PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else see this...Re:CMP???

Carried Away
Jan. 8, 2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/newsDisplay/viewPR.aspx?id=5244

Says he is "retiring" in 2012. Is this old news??

Gryhrs
Jan. 8, 2010, 04:13 PM
Wow. Don't know if it is old news or not. I nominate Denny to be his successor.

vineyridge
Jan. 8, 2010, 04:13 PM
So when does DOC's contract with the Canadians expire?

Seems to me as if the successor is already in the wings. DOC could retire as president of the USEF and take over the eventing team.

Don't y'all reckon that's a foregone conclusion/result.

SevenDogs
Jan. 8, 2010, 04:18 PM
Is it 2012 yet?

colliemom
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:16 PM
http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=2230

I find it amazing that "The search committee’s initial responsibility will be to develop a job description ... "

There has been no job description? That answers a lot of questions.

CatchMeIfUCan
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:33 PM
Looks like the Mayans were wrong-- the world is starting in 2012, not ending! The eventing world that is ;) !

Long Shadow Farm
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:04 PM
LOL...... it can't be soon enough. I want someone from America that has a vested interest in the American team...... who resides here and can spend time working with more people than just an elite few numbers. Maybe then we can develop our young rider program better.......

Bobbi

Gry2Yng
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:17 PM

I find it amazing that "The search committee’s initial responsibility will be to develop a job description ... "

Probably just SOP. HR always makes you update the job description when you start a search, even if you just updated it 6 months ago because someone decided titles should be changed from Vice President to Director.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:17 PM
Wahoo. It is about time. But jeeze, 2012 is a long while from now. How old will Jimmy be by then?! (JCW, you know I love you:winkgrin:)

RAyers
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:25 PM
I do NOT want somebody who is course designing, watching yon daughter compete for other countries etc., who gets locked on a myopic focus of a few selected favorites.

I want somebody who spends time developing riders and horses. I want somebody who goes beyond just coaching individuals at competitions and clinics. The US NEEDS a person who has a integrated vision of a development PROGRAM that LEADS to medals. They also need to be versed in fund raising and media interactions and will act as an ambassador for the sport in the US.

At this level it goes WAY beyond simply having competed at that level. Did Belicheck, Meyer, or almost any of the great coaches, etc. ever play at the top of their sports, no. However they are students of the total sport. Yes, you need a leader who has some experience (e.g. sure they should have been at the 3 star level minimum) but we also need a horseman who understands the idea of TEAM building using the myriad of resources available, including looking at youngsters (horses and riders) at the lower levels in anticipation of 10 years in the future.

Are Urban Meyer or Nick Sabin horsey guys?

Reed

JER
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:46 PM
If only eventing could find its Sócrates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B3crates).

(I'd be surprised if there's any real change in the program. Entrenchment seems to be the order of the day.)

SevenDogs
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
It would also be nice to have someone who actually appreciates horses and values good horsemanship, in the true sense of the word.

Say what you like about Jack LeGoff, but did anyone ever doubt his seriousness about the development and care of the horse? Can anyone even remotely say the same of Mr. Phillips?

I<3Sleepy
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:39 PM
That is very exciting and I second the vote for Denny!:D

TB or not TB?
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
Should we write letters in expressing our encouragement for the type of person we would like to see in this position?

Not so much of the CMP downing (and I am no more a fan that the rest), but positive qualities and traits, suggestions, strategies, etc?

Eventers and COTH in particular have some remarkable experience and ideas to contribute in a productive way. What do you all think?

Eventer5
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:49 PM
Why would he retire in an olympic year? Would it be after?

TB_eventer
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:10 PM
Why would he retire in an olympic year? Would it be after?

