PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Grater stirrup pads- yay or nay?

forestergirl99
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:29 PM
Title says it all.

LD1129
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:32 PM
They are ok but they will chew up the soles of your boots and be very very careful when running the stirrup up and down because it will scratch the saddle very easily.

I wanted them but I am going with the pads that have the sand paper bottom instead.

GGsuperpony
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:35 PM
I vote sandpaper instead of cheese grater. Same effect IMO and easier on your saddle and boots.

SkipChange
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:39 PM
Ouch ouch. They're fine for show, but go ride in them for 3 hours solid and then talk to me! They make my feet hurt, and back hurt too. I used them for lessons and shows for about a year. Not to mention I have cut my knucles on them and then can scratch your saddle.

Regular stirrup pads wear out sooner than I'd like. I *hate* feet slipping in worn out stirrup pads. I bought some sandpaper on the bottom type pads which I did like a fair bit recently.

Got the Super Comfort pads that are the black, grippy wrap around kind. I haven't ridden in mine yet but really liked the feel the one time I rode in a friend's. Supposed to be super comfy, hence the name :D I'm sure these have drawbacks too but to me they appear they will work better for me than the ouchy metal cheese graters. I will know as soon as I get to ride (horse is off at training during Christmas break).

klmck63
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:48 PM
Yay! I loff mine :D

WorthTheWait95
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:53 PM
I love mine but they do take some getting used to. I used to abrade my hands running up my stirrups until I got used to grabbing the stirrup by the bar instead of the pad.

LDavis104
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:03 PM
Cheese grater pads were too "hard" for my liking - at first I was like woohoo these are super grippy (I have the worst time with my feet sliding out when I put my heels down), but then they were a bit uncomfortable for me when pushing my heels down for an hour, there's no give from rubber or padding, just hard metal. And my feet would still slip sometimes anyways because the soles of my boots were getting really worn from the cheese grater pads.

I prefer the Super Comfort pads too - have had them for about 2 years and they're still grippy. My boot tread wears faster than the Super Comfort pads. I destroy the sandpaper type pads, and everything else wears down too fast. I'm hard on my stuff I guess, I use it 7 days a week!

DMK
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:04 PM
pro jumps!

forestergirl99
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys!!

Rockfish
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
i lurv mine! I used to swear by sandpaper pads, until I drew a horse at and IHSA show that had cheesegraters on her saddle, and haven't gone back. I get a better grip.

KnKShowmom
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
DD loves them - upgraded from the sandpaper ones and says they are much better!

TrakeGirl
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:32 PM
I like both the cheese graters and Super Comfort pads for their anti-slip properties.

Trainer saddle has the cheese graters: her leathers are chewed up from them, but saddle seems okay.

I have the Super Comfort pads: as I have posted before, my leathers are fine, but they scratch up my saddle. I may be unique in this.

I put Crown Royal bags on my irons to protect my saddle and actually have a custom saddle cover on the way with cut out slots to put my irons through so I will be storing them on the outside of the cover, away from the saddle.

Totally worth it though. I hate riding without them.

jawa
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
Pro Jumps are the best!! They don't have the same effect as the cheese grater kind on stirrup or saddle. I had a friend who had the sandpaper kind, was riding in drizzle and was left with goo!!

Hunter/JumperMom
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:04 PM
I bought something years ago for my daughter, they were sturdy, solid but screwed into the stirrup? they gave the grip of the cheese grater, but didn't ruin your boot. I found them at Beval, they weren't cheap, maybe 30-40 bucks, but no more lost pads!!

Ok, I guess they are prob the pro jumps

Come Shine
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
I loff my cheese grater pads, too. For the $10 they cost, I would try a pair. If you don't like them, rinse them off and you could probably sell them for what you paid.

young_ammy
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:13 PM
Yay! I totally love mine. They're fabulous.

forestergirl99
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:33 PM
I loff my cheese grater pads, too. For the $10 they cost, I would try a pair. If you don't like them, rinse them off and you could probably sell them for what you paid.

I actually got them for free with some stirrups I bought. I was just wondering if they would be worth digging them up and trying them.

KateKat
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:07 PM
I actually got them for free with some stirrups I bought. I was just wondering if they would be worth digging them up and trying them.

