PDA

View Full Version : Budgeting for HITS

case solved
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm going to HITS for a few days in February to groom for my trainer and maybe put in a few exercise rides. I've been to Ocala several times but never for HITS and am not sure how much I should be saving. I have transportation and hotel covered- just wondering about food and extras. Anyone know about what you spent per day? I'm definitely going the low end route, being a poor college kid and all :sadsmile:

Lucassb
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:29 PM
It's been a number of years since I went to Ocala but as I recall, there are grocery stores not too far away so you can easily stock up on sandwich stuff, fruit and snacks - pack a little cooler each day and you will be all set for the most part. The area has a lot of chain restaurants as well as a couple of "nicer" places to offer if you re so inclined.

I certainly hope the trainer you are working for is covering your hotel etc and will pay you a per diem.

jmvwiv
Jan. 9, 2010, 04:36 PM
I've gone for the last 5 years or so and always stock up at Target or Walmart for little snack type stuff, bottled water, juice, etc.... There is also a Publix about 15 min down the road. They have a good sandwich and you can get. If you stay away from the food consession on the grounds you'll be fine. The food is good but expensive.

case solved
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks! The trainer is covering the hotel but no per diem. It's more of an experience trip for me because I've never groomed at that level and I'm going to get a couple of pro lessons while I'm there. I think it's more than worth it but I will definitely have to stock up at the grocery store and stay away from the product vendors!!:lol:

Lucassb
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks! The trainer is covering the hotel but no per diem. It's more of an experience trip for me because I've never groomed at that level and I'm going to get a couple of pro lessons while I'm there. I think it's more than worth it but I will definitely have to stock up at the grocery store and stay away from the product vendors!!:lol:

Wow, that is a pretty good deal for your trainer!

Obviously it is a good learning experience for you, too, but grooming is hard work and show days are long. Ocala is just a normal horseshow, by the way, so don't worry too much about not having experience "at that level."

meupatdoes
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:16 AM
I certainly hope the trainer you are working for is covering your hotel etc and will pay you a per diem.

If somebody in the OP's position wanted to preserve their amateur status, they would not be able to accept the per diem (GR1306 1 (c) ). They would ALSO not be able to accept the reimbursed hotel room (GR1306 2 (c)), unless the activity was an internship they were getting college credit for (GR1306 2 (f)).

Amateurs have to be really careful and do a lot of stuff for free, but the experience is often worth it.

Liverpools
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:42 AM
If somebody in the OP's position wanted to preserve their amateur status, they would not be able to accept the per diem (GR1306 1 (c) ). They would ALSO not be able to accept the reimbursed hotel room (GR1306 2 (c)), unless the activity was an internship they were getting college credit for (GR1306 2 (f)).

Amateurs have to be really careful and do a lot of stuff for free, but the experience is often worth it.

Actually, being employed as a groom does not violate the amateur rule UNLESS said amateur also rides/trains horses that someone is paying the professional for.

GR1306c:

Accepts remuneration for employment in other capacity (e.g., secretary, bookkeeper, veterinarian, groom, farrier) and gives instruction, rides, drives, shows, trains or schools horses, other than horses actually owned or leased by him/her, when his/her employer or a member of the family of said employer or a corporation which a member of his/her family controls, owns, boards or trains said horses.

meupatdoes
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:48 AM
Actually, being employed as a groom does not violate the amateur rule UNLESS said amateur also rides/trains horses that someone is paying the professional for.

GR1306c:

Accepts remuneration for employment in other capacity (e.g., secretary, bookkeeper, veterinarian, groom, farrier) and gives instruction, rides, drives, shows, trains or schools horses, other than horses actually owned or leased by him/her, when his/her employer or a member of the family of said employer or a corporation which a member of his/her family controls, owns, boards or trains said horses.

And the OP stated she would be getting pro lessons and "maybe put in a few exercise rides" (I assume on a horse).

ExJumper
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
I would also worry about ammy status in this specific case.

mscris
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:36 PM
bring winter clothes and rain gear! 41* was the high today. bring a small cooler or backpack to bring your lunch/snacks to the grounds.
the price for food is the same as anywhere else. I would also bring a small foreman grill. you can cook chicken, steak, grill cheese, toast and make hot sandwiches on it. and maybe borrow a crockpot - always a lifesaver. We always throw a jar of pasta sauce and pasta on low all day and come home to a hot meal. maybe if you know some people on from a forum, they might invite you to some hometown hospitality.

case solved
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:44 PM
I don't think I'll be violating ammy status rules in this situation but thanks for bringing it up. The trainer I am grooming for is showing a horse owned by her and she is not getting paid by sponsors for this particular horse. I will not be reimbursed for the hotel- staying with a friend at their place in ocala. Also the pro lessons are not from said trainer, but from a close friend of the trainer. Does all of that sound ok?

heartinrye
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:47 PM
Who would you be doing the 'exercise' rides for? If its the same trainer that you are grooming for then that will be in violation. Sorry. It's sucks being a college-poor ammy (right there with ya!).