Definitely after. From the article:
"After 20 years, Capt. Mark Phillips has announced his retirement as Chef d’Equipe and Technical Advisor following the London Olympic Games to “give someone else the opportunity to put their stamp on the program.” " (emphasis mine)

Woooohoooooo! Also, as someone suggested, I think giving our input about what kind of person we would like to see as our new Captain is a GREAT idea! :yes::yes::yes:

WNT
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
Looks like the Mayans were wrong-- the world is starting in 2012, not ending! The eventing world that is ;) !

Well one of the theories regarding the 2012 prophecy is that it's not the End Of The World, but The End Of The World As We Know It (great song by the way...). So more of a paradigm shift, apparently heralded by the rebirth of eventing. Maybe someone will figure out how the Star Trek universe worked financially and money will no longer exist either... One can only hope.

JER
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
The next coach should be a FULL-TIME coach. Period.

The salary for this position in high enough so that there is NO reason to expect or allow anything other than a coach who gives 100% of his/her time to the US team.

This is what we should be pushing for as USEF members -- a full-time coach with no conflicts of interest and no competing interests.

CookiePony
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:48 PM

:D

InVA
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:04 PM
This is old news! DOC should stay with Canada since he's actually done some good for their team..
there are several excellent coach choices that will be retireing from competitive life in 2012...PD would be my choice

SimplyIdle
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:22 PM
there are several excellent coach choices that will be retireing from competitive life in 2012...

Who else is retiring in 2012?

LAZ
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:29 PM
I feel the same about this as I do about President--I don't know why anyone would want the job--it is thankless. (At least til the next generation proves its worth.) I'd like to see someone like Bruce Davidson or Jimmy Wofford take it on. Bruce has been an icon of this sport and has proven over the span of 35+ years that he has the ability to produce top class athletes. He and Jimmy (and Denny, who I can't imagine would take this on) are products of the LeGoff era which was an incredilby productive time for the USA.

I also would like to see it stay in the US, though I understand shopping overseas as a means of avoiding clique-isms.

I don't picture PD being ready to step down in 2012....but he's someone else who has repeatedly proven he can produce top quality.

pixietrix
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:59 PM
I'd put my money on PD. I think he WILL be ready for a change of direction in his career in 2012 and there is nobody ( I mean NOBODY, sorry all you Denny, Woff fans) better qualified to coach an international team that has the vigor of young age, no conflict of interest and the actual horsemanship and experience/success to back up his coaching.

EventingChase
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:10 PM
I think it will be PD as well. He just seems to be in the right position and all the stars aligning for it to happen for him.

TKR
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
"Are Urban Meyer or Nick Saban horsey people?" -- LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
RAyers -- you can have Urban but Nick is OURS (speaking for the Tide Nation, of course). He's getting a bronze statue on campus, so I doubt he's going anywhere -- certainly not if all the Tide fans can find a way to keep him! But he is a GREAT choice as a coach! ROLL TIDE #1!!

PennyG
Tide Fan

Meredith Clark
I do NOT want somebody who is course designing, watching yon daughter compete for other countries etc., who gets locked on a myopic focus of a few selected favorites.

I want somebody who spends time developing riders and horses. I want somebody who goes beyond just coaching individuals at competitions and clinics.

They also need to be versed in fund raising and media interactions and will act as an ambassador for the sport in the US.

At this level it goes WAY beyond simply having competed at that level. Yes, you need a leader who has some experience (e.g. sure they should have been at the 3 star level minimum) but we also need a horseman who understands the idea of TEAM building using the myriad of resources available, including looking at youngsters (horses and riders) at the lower levels in anticipation of 10 years in the future.

Reed

(original post by Reed edited by me)

I agree 100% with this post!

I don't think the new coach should do course design, it just seems like a conflict of interest to me.

It would be so nice to not have to explain the weird comments made by the leader of our US sport to my friends in other disciplines!

I also agree that sometimes the best coaches are not the best players, you see this in many other sports. I hate to use this example, but Coach K at Duke never played for the NBA but he got the US men's basketball team a Gold Medal at the 2008 Olympics.

