PDA

View Full Version : Halters: Quillin vs Walsh vs Albright's vs Tack Shack of Ocala vs Horse Cents

pattnic
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:03 AM
I've decided that the ponies need new everyday halters and I would like to make the move away from nylon. (They already have show halters). I know that COTH loves Quillin, but I've read on here good things about Albright's and Tack Shack of Ocala and Horse Cents, too, and my own personal favorite has always been Walsh.

So how do these all compare to each other? This would be a halter used nearly every day, probably left out in the open to get dusty, and likely exposed to water in the summer (bath time). They would not be used for turnout.

The styling I want would be available from all the companies, and pricing is close enough that it will not be a deciding factor. Walsh is the only brand with which I have personal experience, so I really need some help here.

One thing I do NOT like is the greasy/oily feel of heavily oiled tack, and I know that most of these halters have been oiled. Except for Walsh, do they have the "well-oiled" feel?

Thanks so much!

Go Fish
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:12 AM
I stick with Walsh because of their durability. I've got several that are probably 20 years old and still going strong. And, they haven't been treated well at all, I'll tell you. It doesn't hurt that they are show quality, on top of their durability.

Sure, you pay a bit more. But they outlast all the other halters, in my opinion, so well worth it.

YankeeLawyer
Jan. 9, 2010, 05:01 AM
I use Quillins for all my horses (and as I breed, we go through many, in different sizes , for each one). The Quillins halters are very beautiful and I like that you can completely customize them (eg with or without snap at throatlatch, with or without adjustable noseband, with 1 or 2 buckles at the crown, etc), and for the weanlings I like the ones with the rolled nosebands.

Generally, I think they last 2 to 3 years with heavy use - baths, etc - and no special care. I am sure if I babied them a bit more they would last much longer.

They do have a bit of an oily feel when you first get them, but saddle soap removes the excess and in any event that feel fades within a few days anyway. The oil preserves the leather and prevents cracking and breakage so it is necessary, I think.

Rubs Not Pats
Jan. 9, 2010, 05:30 AM
I love Quillins and 100% agree with YankeeLawyer for all the points listed.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:43 AM
I stick with Walsh because of their durability. I've got several that are probably 20 years old and still going strong. And, they haven't been treated well at all, I'll tell you. It doesn't hurt that they are show quality, on top of their durability.

Sure, you pay a bit more. But they outlast all the other halters, in my opinion, so well worth it.

Me too.

sweetpea
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:19 AM
I have personally talked with them , cause I remember when they were a smaller place , but they now make Walsh Halters. I have Tack SHack Halters before I knew they did Walsh---- YOU cannot go wrong witht them. They are a great shop. One time someone shipped me a pair of boots and I thought wo hoo
my Momn got me a gift, they were the right size and for winter!!

Turns out Tack Shack has another me somewhere in cold country too!
So I said give me the correct address and I will ship it to them , since sending the boots back to FL when they were supposed to be in PA instead would have to the expecting owner so much longer. Tack Shack apopreciated it so much they made a halter with my fam Name plate and all!

DMK
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:41 AM
toss my vote for tack shack, KY halter, Ocala prices. ;)

Lucassb
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:08 AM
I always had Walsh halters and think they are beautiful, but was turned on to Quillin a number of years ago and made the switch!

My horse has a six year old Quillin halter for everyday and that includes turnout (he's a rolling enthusiast so it takes some abuse, lol.)

A little glycerin soap on a damp sponge and it still cleans up and looks great. No cracking around the hardware, and the the leather is still nice and supple.

I think they are a great bargain as they are considerably less expensive than the Walsh halters, at least around here. But you couldn't go wrong with either one.

spaceagevalkyrie
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:48 AM
I became a quillins fan when my rescue gelding came with an absolutely *disgusting* halter. I nearly threw it out, but for some reason decided to spend an hour scrubbing the crap out of it. It cleaned up to the point of looking new, and when I could read the writing stamped on it, I ordered one for my other horse :lol:

WorthTheWait95
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:54 AM
The track halter from Tack Shack is an awesome deal. If the quality is as nice as the Walsh halters I might buy a few especially since it comes with the engraved plate included in the price! Looks like it will be about $60 as opposed to $75-100 for the Quillin/Walsh. I need some nice looking halters they can go out and play with and I really hate nylon.