I like them and prefer them to sandpaper ones. Haven't noticed them affecting my leathers, but I have not checked the soles of my boots.

Sabovee
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:45 PM
I loved mine - until I got hung up on them one time I was dumped by a young horse... and dragged. I couldn't get my foot out of the stirrup because of those pads. Took them off my saddle that day and never went back.

alteringwego
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:01 PM
too easy to grate up your stirrup leathers so I went with the wrap around kind. Been very satisfied!

greyshowjumper
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:03 PM
LOVE THEM!!! They help a bunch when doing jumpers. Just got the composite stirrups and REALLY love them. Good luck!

3 is the limit
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
I vote a big NO on the cheesegraters. Not only do they tear up your saddle, but your boot can get really stuck on them.

I went to dismount and pulled both my feet out of the stirrups (thought it was both feet) and was shocked to find myself basically screwed because my free foot was on the ground and the caught one was high up on my horse's flank.

My horse was a rock star and didn't move a muscle. I'm glad he didn't because given the position I was in, he could have taken me on a run for the roses. :eek:

I have the sandpaper ones now and am very happy with them.

tBHj
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:29 PM
Ouch ouch. They're fine for show, but go ride in them for 3 hours solid and then talk to me! They make my feet hurt, and back hurt too. I used them for lessons and shows for about a year. Not to mention I have cut my knucles on them and then can scratch your saddle.

Regular stirrup pads wear out sooner than I'd like. I *hate* feet slipping in worn out stirrup pads. I bought some sandpaper on the bottom type pads which I did like a fair bit recently.

Got the Super Comfort pads that are the black, grippy wrap around kind. I haven't ridden in mine yet but really liked the feel the one time I rode in a friend's. Supposed to be super comfy, hence the name :D I'm sure these have drawbacks too but to me they appear they will work better for me than the ouchy metal cheese graters. I will know as soon as I get to ride (horse is off at training during Christmas break).

I have these, and love them! It feels weird to ride in a saddle that doesn't have them on the stirrup irons.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:24 PM
Get the pro jump ones that screw into the bottom of the iron with a plate and rubber gasket.

The cheapie cheese grater ones tear up your hands, boots, leathers, etc. And they get loose in the bottom of the iron too.

chawley
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:12 PM
I don't care for them. A couple of the saddles I ride other horses in have them, and I find them to hurt my feet. I prefer plain, old rubber pads so I can move might foot more readily. It's a personal thing.

findeight
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:16 PM
How are the cheese grater pads tearing up your leathers?
I've had them forever-like 8 years or so-and have never had any trouble with tearing up the leathers or scratching the saddle. When I run the irons up, I twist the leather around the side of the iron then back down between tread and saddle. No trouble at all.

Love mine. Would not put a novice rider in them or ride real Greenies for the reasons mentioned above...and for those that actually do ride 8 a day? Maybe something softer would be better.

The sandpaper ones never lasted long at all for me and the rubber grid or nubbie type wore down pretty quick as well.

And they are certainly cheap. Which may not be an issue for some but sure was for me.

Fiction
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:37 PM
Pro-Jumps - way better than cheese graters!
http://www.projump.com/SureGripPads.htm

They screw in, so you never lose them. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and they still haven't worn down (which also makes the price justified). I find them significantly grippier than regular irons or sandpapers, but less scratchy on your tack and hands than the cheese graters. They also don't make a ton of rattling noise that the cheese graters do when you drop your stirrups, which is ideal when do you a lot of no stirrups work on spooky horses.

Summit Springs Farm
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:56 PM
I say nay! I like these

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0724&ids=55018053

Summit Springs Farm
Jan. 9, 2010, 03:58 PM
BUT I bought these when I got a new saddle and LOVE EM!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-07017&ids=55018307

bascher
Jan. 9, 2010, 04:00 PM
LOVE THEM! They haven't ripped up my saddle or my boots or anything and I've had them for a long time. My farrier hammered them in for me lol!

