PDA

View Full Version : Best correction pad?

10000 Bits
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have to get a correction pad and am looking for some input on which brand I should get, Fleeceworks, Mattes or Thinline.

Fleeceworks has foam inserts but is quite a bit less than the Mattes pad with wool inserts. And then there is the thinline pad...

Does anyone have any experiences or preferences?

horsepoor
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
The only one that I have used is the Mattes correction pad. I have found it useful for fitting a saddle to different horses, like my young horse that was a bit narrow and downhill for my saddle - we'd use the front shims to make the saddle fit him better but weren't locked in (such as if I bought him a custom saddle) so as he changes shape, we can make easy modifications. I purchased mine from the County saddle rep and it was really inexpensive compared to buying elsewhere -- but I think the last I checked, her prices had gone up. But I do see them on ebay and such for good prices at times.

FineAlready
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:10 PM
Love my Mattes. The felt/wool shims allow for a wide range of adjustments and fine tuning. Haven't used fleeceworks. Not a huge fan of Thinline - I find them a bit rigid and cumbersome. I have the Mattes correction half pad w/ sheepskin and I think the sheepskin itself improves fit dramatically.

SarahandSam
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have the Mattes with sheepskin corrective half pad and really like it. I like how thin the shims are so that you can make smaller adjustments. My horse just needed the tiniest bit in the front and only a little more in the back according to the saddle fitter, and it looked like the Fleeceworks foam shims would have been too much. I did like the fleece itself on the Fleeceworks--I pet it every time I go to the tack shop. (:

mypaintwattie
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:45 AM
I have the fleeceworks perfect balance pad and really like it. It has held up well to two years of use and abuse, and still looks nice enough in the show ring. When I got it I splurged and bought all of the foam pads- the front ones, back risers, and the full memory foam ones. It was a big help to have the different assortment of pads to use when I was saddle hunting for my hard to fit horse, and now that we have a saddle that fits well I just use the pad without any of the foam pads, but I like having the option of using them if I need to or if I ride another horse.

teddygirl
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:08 AM
I think it depends on what you need. I have all those pads. The Mattes can do a very precise correction and fills in space on a saddle that's too wide. The Fleeceworks won't change the fit of the saddle, and they have a really nice show pad that you can do corrections with, and the fleece is sooo soft! The thinline material is a good shock absorber but I like the other sheepskin better

GirlGeek
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:25 AM
Something else to be aware of that may give you a "hybrid" solution - it's possible to get Thinline shims that fit into the pockets of the Mattes correction pads.

http://www.thinlineinc.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=33

TrakeGirl
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:36 AM
I have the Thinline saddle fitter pad. My saddle fitter did not recommend the Mattes shims because they compress. I have a ton of other Thinline products and love them so the choice was easy for me.

I do like the pad a lot - I think the sheepskin (from Engel) is really nice. I have mine in black to help hide dirt. :)

If I had to do it again - however - I would buy the Sheepskin Comfort Half Pad instead of the Saddle Fitter pad.

The Sheepskin Comfort pad already has the Ultra Thinline built into it and then it has pockets underneath for you to add shims in either the front or the back. So a continuous layer of Thinline along the whole length of the back. With the Saddle Fitter, you just add shims where your need it and there is a "break" between the front and back pockets. So even if you put shims all around (and say the thicker ones up front to help with a wide saddle), there is still a break under the twist of the saddle between the front and back pocket. I always wonder the effect of that on weight distribution/pressure points, etc. I prefer the continuous layer if that makes any sense.

Also - the Sheepskin Comfort pad has that back fleece roll to help the half pad not shift around. This was an issue for me when trying to make a wide tree saddle work on my horse - the back of the pad totally slipped to the left every single ride. Really annoying. Now that I'm in a medium tree saddle (which is still a bit too wide so I still use the saddle fitter pad, but obviously it is not nearly as bad as the wide tree saddle) - I don't have the slipping issue. So YMWV but I still wish I had that back fleece roll to really make it secure.

Blackberry Farm
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
Mattes or ECP ;) I have one of each and like them a lot. The memory foam is so nice that I bought a pillow for myself. I'd used a Beval theraputic half pad happily for years. Then, one day, I discovered sheepskin! ;) Love it!

Eq4Me
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:56 PM
I had a fleeceworks half pad and didn't find it worked nearly as good as my Mattes half pad. The wool on the Mattes pads seem to be denser and doesn't squish down to almost nothing, like the Fleeceworks pad did.

For showing, I also bought Mattes' new correction "Hunter" show pad. It was pricey, but I LOVE it!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
I have the Fleeceworks correction pad and even though I don't need the shims for my current horse, I still use the pad every ride in the jumping saddle. When I did use the shims it was as a rear riser pad (bit of a sway-back on the horse). I've had this pad since 2005ish and I've used it a lot. I've washed it probably 5-6 times in the (traditional) washing machine with Melp only on delicate cycle and then I dry it 1/3 way in the dryer on high before going to cold air/tumble only.

I have no compression issues (haven't washed it much for the yrs it's been in use) and have nothing but good things to say about the product. I would buy it again.

My friend has a different pad (I think it is Fleece works) and it is NOT the correction pad (no rolled edge in the rear) and the sheepskin throughout is definitely not as thick.

xitmom
Jan. 11, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have a Mattes correction fleece half pad and it works really well. My only beef with it is that it hangs out in the back... my saddle's a 16.5" and the Mattes pad is a Medium (the smallest they make, I think) and it sticks out a good 3 to 4 inches past the cantle.

SarahandSam
Jan. 12, 2010, 06:40 AM
I have a Mattes correction fleece half pad and it works really well. My only beef with it is that it hangs out in the back... my saddle's a 16.5" and the Mattes pad is a Medium (the smallest they make, I think) and it sticks out a good 3 to 4 inches past the cantle.

They do make a small, which I got for my 15.5 saddle, but that's a little small for mine! Sigh.