Anyone know how the sizing runs? Is the Mare/Full option pretty standard for most horses?

Pony Soprano
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:57 AM
Interesting....I was going to say that the Tack Shack halters look exactly like the Walsh halters :cool:

pattnic
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have personally talked with them , cause I remember when they were a smaller place , but they now make Walsh Halters. I have Tack SHack Halters before I knew they did Walsh---- YOU cannot go wrong witht them. They are a great shop.

Wait, really? Walsh has their halters made by Tack Shack?

Anne
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:45 AM
The track halter from Tack Shack is an awesome deal. Looks like it will be about $60 as opposed to $75-100 for the Quillin/Walsh. ?

A Quillin warmblood sized sale halter, with a throat snap and a plate, is $57.40.

forestergirl99
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have personally talked with them , cause I remember when they were a smaller place , but they now make Walsh Halters. I have Tack SHack Halters before I knew they did Walsh---- YOU cannot go wrong witht them.

I wish I'd known that before i bought a Quillins. =P Could have saved like $20. Oh well.

Invite
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:25 PM
I have both Quillin and Tack Shack. I prefer the Tack Shack Halters. The customer service is fantastic and the halter quality is superb. My Tack Shack halters handle abuse and still look great. In all honesty, see which place is cheaper for what you want and you will get a great halter from either TS or Q.

***Side note...shipping can add up really fast, but TS of Ocala gives you free shipping on any internet order of $50 or more****

Bent Hickory
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:47 PM
Generally, I think they last 2 to 3 years with heavy use - baths, etc - and no special care. I am sure if I babied them a bit more they would last much longer.

Ditto on Quillins. The oldest of mine are eleven years old. Never been babied. Once a year they get scrubbed with dish soap and water. They're used for turn-out, bathing, everything. These ones are obviously not show halters anymore (I keep a couple halters for that purpose - Quillins of course) but still look better than any other leather halter I've had for more than a year and much better than any nylon halter I've had for more than a couple months.

WorthTheWait95
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:04 PM
A Quillin warmblood sized sale halter, with a throat snap and a plate, is $57.40.

That's great but I want a track halter, not a sale halter.

The track halter and all the 'extras' such as a snap throat, triple stitch, etc that I want from Quillin's is $80. The one from the tack shack looks to be identical with a few nice extras like the fancy stitch pattern on the crown and is cheaper.

It's this one. The base price is fine (although still $10 more expensive) but I need to add every 'extra' they offer:
http://quillin.com/jshop/product.php?xProd=1024&xSec=28

As opposed to the tack shack at $57.85 after adding the one line plate and throat snap:
http://www.tackshackocala.com/3042.html

hunteryperson
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have both Quillin's and Walsh. I like them both, sometimes the Quillins are that oily feel that I don't like. It seems to depend on which halter you use of theirs. I like the look of the Walsh a little better.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 9, 2010, 05:10 PM
I've never had a Walsh, but my Albright's halter kicks ass on my Quillin halters. My show halter is a Quillin (purchased before I discovered Albright) but the two daily-use halters (one Quillin, one Albright) are still in the Celebrity Halter Fight Club, and the Albright inches further ahead every single day.

DMK
Jan. 9, 2010, 05:48 PM
The track halter from Tack Shack is an awesome deal. If the quality is as nice as the Walsh halters I might buy a few especially since it comes with the engraved plate included in the price! Looks like it will be about $60 as opposed to $75-100 for the Quillin/Walsh. I need some nice looking halters they can go out and play with and I really hate nylon.

Anyone know how the sizing runs? Is the Mare/Full option pretty standard for most horses?

My hunter wears the mare size and I picked up a shorter crown piece to make it fit optimally, BUT I'm frickin' anal about not having the crown piece leather overlap that brass circle below the buckle (some of us pick strange things to be OCD about) and this horse usually needs cob cheekpieces for a horse bridle to fir perfectly. Truthfully the regular crown would have worked fine if his OCD owner could stand a halter on the 3rd hole, both sides.