EMWalker
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:11 PM
I love mine and have never had a problem. They have never cut up my boots, leathers, saddle or anything else and have never slipped in the stirrup.
I don't get to ride every day but when I do I'm usually on at least 3 and don't find that my feet hurt at all.
I used to use the flex ones and they are softer on my knees but my foot slipped a bit more. The cheese graters keep my foot where I like it and I just feel more secure.

*jumper*
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:37 PM
I love mine. I have the Royal Riders so they don't really come in contact with my saddle if they're done up properly. My soles are fine too. I like the feel and I don't find them uncomfortable.

indygirl2560
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have cheese grater pads on my stirrups and I love them! They have done absolutely no harm to the soles of my boots and the only thing I have to be careful of is when I'm running my stirrups up after riding(if I'm not careful, the leathers will get scratched).

sisu27
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:00 PM
I love mine. I have the Royal Riders so they don't really come in contact with my saddle if they're done up properly. My soles are fine too. I like the feel and I don't find them uncomfortable.

Same. RRs must be designed differently because I can't figure out how they could scratch my saddle.

3DogNight
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:06 PM
Love the Pro Jumps Sure Grip pads. Have them in all of my stirrups. Have been using them for quite some time, haven't damaged leathers or saddles at all, clean up super easy (especially in dishwasher). Well worth the price.

SonnysMom
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:42 PM
Love the Pro Jumps- I have had mine for about 7 years.
We have a local high end tack store that won't sell the cheese grater stirrups since the owner has seen two bad wrecks where the pro rider was drug since they could get their foot free from the stirrup.

Show_hunters
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:43 PM
I love mine!

flogarty
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:56 PM
love them!!!

ljc
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:25 AM
Loved mine. That is, until a lovely amatuer jumper rider (this was up in the Bay Area a few years back) was killed when her foot got stuck in her stirrup and she was dragged, with her horse kicking her in the head.

Everyone I knew took their cheese grater stirrups off immediately. Not worth the risk.

Aliascml
Nov. 30, 2011, 06:56 PM
I love riding with the cheese grater pads! However, mine began to rattle and I took them out and tried the original pads. I decided to go back to the cheese grater pads and they don't fit anymore. I have tried numerous things to get them to fit tightly again, but they are worse than ever. Any suggestions?

meupatdoes
Nov. 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
I love mine, but I learned pretty quick to only ever handle the stirrup by the sides.
:lol:

TarheelJD
Nov. 30, 2011, 07:07 PM
Love my Royal Riders with cheese graters! I've nt found them to be uncomfortabe at all. They don't scrtach teh saddle, but can scrach the stirrup leathers if you're not careful running them up. I'll have to check the bottom of my boots -- I never considered that.

sschuessler
Nov. 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
I love my cheese graters after I took a rock to them for a few minutes to get the sharp sharp points off of them when they were new. Now they have the perfect amount of grip without killing my feet or being too sharp

Renn/aissance
Nov. 30, 2011, 07:25 PM
Yea from me. I love mine.

danceronice
Nov. 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
What the heck ARE these? They sound awful.

I had rubber pads on my old stirrups. I bought a new cheap pair with no pads in them, threw them on because I was too cheap to go back and buy any matching pads and the ones from the old stirrups didn't fit, so I now I ride on the plain metal of the stirrup. They're just lightweight nickle things, too. Never had any problems getting stuck in them.

supershorty628
Nov. 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority, but I hate the cheese graters. I don't like any of the specialty stirrups, actually...plain fillis irons for me! Mine have metal pads as opposed to rubber because I destroy the rubber ones in about a month (I split them somehow, always in the same place).

stolen virtue
Dec. 1, 2011, 12:31 AM
Cheese graters hurt my feet. After a mere 20 minutes I am crippled for the next day. I did break both of my feet in my twenties so I have some arthitis. I need a comfortable stirrup pad and cheese graters are too painfull.

mustangsal85
Dec. 1, 2011, 09:31 AM
I say YAY I have used cheese graters since before I can remember so I guess I am used to them but I have 0 complaints except I do have to clean dirt out of them every couple of weeks.

conderko
Dec. 1, 2011, 05:34 PM
definitely a YAY!!
I love them, they really do keep you more stable. I have the royal riders and went with them most because of the stirrup pad options if they didnt have that choice i probably wouldnt have bothered with them.