I also hate hearing all the stories about amazingly talented riders that have no chance of getting noticed for the team due to lack of funds or not having a full barn of 4 star horses. I have no desire (or hope) to ride for the US but even being a smurf I can see how unfair things are.

Nomoreusernames
DC will anoint himself :lol: :lol: :lol:

CookiePony
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:24 PM
What about KOC?

Meredith Clark
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:43 PM
What about KOC?

She made some really weird (sexual) comments at the FHI press conference.. she'd have to learn to filter :lol:

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:03 AM
012 is a long while from now. How old will Jimmy be by then? 64:eek:! (JCW, you know I love you:winkgrin:) __________________
Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grann

OverandOnward
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:40 AM
So is the world ending in 2012 before or after the Olympics? Cuz no point in wasting time if it's not going to matter you know ... :winkgrin: :D

Originally Posted by CookiePony http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4607263#post4607263)
What about KOC?
She made some really weird (sexual) comments at the FHI press conference.. she'd have to learn to filter :lol:Also not to eat potato chips next to a live mike. A long and intensive emersion in Media Charm School would be needed.

That might be true of a number of possibles ... in fact, if cmp could get the course before the Olympics that would be helpful, too. I think most of the horsey people know that however bad some of what these people say sounds to the non-horsey public, that is not what they meant. But not sure that's enough for the future public image of the sport. Phraseology matters with the media.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:16 AM
Don't forget, some people can ride, some people can train, some people can coach. Not all necessarily all in the same package. Also, some people have absolutely no people skills, which may be why they are so good with horses. We need a new leader who can do just that:lead.

denny
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:54 AM
My 2 cents:

Jack Le Goff was born in 1931, so when he took over our program he was just 40. For the first 10-12 years, he was setting the world on fire, and then he retired after the 1984 Olympics.

I think our program needs a young (40-50, and 50`s pushing it) passionately involved man or woman, who lives in the US 52 weeks a year, who knows our programs top to bottom, and who can pull our community back together.

She/he would have "the new broom sweeps clean" effect, which we badly need.

Thames Pirate
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:52 AM
I also agree that sometimes the best coaches are not the best players, you see this in many other sports. I hate to use this example, but Coach K at Duke never played for the NBA but he got the US men's basketball team a Gold Medal at the 2008 Olympics.

As a Duke alum I was actually thinking of this example. Go Devils! Now back to your regularly scheduled thread . . . .

As a dual citizen ammie who hopes to one day compete at an FEI event, I have long debated which country I would want to represent. I have always come to the conclusion that I'd rather ride for Germany. We need a coach who can change the minds of people like me.

cyberbay
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:08 AM
The job at the Team as chef is to win medals, mostly at the O. Games That is the sole criteria for success. If you want the chef to also directly handle developing horses and riders, well, that's another set of abilities...

The politics at the Team are unbelievably difficult, with many people you've never met having an enormous sway over who has what job and who is going to be on what team.

Don't totally agree with Denny that the chef has to be in the country all the time. That is part of our problem -- the U.S. is isolated, and we don't know the trends of the sport because we're sometimes just cantering around our own hay fields mistaking it for the leading edge of the sport. The chef has to look ahead and be in the moment.

The coach has to have excellent people skills -- CMP apparently got good reviews during his early years here b/c he could be diplomatic. After awhile, though, wouldn't it be tiresome to keep having to sweet-talk the perpetually snappish ones, and maybe you just start marginalizing them for your own sanity? As well, the Team has zero relationship with the media itself, so it is hard to ask CMP to have better relations with it, given the leadership in that area.

denny
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:40 AM
Cyberbay, I meant live here, not stay here 365 days each year. Le Goff, De Nemethy, Chapot, Morris lived here, but travelled extensively to wherever the USET needed to be.

But their BASE was the USA.