Also a little hint - their default is (IIRC) to put snap side down which is my preference. If you like it snap side up, let them know. Last but not least, the sale halter, unlike some, does come with a triple stitched noseband. I *think* the only difference between sale and track is the fancy stitched crown (and of course the stallion cheek option)...

mvp
Jan. 9, 2010, 07:46 PM
DMK, I love your anality. Truly.

pattnic
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:32 PM
DMK, I love your anality. Truly.

Ditto this. DMK, are you also really particular about how bridles fit (buckles aligned, etc)? I am.

DMK
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:47 PM
Ditto this. DMK, are you also really particular about how bridles fit (buckles aligned, etc)? I am.

*Snort* what do you think? :D

and we won't even get into how much I hate a girth snugged up higher than the 3rd hole where my precious wittle princess and the pea leg can feel it...

mvp
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:54 PM
So what do you do about 3 billet straps and two girth buckles. Does it bug you to see the first and third thrashed while the middle one is virginal?

I find a horse/reason to use the middle billet strap sometimes.

Then I feel better.

Oh, and back to the topic at hand, halters:

There will be no severe shorter/longer miss-matches on the buckle hole in a two-buckled crown. So use, say, 4 and 3, left and right if you must, but switch those out when you clean the halter, eh?

Beat that!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:24 PM
I don't like the Walsh - too heavy for my refined TB's head. But the Quillin's - really - two years old, hangs in the barn (and it's an open barn) and he's been out grazing in it in snow and sleet and rain and baking sun - very soft, very durable. I keep thinking of getting a 2nd every time they have a shipping sale but this one is doing fabulously!

Good fit, too. Great customer service.

superpony123
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:27 PM
i really like walsh halters. they last forever, and that's important. they clean up nice, too. though i suppose it doesnt matter as much because you already have show halters. regardless, i think they are well worth their money.

WorthTheWait95
Feb. 7, 2010, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to bump this up because I ended up ordering a Tack Shack Track Halter and now that I've had it for a few weeks and it's still beautiful I can gush a little ;). The quality is wonderful. I cannot tell the difference between it and my Walsh halters so I'm extremely happy. It came to $58 dollars, qualified for free shipping and since I'm a 'fan' on facebook I also got an additional $15 off. They tossed in a free ball cap since it was a web order as well.

All said and done I got a gorgeous halter, brass nameplate and ball cap for $43.00. Can't beat that!!!

NZEVNTR
Feb. 7, 2010, 10:38 PM
Quillins:D

tidy rabbit
Feb. 7, 2010, 10:44 PM

Ya, I thought 75-100 was really high. All mine including shipping have been around 55/60 dollars.

Pony Soprano
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:07 AM
WorthTheWait95 - All said and done I got a gorgeous halter, brass nameplate and ball cap for $43.00. Can't beat that!!!

Wow! At that rate I think my nylon halters are more expensive than that. Hmmm my school horses might be looking a little more fancy :D

BeastieSlave
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:14 AM
My boy's birthday is next month (3!). I think it's time he got a big-boy Quillin halter (his baby halters were Quillin's). I do believe one of those WB-sized sales halters with throat snap and plate will be on its way to my house soon! :D

Gry2Yng
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:30 AM
Just wanted to bump this up because I ended up ordering a Tack Shack Track Halter and now that I've had it for a few weeks and it's still beautiful I can gush a little ;). The quality is wonderful. I cannot tell the difference between it and my Walsh halters so I'm extremely happy. It came to $58 dollars, qualified for free shipping and since I'm a 'fan' on facebook I also got an additional $15 off. They tossed in a free ball cap since it was a web order as well.

All said and done I got a gorgeous halter, brass nameplate and ball cap for $43.00. Can't beat that!!!

I have always preferred the Quillan over Walsh, but the baby needs a bigger show halter. This is a great deal. My show halters are Walsh cause that is what the barn prefers. My every days are Quillan cause that is what I prefer.

SquirrellyBred
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:59 AM
I've had great luck with Walsh halters, they seem to last forever. They do come oiled, but don't feel "oily" to me, just soft from the get-go.

