, but mostly she just likes the security of thinking she can). She'll rear if I put something jointed in her mouth, so it's a dogbone bit for her. The figure 8 holds it steady, and it also prevents her from crossing her jaw, which she is prone to doing. There's the added breathing advantage, though I haven't noticed that one as much on XC because I never had my flash tight enough to really restrict breathing when we competed in it. She just honestly goes better in a figure 8 on the flat, so she's probably happier in it over fences!

I don't use one on the gelding, though he is a baby for whom that might change at some point.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:09 PM
My horse is turbo badass without any special tack, but he wears one for several reasons.

a) he has heaves, and figure eights give the most freedom of breathing.

b) he is a strong mofo, but he doesnt like strong bits, so with a cranked figure 8 I can tone down the bit to his liking.

c) his mouth is often open, even when the noseband is cranked. I think you can get a figure 8 tighter than any flash attachment.

My young one, he jumps in one too. Also because I dont want to bit him up, and because he has big fleshy nostrils and I want the most freedom for him to flap them around without constricting.

Sorelle Farms
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but while searching for more info on the Figure 8 topic (I'm apparently retarted at this "search" function) I ran across this thread.

Was wondering what are the most common bits people use with a Figure 8? I realize every horse is different in the bit department, so I was interested in seeing what the most common ones were.

I was given a nice Figure 8 for Christmas by a friend, and have never used one before. Was planning on just putting my loose ring Dr.Bristol mouth snaffle on it and seeing how my TB does..

TIA!

Catalina
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
My one guy goes in a figure 8 for the jumping phases (with a 3-ring French link Pessoa bit). He can get strong and lean on the bit and I find the combo of the 3-ring and the figure 8 helps lighten him (along with 5000 half halts :winkgrin:).

bigbaytb
Jan. 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
I like the fig 8's better than flashes.

My 17hh tb has a fig 8 with a myler snaffle. I can do all 3 phases and hunt him in this set up. he's pretty light in the mouth so even if he wants to rockett on xc, it's easy to take him back. He's a definate loose lipped likes to open his mouth type of horse. he can get anxious and grind teeth but have found he rarely grinds with the fig 8, which i don't crank too tight on him.

my wb mare i need a boucher with the figure 8. i switched for a 3 jointed boucher to a 2 jointed which made her very happy. She's a young horse and can get strong at times, but this gives me plenty of control when needed.

BigMick
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
Please! Figure-8 nosebands are sooo last season.

If you really want to look badass you need one of those new 5-point breastplates from BoB. Who cares if your saddle doesn't slip back? It has sheepskin and elastic on it!

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_5_Way_Breastplate_p/854.htm

;)

Beau Cheval
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:21 PM
Figure eights are the most comfortable noseband for horses, especially those doing strenuous exercise. It doesn't put pressure on a certain part on their nose that can cause (nosebleeds? discomfort? trouble breathing? all of above?) like a regular cavesson. Also, they are the most comfortable way to keep the horse's mouth closed (preferable to the flash) and usually this leads to a more relaxed jaw as opposed to a flash.

Hilary
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:26 PM
You might want to borrow one though, just to try it. My mare HATED it. And she tolerates a flash just fine for jumping. (goes in a cavesson on the flat)

I was surprised at the vehemence, but she's never short on opinions.

Peggy
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:58 PM
Figure eights are the most comfortable noseband for horses, especially those doing strenuous exercise. It doesn't put pressure on a certain part on their nose that can cause (nosebleeds? discomfort? trouble breathing? all of above?) like a regular cavesson. Also, they are the most comfortable way to keep the horse's mouth closed (preferable to the flash) and usually this leads to a more relaxed jaw as opposed to a flash.So it might help my friend's horse who sometimes has trouble breathing. Never thought about the fact that they might be better than a regular caveson?

After reading this thread I'm beginning to think that one of the reasons Star likes his is the fact that it keeps the bit steadier. The common theme in his collection of bits is flexible, but not with a single joint.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:34 PM

If you really want to look badass you need one of those new 5-point breastplates from BoB. Who cares if your saddle doesn't slip back? It has sheepskin and elastic on it!

;)

Hahaha! I dont know if its my disdain for fashion trends or what, but I find those hideous.

Equa
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:41 PM

;)

But BobTheHorse - they actually work - and are comfortable.

Maybe that's why Lucinda gave up on her disdain for breastplates and got one of these for her daughter!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=210065&id=1623780047#/photo.php?pid=210066&id=1623780047&fbid=1076906935925

McVillesMom
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:08 PM
My gelding goes in a figure 8 for jumping because he likes to cross his jaws. We used to use it for dressage as well, but he has recently "graduated" to a crank (without flash). I use mine with a french link eggbutt, and a running on cross country.