LisaB
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:53 AM
Also, some of you guys are thinking that a great rider = great trainer. Not always the case. PD is wonderful but I don't think he would want to teach full time nor deal with the media. Keep him riding! That's what he's good at. Also BD and DEFINITELY not for the media! He's his own quirky person. And he'll rub too many people the wrong way. I enjoy him but many won't. KOC is brutal at training. She's a great asset to the team and can be the anchor person for the media but training and being an ambassador, hmm no.
If DOC steps down from his many hats, then yes, he's your man. But if not, then no. I don't know if Denny or Jimmy would want the job. It is daunting. But if they set their minds to it, both could do a smashing job.
If Lucinda or Ian decided to live here, then they could be in contention as well. But I doubt it.
We should make a list of people who actually TRAIN advanced riders. That should be the first priority. Then decide who can be an ambassador second.
So folks that have trained advanced eventers:
Jimmy
DOC
Denny
Bobby Costello(?)
Derek DiGrazio(thinking of w coasters)

tuppysmom
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:32 AM
I would prefer to see the new coach be someone who has ridden in competition recently. It is a new sport, in many ways, than it was in the '80s and '90s.

It is a shame that the success of a coach is measured only in the medals won....

I do think it would be best if they were based in the US. Not necessary that English be their native language.

I would also ask all applicants to drive round trip across the USA pulling a horse trailer, one time. Just so they can have that as a personal experience. There is a lot of space in the middle of the US. It isn't all about the coasts.

RAyers
Jan. 9, 2010, 11:37 AM
The job at the Team as chef is to win medals, mostly at the O. Games That is the sole criteria for success. If you want the chef to also directly handle developing horses and riders, well, that's another set of abilities...

The politics at the Team are unbelievably difficult, with many people you've never met having an enormous sway over who has what job and who is going to be on what team.

Don't totally agree with Denny that the chef has to be in the country all the time. That is part of our problem -- the U.S. is isolated, and we don't know the trends of the sport because we're sometimes just cantering around our own hay fields mistaking it for the leading edge of the sport. The chef has to look ahead and be in the moment.

To a point. Look at great coaches. They have a staff to help them but in the end the buck stops with the head coach. The team captain is not supposed to be a direct coach. They are a manager. While you suggest that these jobs are distinctly different, I say no they are not.

A team captain MUST let go of the day-to-day management of individuals, e.g. coaching on a day-to-day basis or doing extraneous activities such as course design, clinics, etc.

Again, look at top managers, CEOs, coaches. They can have tremendous success while developing a pipeline for development (e.g. having a scouting staff, conducting recruiting visits) of future players.

I agree with LisaB, DON'T look at the current top riders for the future. Look at those who train top riders and who have a successful business with depth of riders down to the novice level. They are the ones who get the idea of team building. Yes, they can still be competing, e.g. prelim but they need to be more currently focused as a STUDENT of the sport.

Reed

Shrapnel
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
Honestly COTHers, I hope the search committee throws the bank at Chris Bartle or someone similar. Look what he did with the Germans in a very short amount of time. Before 2003 they weren't even within striking distance of a team medal. Now look at them - World and Olympic Champions.

David O'Connor would be a great choice. However, that will really depend on when Karen decides to retire. And if he would be willing to leave the Canadians.

I like Jimmy Wofford, dont get me wrong, but he wouldn't be one of my top choices. I just wasnt impressed with the progress of the Canadians under him. IMO.

Shrapnel
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:24 PM
"Are Urban Meyer or Nick Saban horsey people?" -- LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
RAyers -- you can have Urban but Nick is OURS (speaking for the Tide Nation, of course). He's getting a bronze statue on campus, so I doubt he's going anywhere -- certainly not if all the Tide fans can find a way to keep him! But he is a GREAT choice as a coach! ROLL TIDE #1!!

PennyG
Tide Fan

Chris Bartle is the Nick Saban of Eventing.

LLDM
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:07 PM
Honestly COTHers, I hope the search committee throws the bank at Chris Bartle or someone similar. Look what he did with the Germans in a very short amount of time. Before 2003 they weren't even within striking distance of a team medal. Now look at them - World and Olympic Champions.

