PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bats/Crops

equestrian94
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hi, I had read somewhere else on the forum that there was a thread about custom crop/bat makers, but I can't seem to find it. I know about Angel's bats and Stinger's bats, but are there any others who make custom bats/crops?

TIA =D

cgray0983
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:48 PM
I started one:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211798

I ended up going with SmartPak - they use Fowlers, they make awesome Jockey whips (I was looking for a jumping crop). I got it for my boyfriend, its beautifully made and got the perfect weight.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=6784

rwh
Jan. 8, 2010, 04:48 PM
I started one:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211798

I ended up going with SmartPak - they use Fowlers, they make awesome Jockey whips (I was looking for a jumping crop). I got it for my boyfriend, its beautifully made and got the perfect weight.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=6784

Any pics of the final product?

cgray0983
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:29 PM
I will have to take one >.< Its up at the barn in the tack trunk. I will try and remember!

mbmarsh
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:28 PM
Let me tell you guys - I was one of the ones looking for a nice jumper bat with the patent vinyl stem in the other thread - not wanting to spend over $100 for a crop, I finally found the one my trainer has, and it's perfect.

It's this: http://www.ridingwhips.com/product-p/ride18.htm

Made by Old Mill in Ireland, Cabin Branch Tack Shop in Southern Pines, NC has them for $45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, you read that correctly. It stunk that I had to make the 2 hour drive down there to pick one out of the basket of them that they have, but I love this bat, perfect weight, grip, and durability. I've been looking for almost a year, and almost went the Fowler's way, but finally got this one.

I imagine if you call Cabin Branch, they'd be happy to ship you one.

upnover192
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:11 PM
Judy's Tack Shop in Germantown makes really phenominal custom crops! Including shipping they're about $50 and nicer then most crops that are double that. You can choose what kind of handle, what kind of popper, if you want the little feathers by the popper (i think jockey whips have them?) and then your main crop color and 2 trim colors. So I got the "tulip" end popper with golf club handle (both black) and then the main part of the crop is dark charcoal with 2 smaller stripes of light green and light blue. I'm pretty sure it's all made of leather but i could be wrong. They're SUPER and very very durable!

equestrian94
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the answers! I'll check them all out =D.

equestrian94
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
Judy's Tack Shop in Germantown makes really phenominal custom crops! Including shipping they're about $50 and nicer then most crops that are double that. You can choose what kind of handle, what kind of popper, if you want the little feathers by the popper (i think jockey whips have them?) and then your main crop color and 2 trim colors. So I got the "tulip" end popper with golf club handle (both black) and then the main part of the crop is dark charcoal with 2 smaller stripes of light green and light blue. I'm pretty sure it's all made of leather but i could be wrong. They're SUPER and very very durable!

I had emailed Judy's tack about their custom crops and they said that Angel (aandjice.com) makes them for them. Just curious, how could it only cost $50 from Judy's, but cost $125 from Angel? Thats weird but I'm not gonna argue with that price haha xD

sansibar
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have two custom ordered stingers from www.bahrsaddlery.com they may not be on their website but if you e-mail the store they will probably be able to help you :)

I love mine they are indestructible and very efficient :)

I'll see if I can get photos of them. :), I think I paid between $65-85 CAD?

rwh
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:21 PM

Oooh. Any pics of that?

JazCreekInc.
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:28 PM
The Fowler's whips are really nice, I have one of them that is long and has great flex and balance. I also had a Trust whip that I really liked but the end fell off so Monica from J2 ordered me a Bains whip (shorter and heavier than fowler) and I am waiting for that... The one's I have seen are beautiful though! All custom for Fowlers and Bain's if you choose to go that way!

LovesHorses
Jan. 2, 2012, 08:10 PM
Has anyone else found a custom crop where you can put a name on it? Old Mill wants 30 Pounds to ship the crop that cost 38 Pounds to make :(

mbmarsh
Jan. 3, 2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I just got one from Fowler's, since I couldn't get anyone to get the Old Mill whips in the US for me, and the handle finally popped off the one I have. I'm actually really happy with it.

http://jockeydepot.com/?pageID=517252

They put your name on it, but it's just a sticker, but still......and they are cheaper than going through Smartpak. I ordered one a couple days before Christmas, and they had it to me within three days, with no special shipping or anything. $45, and great!!!! Check them out! You can specify color, exact length, exact flex, everything.

I was really happy, because I have another jockey whip I got off eBay, and the handle is really too thick for my hands, so much that it makes my hands cramp after 30 minutes. Fowler's lets you specify how thick the handle should be, and it fits MUCH better.

Seriously, I've been looking for a crop for almost a year, and I haven't found anything that didn't cost over $100 (which is hard to pay for something I lose routinely). These are REALLY nice, especially for the money.