PDA

View Full Version : What color breeches with brown?

Heinz 57
Jan. 9, 2010, 07:41 PM
I find myself all at once having stumbled upon a brown pinstripe GP coat, as well as a pair of pretty brown field boots. Sold separately, and at fire sale prices that force me to buy them.

So, I beg the question: what color breeches go best with brown? The coat has a light blue lining, though I have yet to determine what shirt color I'll be wearing. I know the brown/blue combo has been done to death, but I'm not particularly tired of it yet and haven't seen it much locally. In addition, I have light grey/blue eyes and who can really resist a shirt that brings out the color of your eyes?

Tan? Beige? Certainly not green-beige. Maybe a darker tan?

llsc
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:14 PM
True tan or RUST!!! I love the blue shirt with the brown coat. My darling daughter sports it with her brown helmet. Now you will also need a brown helmet to really pull the whole thing together. :)

Here's a picture of her in her brown and blue.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2676079740084673271kfmfSG

howardh
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:31 PM
A lighter tan that is a clear true color. I don't know how to explain it but blue to me is crisp so the tan can't be muddy....

superpony123
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:44 PM
tan. NOT PUKE GREEN 'beige"!

SkipChange
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:13 PM
I would go light. Colors are so confusing on breeches...like ariat "beige" or Tailored Sportsman "tan"

snaffle635
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
True tan or RUST!!! I love the blue shirt with the brown coat. My darling daughter sports it with her brown helmet. Now you will also need a brown helmet to really pull the whole thing together. :)

Here's a picture of her in her brown and blue.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2676079740084673271kfmfSG

That may just be the cutest little girl and pony I have ever seen!

snaffle635
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:20 PM
The Tailored Sportsman Professional in tan would be perfect. Check out Smartpak for pics...the pics are fairly true to color.

Lucassb
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:10 AM
I wear tan breeches with my brown coat. It's one of my favorites, actually.

Hunter Mom
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:59 AM
I happened across a lovely brown jacket on clearance at Equestrian Collections, and totally understand. Sometimes, yo just HAVE to buy things:winkgrin:. I would say no tans with yellow or green undertones. Stay with a cool, true tan.

I've only worn mine once, and wore a blue Ariat shirt under which I felt was a lovely combo - of course, it came the day before the last show of the season, so I didn't have time to go shop and had to wear what I had in my closet. Guess I'd best hit the store to make sure there isn't a better combo out there :)

Lucassb
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:22 AM
I wear a light purple shirt under my brown coat. It sounds loud - but it's actually very subtle. It's one of my favorite shirts, and I wear it under charcoal and navy, too.

llsc
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:18 PM
That may just be the cutest little girl and pony I have ever seen!

Thanks. They are a cute pair. I adore this pony. He's exactly the kind of pony every kid needs. He is pesky enough to make the kid sit up and ride, but he will jump anything you head him toward and although he has auto changes, you don't really need them, because he lands every lead by looking at where he's going next. He's a smart, smart guy.

I have to agree with Lucassab about the purple with brown also. I bough a GP coat in brown with a purple lining and pinstripe. It's the prettiest thing I've ever seen. It's a 12 short, so it won't fit the kid for years, but it was on the consignment rack for peanuts and it's so beautiful that I couldn't pass it up.

snaffle635
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:01 PM
I often wear a pale lilac shirt with my brown coat and get a lot of compliments. Sometimes pink and brown works well too. Love brown...very versatile!

englishivy
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:59 PM
I won't go into lots of details, but I bought some show clothes at different times without thinking about a "cohesive look", and I ended up with a shirt and brown helmet that I love and go well together, but the shirt just doesn't go with my show coat. I always said, "well this is the outfit for when coats are waived." :lol:

Well, decided that i really wanted a show coat for the shirt so that I had two complete outfits to wear, and found a great one. Problem is that with the coat, shirt, & brown helmet, it looks down right AWFUL with the green TS. puke.

But at my local tack shop they showed me a pair of TS in what they said was a new color called "toast". It looked stunning, and I bet would look even better with brown boots. It really isn't tan, so I'd ask around and see what you find.

I would have bought a pair except I was 12 weeks pregnant and um, my regluar size was a bit snug...I couldn't really wear them now, and what if don't "return" to my origional size? It would be a shame to pay all that and not even wear them!:eek:

Tuesday's Child
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:39 PM
Spinoff question (sorry to hijack your thread, I just didn't want to start another one about coat colours!): what colour breeches would your wear with a grey jacket? I have a light tan pair, and the puke ones, but neither look quite right with my jacket, which is a medium grey Grand Prix. Can you wear grey breeches with a grey jacket, or is that overkill? Are grey breeches even "allowed" in the hunter ring?