Another option to check is SmartPak. Their double and triple stitched "SmartPak" halters are actually Walsh and a pretty good deal - comparable to what you listed from Tack Shack.

woops
Feb. 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
I am not sure if you know it but tack shack is the private maker of walsh halters.

DMK
Feb. 8, 2010, 12:28 PM
also, smartpak halters have those godawful loose chin rings. They look similar to Perri's halters (also made by the amish IIRC) and the price doesn't include the halter plate so I don't think they are less expensive, apples to apples than tack shack.

pattnic
Feb. 8, 2010, 01:29 PM
I am not sure if you know it but tack shack is the private maker of walsh halters.

Tack Shack does not make the Walsh halters, nor have they ever (I asked them).

Another option to check is SmartPak. Their double and triple stitched "SmartPak" halters are actually Walsh and a pretty good deal - comparable to what you listed from Tack Shack.

also, smartpak halters have those godawful loose chin rings. They look similar to Perri's halters (also made by the amish IIRC) and the price doesn't include the halter plate so I don't think they are less expensive, apples to apples than tack shack.

I'm pretty sure the SP halters are Perri's... and as DMK points out, they have the loose chin ring (which is something I can't stand).

I'm planning on getting a couple halters from a couple places - I've got two horses, and it sounds like I really can't go wrong, so why not?

Riley0522
Feb. 8, 2010, 04:04 PM
I got my Quillin halter a couple of weeks ago and I LOOOOVE it! It came out of the box perfectly oiled, soft and buttery. The name plate is beautiful, and it actually FITS my TB's head. I ordered a regular mare size and was dreading it being huge like every other horse size halter I've bought him, but it fits beautifully!

Throat snap, name plate and English chin, $54 with shipping...you just can't beat it!

fordtraktor
Feb. 8, 2010, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to add for you folks that don't like to spend more than $50 for a halter -- I strongly prefer my Weaver track halters, and they are $40. They last forever and look darn good. My current one is upwards of 10 years old and still looks fantastic. I use it for everyday and shows (though I don't turn out in halters, so the wear is around the barn wear).

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87bf4a-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

Just tossing out another, cheaper option!

woops
Feb. 8, 2010, 04:44 PM
I was told this by someone reputable there , oh about 6 months ago.

DMK
Feb. 8, 2010, 09:48 PM
qualified for free shipping and since I'm a 'fan' on facebook I also got an additional $15 off. They tossed in a free ball cap since it was a web order as well.

hot damn, that was the excuse I needed to order a new grooming halter with a nameplate (and some other stuff)!

ETA - their halters don't look like walsh halters (for me that is not a bad thing, I don't like the finish or width on walsh), but I suppose they could make them to walsh specs and not "advertise" it for obvious reasons... or not)

WorthTheWait95
Feb. 9, 2010, 06:57 AM
hot damn, that was the excuse I needed to order a new grooming halter with a nameplate (and some other stuff)!

ETA - their halters don't look like walsh halters (for me that is not a bad thing, I don't like the finish or width on walsh), but I suppose they could make them to walsh specs and not "advertise" it for obvious reasons... or not)

There are some differences b/t mine and the Walsh's like the permanent chin ring (my Walsh's are loose and I also hate that) and the fancy stitching along the crown but the quality is identical. Mine is the same width in terms of cheek peices, etc but many of my Walsh halters are going on a decade old so not sure if they're still making them to the same specs. If I didn't pay for it myself I would never guess it wasn't a $100+ halter though.

ponymom64
Feb. 9, 2010, 08:51 AM
Walsh makes a 3/4" halter if anyone needs to know that. Equus Now (my new favorite tack store) carries it. I ordered the cob size for my DD's little horse and it looked quite smart on him when we tried it on. I like the thinner width for his little head and it came standard with the two buckle crownpiece and snap cheekpiece. He hasn't actually *worn* it yet as I took it to a local tack shop to have the nameplate installed and they left one of the nails with a jagged edge on the skin side, so not happy about that :(

DMK
Feb. 9, 2010, 09:33 AM
yeah, but TS halters don't start with the kind of slick O-ranj finish (which does oil out, and eventually they look the same, but hanging up in a store it's easy to tell them apart)

Jumpers4life
Feb. 9, 2010, 10:57 PM
Personally, I love Tory halters. I like padded halters better, they just look better to me IMO. They don't need any oiling or anything, the leather's nice and soft. :)

http://www.horseandsport.com/ToryHalter196.htm

My horse is bay, his new show halter is the color on top and he looks amazing in it! They are a little more expensive then the others, but they're a lot cheaper then all the comparable ones I've seen at the local tack shop. I've used them as show halters and everyday halters for all of my horses, and never had one break (we used to get them as year-end awards).

