PDA

View Full Version : Becky Holder article

Sandman
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:04 PM
Did anyone else read the article about Becky Holder in Practicle Horseman about her struggle to get in shape?
It doesn't sound like she really wants to be held up as an example for other people, but at the same time, I thought she said some pretty cool stuff about motivation and things you asume about yourself and other people asume about you.

eventerwannabe
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
I thought it was a really good article. I like that she is promoting a healthy life style and not caring so much about the number of pounds.

Due's Mom
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:20 PM
Has anyone got a copy of that article? I had a friend tell me about it the other day.

CookiePony
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:47 PM
Yes, I agree, it was inspirational. And well-written by a COTHer. :winkgrin:

lucky dog farm
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:32 PM
I loved the article. I love the fact she is not trying to be a size 4 but is comfortable in her own skin and just trying to get a bit healthier. Well done Becky!!

badawg
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:19 PM
I was totally moved by her article actually. I saw reflections of myself in her words. It's amazing how similar so many of us are in our weight loss and fitness efforts. I am one of those that is fairly fit, but overweight and always struggling a bit. And she inspired me to think differently about myself. Her comment about forced self love really struck me and I've been trying to make a point of that every day. Some days have been more successful than others, but I try to keep her in mind because she is really someone that I admire. She's amazing. Go Becky! ;) Go Me!

missamandarose
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:43 PM
Loved it. Made me feel rally motivated about getting back to the gym and picking up weightwatchers online again (i even lost 2 pound this first week!). I did really like that Becky makes it about fitness and health, and not a number on the scale or on a tag on a pair of breeches. :yes:

I actually wrote in an commented on the article, and the somewhat related "backlash" from a recent JW article (where he calls some rider fat, etc). My point was this: we need to stop making excuses for ourselves. As Becky said, we put our horses first in so many ways, but we make them lug our fat a$$es around. We need to put the same kind of thought into our own eating that we put into what our horses eat.

I'm pumped for 2010!

skip916
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:03 PM
I loved this article and have always been a huge fan of BH regardless of her size. As a size 14/12 who's personal trainer once remarked "you are WAY more in shape than you look!"... (um thanks?) I loved that she didn't put the emphasis on the number or the size, but on the feeling and the lifestyle. I also love that she put it in terms of the horse- we expect them to be fit and work on it constantly- so we need to be fit as well to be a suitable partner. I have a ton of respect for her and her horses and after reading that article, for everything she says because she just seems real and frank about everything. I know she doesn't necessarily want to be the "voice of the more voluptuous" riders, but it's really nice to know that a successful professional rider shares the struggles of the wannabe's like me!

Due's Mom
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:09 PM
This is all well and good but I can't find a Practical Horseman magazine locally.

RunForIt
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:28 PM
All I can say is I would trade my tiny body for Becky's riding ability/horse sense in a micro-second! :cool: also, she has amazing skin and is just CUTE!!! I do believe her husband would vouch for this!

swmets
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:58 PM
This is all well and good but I can't find a Practical Horseman magazine locally.

You can download a PDF online instantly for $5.99 or contact the editorial offices at 301-977-3900 if you'd like to order a hard copy.

Great article, BTW!

forbes79
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:55 PM
I was really excited to see the article about her, and I thought it was brave of her to be willing to talk about it so publicly. I also liked her comment about her working students benefitting from her healthier eating as well, even though they didn't need to lose weight. I see a lot of teenage/young adult girls who are thin, but are eating very poorly from a nutritional standpoint.

She also reminded me that I need to continue cutting back on my Diet Coke habit, doggone it. :p

circusponydreams
Jan. 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
I I thought it was brave of her to be willing to talk about it so publicly.

I agree! I liked the practical tips about how to eat better at shows and on the road, too.

wsmoak
Jan. 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
I was glad to see the article and thought it was well done. I'd been thinking about writing in to ask for a nutrition/recipe column as a companion to the monthly exercise series that PH does.

You can exercise for hours, but if you don't pay attention to what (and how much) you eat, you're not going to get the best results.

PortPonies
Jan. 15, 2010, 03:19 PM
I loved this article, and it was timely as my new year's resolution was to become a fitter partner for my new horse. What blew me away was that I was expecting the same-old, same-old: exercise more, get a personal trainer, etc. What I got instead was Becky's emphasis on making time for herself, which really hit home.

As a 40-hr a week worker, 30-hr a week student, and horse owner trying to get in 10 or so hours a week at the barn, it has been seemingly easier to grab food on the go and then stuff my face when I get stressed by everything on my plate and the rush-rush pace of it all. As I read the article, we were cooking a leisurely meal at home for the first weekend "off" we'd had in months. I realized Becky is right: taking time to make decent, fulfilling food and to de-stress and treat myself like my health matters is the missing piece in sustaining a healthier lifestyle.

It's only been a couple weeks, but I'm happy to report that my horse seems to be enjoying the slower, better-fed, and slightly lighter me :)