PDA

View Full Version : USEF and HSUS working together at Youth Equestrian Event

moserorr
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:44 AM
The Humane Society of the US will be co-sponsoring the Youth Equestrian Event in Louisville KY on January 16. The HSUS is NOT a friend to the equine world, and anyone who wants to be alble to keep ridng their horse should contact the USEF to protest this alliance. I would striongly enocurage people to boycott the event. Contact Jennifer Mellencamp at the USEF by email at jmellenkamp@usef.org or call the USEF to lodge your displeasure.

Darden
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:05 AM
Can you provide some examples of how the HSUS has acted that would support your claim? This is the first I've heard of this. ..must be late to the party.

Ray
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:42 PM
HSUS is a radical animal rights organization. PLEASE boycott the event and contact USEF.

the primary activity of HSUS is to raise $ for lobbying for anti-dog breeding legislation.

from www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm/a/184-7-things-you-didnt-know-about-hsus:
[HSUS] doesn’t operate a single pet shelter or pet adoption facility anywhere in the United States. During 2007, HSUS contributed only 3.64 percent of its budget to organizations that operate hands-on dog and cat shelters. In reality, HSUS is a wealthy animal-rights lobbying organization (the largest and richest on earth) that agitates for the same goals as PETA and other radical groups.

cssutton
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:47 PM
Can you provide some examples of how the HSUS has acted that would support your claim? This is the first I've heard of this. ..must be late to the party.

Here is a start.

Much of HSUS past statements have been scrubbed from the internet so it is necessary to find other sites that still have their comments in the archives and this is one.

http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/anti_hunter_quotes.shtml

http://consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm/a/184-7-things-you-didnt-know-about-hsus

http://www.theolympian.com/outdoors/v-print/story/778930.html

And then there is this:

HSUS’s current goals have little to do with animal shelters. The group has taken aim at the traditional morning meal of bacon and eggs with a tasteless “Breakfast of Cruelty” campaign. Its newspaper op-eds demand that consumers “help make this a more humane world [by] reducing our consumption of meat and egg products.” Since its inception, HSUS has tried to limit the choices of American consumers, opposing dog breeding, conventional livestock and poultry farming, rodeos, circuses, horse racing, marine aquariums, and fur trapping.

Taken from this link, which is long but an informative compilation of many articles.

http://www.v-abs.com/HSUS.htm

CSSJR

Darden
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:29 PM
Thank you.

arnika
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:11 AM
Wasn't it the HSUS employees that were caught killing dogs in their van after they had "rescued" them and they were dumping the carcasses in dumpsters?

lauriep
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
I sent a protest email to David O'Connor, John Long and the girl who issued the press release. Sent over a week ago. Not a word of acknowledgement. Will resend when I get home.
we had a fabulous 2 hour session with the ASPCA at the GHM clinic in FL, got a couple of horses adopted, and some dogs, too. They are very supportive of what we do and want very much to work with the h/j world.

klmck63
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:24 PM
Wasn't it the HSUS employees that were caught killing dogs in their van after they had "rescued" them and they were dumping the carcasses in dumpsters?

I'm pretty sure that was PETA, but I could be wrong.

Horseymama
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
I don't know anything about HSUS, but if they are so radical, why would they be sponsoring a USEF event? Are you thinking they are sponsoring it so they can then show up with picket signs or something and protest? Hopefully that doesn't happen.

EventFan
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:11 PM
IMHO they are doing it because the are looking for publicity and new supporters. They will present "evidence" of rescue operations with no mention of how they took the credit for the operation and "allowed" the local rescue to do all the work and pay for it. I have do not care for their practices at all.

Ellie K
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:59 PM
O'Connor and Co. also invited HSUS to the eventing safety summit in 2008.:rolleyes: DOC obviously subscribes to the "keep 'em close" approach...

superpony123
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that was PETA, but I could be wrong.

it was PETA, i remember that