If at all possible I'll buy a Tory halter. I guess I'm a bit of a halter snob! :lol:

And what is so bad about the loose chin rings? I actually prefer them... :confused:

DMK
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
And what is so bad about the loose chin rings? I actually prefer them... :confused:

When I tug on a lead rope, if I wanted 4 more inches of play, I'd have given it myself. When I want to run that shank down to or through the bottom ring, I'd like that bottom ring to stay put, I'd like to never see spare leather straps hanging off keepers to get a nose band close fitting enough to be a properly fitting halter (it's extra delightful when it starts to curl back) and I like the cleaner look of an english chin. But it's not yet an absolutist monarchy run by DMK so YMMV.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:23 AM
Personally, I love Tory halters. I like padded halters better, they just look better to me IMO. They don't need any oiling or anything, the leather's nice and soft. :)

http://www.horseandsport.com/ToryHalter196.htm

I have 2 of these and I'll never buy them again. They were fairly expensive and they haven't held up well at all. But they were pretty when I bought them.

DMK
Feb. 10, 2010, 11:04 AM
yeah, if it was the Tory I remember, it's long on price and not durability, but I wasn't sure it was the same Tory. Give me a halter made by people who make sales/track halters any day of the week.

Jumpers4life
Feb. 10, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hmm, that's interesting... There must a lot of different variables for how well halters hold up, because mine have held up great, and I've been using them for about 5 years. And the price wasn't really an issue because I got them as year end awards.:)

What you said about the loose chin rings makes sense. Since I hardly ever use a chain I guess I hadn't thought about that. It doesn't bother me too much. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. *shrugs*

DMK
Feb. 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. *shrugs*

We're still allowed to do that. :lol:

(except for when I pony my youngster, I never use a chain either, but old habits and traditions die hard in the TB bidness ;) )

lauriep
Feb. 10, 2010, 07:32 PM
My hunter wears the mare size and I picked up a shorter crown piece to make it fit optimally, BUT I'm frickin' anal about not having the crown piece leather overlap that brass circle below the buckle (some of us pick strange things to be OCD about) and this horse usually needs cob cheekpieces for a horse bridle to fir perfectly. Truthfully the regular crown would have worked fine if his OCD owner could stand a halter on the 3rd hole, both sides.

Also a little hint - their default is (IIRC) to put snap side down which is my preference. If you like it snap side up, let them know. Last but not least, the sale halter, unlike some, does come with a triple stitched noseband. I *think* the only difference between sale and track is the fancy stitched crown (and of course the stallion cheek option)...

I have to say, you now own the OCD tack fitting obsession. I bow to you, your royal highness!

lauriep
Feb. 10, 2010, 07:39 PM
When I tug on a lead rope, if I wanted 4 more inches of play, I'd have given it myself. When I want to run that shank down to or through the bottom ring, I'd like that bottom ring to stay put, I'd like to never see spare leather straps hanging off keepers to get a nose band close fitting enough to be a properly fitting halter (it's extra delightful when it starts to curl back) and I like the cleaner look of an english chin. But it's not yet an absolutist monarchy run by DMK so YMMV.

Hate the adjustable chins too. I have some that have come with horses, bt anything I order does not have them. I order snap at throat on show halters because it is easier to manage on/off with babies at shows. But triple stitched, english chin and usually Walsh/Dover (easy for clients to find/order) but now I'll have to try the Tack Shack halters! GREAT price!

kgro632
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:34 PM
I just ordered one of the TS halters, what a bargain!! It was $59, then $15 off and free shipping!! So $44! And talk about fast shipping!! I ordered on Tuesday, it shipped Wednesday and will be here Friday!

