View Full Version : Bipolar electric tape fence- anyone use it?

Jan. 8, 2010, 04:07 PM
This will hopefully be The Year Of New Fencing, so I've been doing my shopping research. Came across Horseguard's newest product, the bipolar tape that doesn't require a ground, and I'm intrigued.

I have very hard dry ground, clay and chert, and getting a good ground on the electric fence is not easy. If this stuff really works it might be worth the extra cost.

Anyone care to give a COTH Consumer Report?

Jan. 8, 2010, 11:28 PM
Chose not to spend the extra money. In the summer, I just water the ground rod like a tree every couple of days. Now regretting not going bipolar, since the bottom strand is covered in drifting snow.

Jan. 8, 2010, 11:37 PM
Bipolar fencing needs constant monitoring because it has good days & bad days - sorry i could not resist! :lol:

Jan. 9, 2010, 01:06 AM
Bipolar fencing: needs medication to make it work consistently (I'm with you on this one Woodland - it's too good).

Jan. 9, 2010, 09:01 AM

Cute, but not exactly helpful! :cool:

MMavin, that was a thought (watering the fence) but where I think I'll have to put the charger is a long way from the hose. I'm really looking for a low mainenance option. SOMETHING on this place needs to be! ;)

Anyone else have any experience with the stuff?

Jan. 9, 2010, 09:04 AM
I like mine. Had trouble with the solar charger but have since replaced the battery (good customer service from the charger manufacturer). If you go solar, put the charger near an outlet for those times when the sun hasn't shone for days -- you can't run the fence off an outlet, but it charges the battery up pretty quick. No significant snow here, but HOT DRY summers for sure. BTW, it does NOT keep dogs in or out, despite what HorseGuard tells you! Also, the tape gates save lots of money over stock gates.

Jan. 9, 2010, 07:32 PM
I have it and love it!!! It is our sole fence and the horses respect it, hold up well, and it's a cinch to set up and splice into. For example I needed to seperate my two today so I ran one strand and spliced it into the fence along the line at a wooden post. One end was connected there and the other I terminated with their gate handle at the barn. Viola! Hot fence and it took literally five minutes... and that's being generous!

I have found it to be plenty hot (when the charger isn't dead... not the fence's fault) and holds up in high wind and heavy heavy snow!

Jan. 10, 2010, 01:55 AM
Put it in as a top line when we did our fencing this year. Not using a solar charger, but a good strong plug in one. Don't have to worry about the grounding with all the snow and ice here. So far it is working great, and according to the display on the charger (and my occasional contact error!) it has a really good zap and the horses respect it and stay away from the fence.

Jan. 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
I can attest for the fact that it has a very good zap. ;) We use it at my barn for the escape prone drafties and it really does the trick. I hope to use it to fix my Perchie houdini's wandering problem this spring.