PDA

View Full Version : Ice Boots

Jumper6252
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:49 PM
I need to get a pair of ice boots, which ones do you find work the best?

10000 Bits
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:24 AM
I have a pair of Reitsport boots and Bonner Wraps. The Reitsport boots are not very flexible and you can't target a specific area in these boots. The Bonner wraps are great. You get them wet and stick them in the freezer for a few minutes and they remain flexible and cold. You can put them in a cooler with ice water at a show.

As a temporary solution I have also used a standard gel ice pack and a Heidi boot. It works really well and I owned everything so it was cheap.

aahunterjumper
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:53 PM
I haven't used the Reitsports or the Bonner wraps, so can't directly compare. But, I love my Ice Horse boots. The ice packs are basically snow, so they mold to fit the leg and really get the area cold. The boots fit well, so you can put them on and put your horse on crossties or back in a stall with hay. I've used the ice packs on me for my various horse-related bumps and strains and find them to be better than other ice packs.

tarheelmd07
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
It all depends on what part of the leg you want to ice...

I have some ice horse velcro-on boots and they're ok...but I prefer the Jack's ice boots that buckle around the pastern and come up to the knee (and then you just fill them with ice).

Or...if you have a very patient horse...you could always go the knee-tub route :D

My horses all need to be iced on a fairly routine basis after competitions...and we usually put the fronts in a knee tub and use the Jack's boots behind.

justblu
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:04 PM
I really like the Pro-Choice 9 pocket ice boots. They work with less ice than the Jacks' boots or a tub, and can be moved from front to back with less wasted ice. They also seem to be the best for horses that don't tolerate standing in ice as they are flexible and the horse can walk around a bit.

doublesstable
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:06 PM
I "LOVE" my Ice Horse boots.

I have them for the tendons and hocks. Excellent product!!! The cold inserts are great. I even use them for myself. They are gel filled so you can have some xtras in the frezer and use them on the next horse. I always use them after jumping.

http://www.icehorse.net/