I think we would be lucky to get CB.

I think many countries go with a foreigner for good reason. But you have to get a GOOD foreigner! I'd love to see us with a talented German. Mostly because they tend to have very strong programs in our weaker areas (dressage, breeding, developing young horses & riders, discipline/structure in general ;)).

Germans also tend have a very plain, matter of fact manner of speaking which can make them quite clear and less open to interpretation. And they tend to accept failures as a necessary part of learning, and aren't so quick to dismiss a horse or a rider. They wait to see what is learned from them.

All in all, I think it would make a good cultural match, at least for a while. And no matter what the rivalry, I have always been impressed with the Germans' willingness to share their knowledge and experience. I've never gotten the impression that they are good at holding any type of information back! :lol: (Not even when one would prefer it.)

Someone who can teach would be good too.

And I think what most people here are saying is someone who would lift eventing up just by being a great example.

SCFarm

TB or not TB?
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:03 PM
I told the Boss to apply for the job. "Not in a million years - too many politics" was the answer. This coming from a person with a PhD in leadership and coaching. Gave me pause. I think this will be more of a challenge than we think.

albigears
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:29 PM
I agree with LisaB, DON'T look at the current top riders for the future. Look at those who train top riders and who have a successful business with depth of riders down to the novice level. They are the ones who get the idea of team building. Yes, they can still be competing, e.g. prelim but they need to be more currently focused as a STUDENT of the sport.

Reed

I agree. Teaching and coaching takes an entirely different set of skills than riding. There aren't many who can do both well.

retreadeventer
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:59 PM
To a point. Look at great coaches. They have a staff to help them but in the end the buck stops with the head coach. The team captain is not supposed to be a direct coach. They are a manager. While you suggest that these jobs are distinctly different, I say no they are not.

A team captain MUST let go of the day-to-day management of individuals, e.g. coaching on a day-to-day basis or doing extraneous activities such as course design, clinics, etc.

Again, look at top managers, CEOs, coaches. They can have tremendous success while developing a pipeline for development (e.g. having a scouting staff, conducting recruiting visits) of future players.

Reed

You just described Bea and Derek DiGrazia.
JMO, for what it's worth.

secretariat
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm gonna live hard for making this post, but I feel obligated.

I've studied (yes, studied, I didn't ride it. Criticism accepted) the US eventing effort since the 1960's. Absolutely fascinating, boringly repetitive. Surprisingly similar patter to my own profession (energy supply). I can take newspaper headlines from the 1920's, and you'd think they were today's headlines in energy; I can take 1978 headlines and if I strip the identifiers you'd think they were from today's eventing news. Before you criticize, understand your history.

Mark Phillips was hired to return US Eventing to the heights it had reached in the 1970's from absolute NADIR!! He accomplished that assignment, hands down. My complements to the Captain for successfully achieving his assigned goals.

I've watched him as a rider on old tapes, including Rolex and the interviews through KET. Very impressive.

I've seen him at board meetings and committees. When interested, he's a major contributor.

We've only recently attained enough status to actually have interaction with him as a coach. I can confidently say that he's a hell of coach, not perfect and not absolutely correct in all of this analyses (but then again, am I qualifed to have an opinion?), but a hell of a knowlegeable eventer who can communicate the concepts needed and contribute to major improvements in his advanced students. And he earned my respect as a horseman (my ultimate complement) at Fair Hill this year.

We will miss Captain Phillip's expertise. After a bunch of years, it's probably time for a change, but it's not because of lack of knowledge or talent on his part. And we all know that his PR skills are slightly south of perfect. Unfortunately, in today's environment, communication and PR are more important than expertise.

My personal thanks to Captain Phillips for returning US Eventing to a world class standard.

hb
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:02 PM

So let's all lobby to have "consideration for the welfare of the horse" in the job description!