I'm excited!!

DMK
Feb. 10, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have to say, you now own the OCD tack fitting obsession. I bow to you, your royal highness!

Why thank you, I promise to treat my subjects fairly during my reign. *snork*

Jumpers4life
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
We're still allowed to do that. :lol: :lol:

And I though you said there was no monarchy! :eek: :lol:

DMK
Feb. 11, 2010, 09:15 AM
:lol:

And I though you said there was no monarchy! :eek: :lol:

Well, LaurieP might have appointed me Queen, so things may be changing... stay tuned!

tidy rabbit
Feb. 11, 2010, 01:52 PM
Your HIGHness, could you critique the fit of my Quillen's halter on my dude? Thanks...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30982526&l=d991bd606c&id=1028947758

And...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30982526&l=d991bd606c&id=1028947758

hntrjmprpro45
Feb. 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
For those of you that like Quillin's halters... What is the wait on getting your order (halter with nameplate)? I bought one last night and was just wondering roughly how long it would take (there wasn't really any time frame on the website, though I figure it will be 3 weeksish).

tidy rabbit
Feb. 11, 2010, 02:23 PM
Mine have come really quickly. They will email you when they ship so you'll know it's coming. Also, I've noticed they don't make the charge against my account until the order is ready to ship.

Riley0522
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:21 PM
My Quillin came in about a week and a half.

hntrjmprpro45
Feb. 11, 2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks! (I'll let everyone know what I think of it when it gets here!)

kgro632
Feb. 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
I just recieved my Track Halter from TS. It is so, so, so nice!! I will never buy from anywhere else again!

superpony123
Feb. 15, 2010, 07:10 PM
I know you didn't mention Perri's in your OP but i just got my new horse a halter from smartpak, and the smartpak leather halters are made by Perri's, and I am very happy with it. It's a really pretty halter, well put together, nice leather, and for a great price. I paid around $49 including an engraved nameplate.

Jingo-ace
Feb. 15, 2010, 10:33 PM
Well, this was an appropriately timed thread for me. My ancient TB just broke his equally-ancient leather halter this week! I don't have another halter for the boy!

So... based on everyone's knowledge here, I just went ahead and ordered four of the track halters with brass nameplates on them from Tack Shack. (yes, for four different steeds!) Will let you know how they look and fit when I receive them. Let's hope the old horse appreciates his NEW leather halter! LOL

:) J

FineAlready
Feb. 16, 2010, 10:32 AM
I know you didn't mention Perri's in your OP but i just got my new horse a halter from smartpak, and the smartpak leather halters are made by Perri's, and I am very happy with it. It's a really pretty halter, well put together, nice leather, and for a great price. I paid around $49 including an engraved nameplate.

The stitching on the cheek piece of my Perri's Smartpak halter started coming out within one week. My horse is being rehabbed and does not even get turned out - so the only wear the halter was getting was when he was being groomed or walked. Pretty disappointing. :( Love, love, love Walsh halters. He has a nylon one with a leather crown piece for everyday (and turnout when he is allowed to go out again). Will be getting a nice leather one for shows when I can justify the expense.

touchstone-
Feb. 22, 2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I just wanted to chime in with an endorsement and a thank you.

I bought a Tack Shack halter after reading this thread. It came last week, and I'm incredibly impressed. It's lovely and high quality. I will definitely buy from them again in the future.

Jingo-ace
Feb. 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
O.k. I got my halters from Tack Shack. Ordered them on the 15th and they arrived at my doorstep on the 23rd - just 8 days! That's incredibly fast, imho.

I am VERY impressed with these halters. I ordered four with brass nameplates. They are a nice sturdy bridle-like leather, triple stitched everywhere, and look like they will last a LONG long long time! I have one that needs a little longer crown-strap, but all the others fit well, & have enough holes for adjustments. I am pleased to have come across this thread, just when my old one broke his old (20+ yrs) leather halter and decided to take a chance.

I would definitely order another halter if I needed one, and will recommend these halters to anyone who asks.

