PDA

View Full Version : saddle help [?]

electric stride
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:15 PM
I am looking to buy my first saddle. Before I have just been riding in whatever fits the particular horse I am riding, but I am looking to buy a horse and have no idea really how to approach the subject.

I am most likely looking for a used close contact. Something comfy is a must, jumping, flat work.... What are some good brands? How much to they run? [approximately obviously] I will be doing Hunters which I really haven't gotten into before. What are the regulations for the Hunter world for saddles? i.e color, ect. I won't be doing any huge rated shows. Mostly locals and schooling shows.

How do I go about fitting myself saddle wise? What are the specific ways/places you are supposed to measure for an accurate fit? Basically just anything about saddles that is helpful will be greatly appreciated. :sadsmile: I am definately a novice when it comes to this stuff. I am just trying to get an idea. Obviously I will try out the saddle before purchase and everything. If there is any other information that you need that I forgot to mention, which I am sure there is, please let me know. :)

SquishTheBunny
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
Buy a horse first - then look for a saddle. Not all horses are hard to fit, but as the rule goes, if you have a saddle you like, you'll find a horse that it wont fit!!

If you are dead set on getting a saddle first, I would look for a brand with a good name mid-range saddle like a Collegiate. If you get a good brand name used, you may be able to sell it for what you bought it for if it doesnt fit the horse...but its always a gamble.

Colour - cant go wrong with a shade of brown, light, dark etc. really doesnt matter. Fit is more important than fashion. Take a few used saddles on trial to see what fit you best.

electric stride
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks. :)
I already have the horse, I mean measurement wise. I have all that information. We are picking him up in about a month. I thought it would be good to have a saddle already instead of starting to look in a month when I have a horse already? Then I have a horse and no saddle! haha. Although do correct me if that isn't the way it should be done. So that is not the issue really. I don't know what to look for in terms of fitting me. How do I find the right size for myself and the horse?

headsupheelsdown
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:09 PM
As far as saddle fit for you goes... you probably need someone to view from the side... things to look for:

When your leg is in the stirrup position that you like/normally ride in, your knee should fall properly... not overhang the flap and not too much of the flap in front of your knee. Also, the bend in your knee should correspond to the most-forward part of the flap. Wear your tall boots when looking to make sure they don't interfere with the bottom edge of the flap (this is really annoying). As far as the seat size goes, you should be able to put two fingers on the seat between your butt and the back edge of the seat.

HunterJumperLuv
Jan. 9, 2010, 07:19 PM
Not quite sure if I understand, but unless you can puy saddle a and saddle b on said horse, you wont know if its fits. You might have a good guess as to whether or not you need say a medium tree verses a wide tree verses a narrow tree, but you really need to try the saddle on the horse in order to know if it fits.