AiryFairy
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:43 AM
My 2 cents:

Jack Le Goff was born in 1931, so when he took over our program he was just 40. For the first 10-12 years, he was setting the world on fire, and then he retired after the 1984 Olympics.

I think our program needs a young (40-50, and 50`s pushing it) passionately involved man or woman, who lives in the US 52 weeks a year, who knows our programs top to bottom, and who can pull our community back together.

She/he would have "the new broom sweeps clean" effect, which we badly need.

It would be nice if he/she were given the latitude to handle it without politics. Call me nostalgic, but I'd like to see a return to the common sense and ethics of the 'old guard' (no offense with the 'old'), Denny, Wofford, Bruce Sr., horsemanship, hard work and mileage and humane treatment of the horses above all, not just plopping oneself on the most expensive horses mommy could afford and calling yourself an 'eventer'.

So let's all lobby to have "consideration for the welfare of the horse" in the job description!

....which should just go without saying, shouldn't it?

NeverTime
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:37 PM
It would be nice if he/she were given the latitude to handle it without politics. Call me nostalgic, but I'd like to see a return to the common sense and ethics of the 'old guard' (no offense with the 'old'), Denny, Wofford, Bruce Sr., horsemanship, hard work and mileage and humane treatment of the horses above all, not just plopping oneself on the most expensive horses mommy could afford and calling yourself an 'eventer'.

What a sweet and utterly naive sentiment.

LLDM
Jan. 10, 2010, 02:48 PM
Secretariat - I get what you are saying - really I do. And I believe that for the most part you are quite correct. But I find absolutely no joy whatsoever in being right back where we were in 1978. Personally, I don't believe we have ever truly recovered from that year. I know too many terrific horsemen/women that turned away from eventing because of Lexington and the toll it took on the horses. And they turned not from horses, just from eventing - at least at anything above Pony Club levels.

Also, I agree that CMP has done what he was tasked to do. And THAT is a huge problem for me. Nor has this philosophy changed - so we are likely doomed to rinse and repeat.

I believe the problem is the idea that somehow winning medals is the key to keeping the sport healthy and the money flowing. And while it likely keeps the money flowing at the highest levels, I don't think it effects the lower levels nearly so much as good safety records, quality competitions and camaraderie. But I digress.

Nadir. Um, maybe for medal winning. But not for the rest of the sport. Those were some pretty good times - the late 80's and early 90's.

I don't know if it is possible to have both concurrently - medals and a happy, healthy, robust "rest of eventing". But that would certainly be my personal preference.

Honestly, I think that the IOC has it wrong. The grassroots of a sport should not be so integrated (nor governed) along with the highest levels. We are in it for two very different reasons. One is to win above all else. The other for the pure love of the game and playing it. And this I feel is a huge part of the problem. So no, it's not all on CMP. He just represents where all that goes wrong. And so will the next one if the parameters stay the same.

SCFarm

flutie1
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:43 PM
I'm gonna live hard for making this post, but I feel obligated.

I've studied (yes, studied, I didn't ride it. Criticism accepted) the US eventing effort since the 1960's. Absolutely fascinating, boringly repetitive. Surprisingly similar patter to my own profession (energy supply). I can take newspaper headlines from the 1920's, and you'd think they were today's headlines in energy; I can take 1978 headlines and if I strip the identifiers you'd think they were from today's eventing news. Before you criticize, understand your history.

Mark Phillips was hired to return US Eventing to the heights it had reached in the 1970's from absolute NADIR!! He accomplished that assignment, hands down. My complements to the Captain for successfully achieving his assigned goals.

I've watched him as a rider on old tapes, including Rolex and the interviews through KET. Very impressive.

I've seen him at board meetings and committees. When interested, he's a major contributor.

We've only recently attained enough status to actually have interaction with him as a coach. I can confidently say that he's a hell of coach, not perfect and not absolutely correct in all of this analyses (but then again, am I qualifed to have an opinion?), but a hell of a knowlegeable eventer who can communicate the concepts needed and contribute to major improvements in his advanced students. And he earned my respect as a horseman (my ultimate complement) at Fair Hill this year.