My mare used to go in one too, for the reasons Bobthehorse referred to above. :cool: She wore hers with a 3-ring regular snaffle at first, then a plain single-jointed eggbutt with a running.

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
Kobie has a figure 8 for jumping. He is super mega strong will lock his jaw. He has a harder time locking it with the figure 8. His has the sheepskin piece (not sure why, but it does). My pony, however, will flip over backward with a figure 8 (he is super mega ultra sensitive).
IDK, Kobie loves it and works better in a figure 8 than a flash.

So pretty much, I'm with Bobthehorse for the reasons I use it on Kobie.

I would borrow somebody's first though, just to see how your horse reacts to it. Just my 2 cents worth!! Good luck!!

Bobthehorse
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:54 AM
But BobTheHorse - they actually work - and are comfortable.

Maybe that's why Lucinda gave up on her disdain for breastplates and got one of these for her daughter!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=210065&id=1623780047#/photo.php?pid=210066&id=1623780047&fbid=1076906935925

All breastplates "work".

saje
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:56 PM
Figure eights are the most comfortable noseband for horses, especially those doing strenuous exercise. It doesn't put pressure on a certain part on their nose that can cause (nosebleeds? discomfort? trouble breathing? all of above?) like a regular cavesson. Also, they are the most comfortable way to keep the horse's mouth closed (preferable to the flash) and usually this leads to a more relaxed jaw as opposed to a flash.

A well fitted regular cavesson (no flash) should not impede breathing or cause pain or nosebleeds. The crossover point of a fig. 8 rests just about where a regular cavesson should, perhaps a titch higher.

The fig 8 is a much better choice, as a rule, for steadying the mouth and the bit than a flash though. Too many flashes I see just don't fit well, they've pulled the cavesson down too low on the nose and start to interfere with the soft cartilage at the the end of the nose bone. That can cause pain and breathing interference.

My horse hates the fig 8 and a dropped too, he hates the piece around his mouth to the point of total distraction. He goes much more happily in an un-cranked crank noseband. It's snug but not tight. He's generally a good boy but will let you know quiockly & quite emphatically if something is uncomfortable :cool:

texang73
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:12 PM
I do, but because he needs it (he likes to open his mouth and cross his jaw on occasion)... If he didn't need it I wouldn't use it.

DQ Eventer
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:42 PM
A bit off topic, but did anyone note the figure-8 used on Robyn Fisher's 4 year old YEH Champion, "Artesian?" It appears to made of rolled rope, is this correct? Does anyone know the pros/cons of this construction? And who manufactures it? TIA!

Ishi
Jan. 13, 2010, 11:42 AM
Too many flashes I see just don't fit well, they've pulled the cavesson down too low on the nose and start to interfere with the soft cartilage at the the end of the nose bone. That can cause pain and breathing interference.

I see this all the time too, and I despise ill fitting flash nose bands. The only one I've seen that stays in place in one with a crank nose band.

My Prelim gelding goes in a shadow roll, and I just dropped the figure eight with him, he went in both a few times, but it was overkill. He seems to still need the shadow roll so that's all he goes in and a nathe 2 ring bit.

My mare that I galloped on the track HATES figure eights. Took me one ride at home to put two and two together. Regular everyday galloping on the track she went in a plain nose band and while she was fit and strong, she was lovely to gallop. Gate work or breezing, she went in a figure eight. Put that on her, she knew she was working, and she grew from 15'1 to a 17'1 monster and was almost unholdable getting into the work!

So far in her retraining she is just in a plain nose band, and I'm hoping she'll stay that way, I think simple is better, especially when you have 10 to ride a day, the less I have to put on/take off, fiddle with, the happier I am :D

yellowbritches
Jan. 13, 2010, 12:40 PM
A well fitted regular cavesson (no flash) should not impede breathing or cause pain or nosebleeds. The crossover point of a fig. 8 rests just about where a regular cavesson should, perhaps a titch higher.

The fig 8 is a much better choice, as a rule, for steadying the mouth and the bit than a flash though. Too many flashes I see just don't fit well, they've pulled the cavesson down too low on the nose and start to interfere with the soft cartilage at the the end of the nose bone. That can cause pain and breathing interference.

My horse hates the fig 8 and a dropped too, he hates the piece around his mouth to the point of total distraction. He goes much more happily in an un-cranked crank noseband. It's snug but not tight. He's generally a good boy but will let you know quiockly & quite emphatically if something is uncomfortable :cool:
Ditto all of the above regarding fit.

If Vernon wore a figure 8, he'd look like such a badass that he'd scare all the competition away. ;) He goes in a plain cavesson and straight bar, plastic bits. He loves both.

I only use figure 8s if I need them. I prefer them to flashes as I feel I have better control on how they fit. But I don't use anything because it's "trendy." I use what works for that horse....nothing more, nothing less.