That's my 2-cents worth!
:) J

Equinoxfox
Feb. 25, 2010, 01:01 PM
My 2cents:
I purchased a Track Halter , Matching Lead. from Quillin's and it is Georgeous.
YOU can NOT go wrong .............:yes:

forestergirl99
Feb. 25, 2010, 06:02 PM
I LOVEEE my Quillins Track halter. Its gorgeous, and so well made!!! Its super soft and supple, and all I've done is clean it with some saddle soap when it gets dirty. I LOVE IT! :D

hntrjmprpro45
Feb. 25, 2010, 07:55 PM
I just got a Quillin's track halter and I must say that for the price, its a very nice quality halter (I think I paid $60ish total). Now what really impressed me was the engraved name plate, WOW! It was very deeply engraved and dark- its gotten lots of compliments and I plan on buying some more for my other horses.

Sugarbrook
Feb. 25, 2010, 10:21 PM
Our small ponies that have a tiny little head are hard to fit. They do need the 3/4 inch. Who would you suggest? Also, the medium ponies can be a pain to find a NICE looking halter. I always send my guys, and girls out in a new, nice looking halter when they are sold/ We are near tack/shack and I have been there many times.

Any ideas for me?

DMK
Mar. 12, 2010, 09:19 AM
one more bump, because good customer service should always be mentioned!

A while back I ordered a tack shack grooming halter and some fetlock boots and a free ball cap (I'll never turn down a ball cap). I got an e-mail the next day saying the order would be delayed since roma was back ordered on the boots and to let them know if it was a problem. Hey, nice personal touch, I thought, but no it wasn't a problem, it's not like I was doing a lot of riding this winter anyway.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, the halter (lovely as usual), the boots, a ball cap arrived yesterday, along with a note apologizing for the delay and a nice ariat stadium blanket as a "thank you for being patient" gift. So I thought that was a nice bit of extra service.

Oh yes, I managed to actually get some nice head shots of my guy - here he is in his tack shack halter (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4418917826_cce1454855_b.jpg) That's his daily use sit on the fence all day or night in the elements, daily use halter and I guess it's about 3 years old?

tallygirl
Nov. 23, 2010, 02:31 AM
Just got my TS sale halter today! LOVE IT!! i bought it after reading this threat and was so up in the air about which one to get, quillins or Tack shack. I LOVE the TS halter. I would like to try a quillins as well but it seems the prices have gone up since you all are saying they are about 60 with shipping. mine come out to like 85ish where my TS was about 44. Anyways just wanted to bump this thread up with a big thumbs up to tack shack of ocalas halters!! :D

Dolcevita1999
Nov. 23, 2010, 06:46 AM
Quillin is my choice and for those of you with Dogs, their dog collars are Great. I just ordered 2 last week to replace my 4 year old ones. There was absolutely Nothing wrong with the old ones Re: hardware or leather breaking but my Labs swim daily and they did look a little beat up plus I moved so I needed new info on the name plates. Had then in a week.

BAC
Nov. 23, 2010, 10:50 AM
Oh yes, I managed to actually get some nice head shots of my guy - here he is in his tack shack halter (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4418917826_cce1454855_b.jpg) That's his daily use sit on the fence all day or night in the elements, daily use halter and I guess it's about 3 years old?

Is that the sale halter or track halter he is wearing? I may have to try Tack Shack next time. And that is a very handsome horse you have.

LulaBell
Nov. 23, 2010, 11:17 AM
The Quillen and Tack Shack halters look really nice, especially considering the prices are definitely better than the Walsh one I have. However, here's a link to my Walsh one:

http://store.walshharness.com/products/productdetail/Showman+Halter+4700/part_number=4700/2745.0.1.1.73000.36755.14644.0.0?pp=20&

It is lovely. I got it for like $35, it had maybe been used once...not sure if I would splurge on it new. But I'll highly recommend it!

DMK
Nov. 23, 2010, 12:07 PM
Is that the sale halter or track halter he is wearing? I may have to try Tack Shack next time. And that is a very handsome horse you have.

I'm pretty sure it's the sale. Also thank's for the compliment! (although Robbie would look down his nose and say "well, of course..." :D )