We will miss Captain Phillip's expertise. After a bunch of years, it's probably time for a change, but it's not because of lack of knowledge or talent on his part. And we all know that his PR skills are slightly south of perfect. Unfortunately, in today's environment, communication and PR are more important than expertise.

My personal thanks to Captain Phillips for returning US Eventing to a world class standard.

Secretariat - Thank you for saying this. I am very tired of those who paint CMP as the Antichrist. He's hardly perfect. Who is? He often misses being a good role model by a mile. His communication skills are generally not great. Like the little girl with the forehead curl of fable fame, however, when he's good he's really really good - and when he's bad, he has the posters on this Forum to publicize it. As you so wisely pointed out, when he's interested, he's a major player. I've dealt with him in several different roles and have found him occasionally charming, occasionally funny, occasionally sympathetic, but mostly, a font of knowledge about many fields relating to horses and eventing.

I join you in saying Thank You to the Captain for all that he's done - and yes, I also think he'd be the first to agree that it's time for a change!

flutie

GotSpots
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:11 PM
Nadir. Um, maybe for medal winning. But not for the rest of the sport. Those were some pretty good times - the late 80's and early 90's.
Gosh, maybe I'm clouded in my old age, but not sure I'd call the Barcelona Olympics good times for the sport (and especially not for the US team). Or the spate of really awful, really public crashes/falls/deaths that were in that time frame.

I understand why some folks don't like CMP. And, frankly, if ribbons/medals are the guidepost, than the Hong Kong performance should been rated about a D-. But we also ought to give credit where credit is due, and he does many things very very well, including teaching. I had the pleasure of auditing several days of his lessons with some of the high performance folks awhile back and thought it was an incredible education to get to listen to him teach them. Obviously it's anecdotal, but the man - at least on those days and with those riders - had a phenomenal eye and could really teach.

LLDM
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:39 PM
Gosh Gotspots you are right. I wasn't being clear. I meant good for the grassroots end of things.

The events were generally comfortably full, accidents (at least around here) were fairly rare and usually not serious. Good horsemanship and sportsmanship were the norm and politics wasn't much of an issue.

Can't say one way or another about the upper level goings on as no one I knew was paying much attention. Goodness knows no one spoke much about the problems after Lexington '78. In my circles we basically just ignored them, as there was little we felt we could do and their issues didn't impact us much either way.

The "big names" we cliniced or lessoned with were all long since retired from active UL competitions and not the types to be politicos.

My point was they were two very different worlds back then and likely better because of it. The USCTA and the USET were entirely different creatures. The AHSA was for hunters and we went over there to do some of that - not get our rule changes for eventing.

SCFarm

Kaelurus
Jan. 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
Are Urban Meyer or Nick Sabin horsey guys?

Reed

Urban Meyer + horses = my dream come true...

CookiePony
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:57 PM
The AHSA was for hunters and we went over there to do some of that - not get our rule changes for eventing.

Haven't the rules been from the AHSA/ USEF for many years? When did that start?

OK, I will throw out another possibility since I struck out with the last one...

Kim Severson?

JER
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
Who'll be bringing these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hello_naomi/2488493912/) to his farewell party?

What I'd really like to see is that by 2012, we'll all be genuinely sad to see him go. He's got two years left and hopefully, he has some sense of the state of the sport in the US. There's still plenty of time for him to build a strong program that will go forward as his legacy.

I really hope that happens.

Foxhall
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:55 AM
David's got my vote. He is an amazing rider, but an even more amazing coach , and there are not many people that can meet that.

VicariousRider
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
FWIW: There have been rumors circulating indicating that PD intends to scale back his international competition schedule in favor of more training/coaching, etc. Maybe he would welcome the challenge of replacing CMP in 2 years.

I suppose time will tell...

advmom
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:48 PM
What will LL do following London??