PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the Stephen Bradley Clinic?

caffeinated
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
In Sykesville this weekend?

Just curious who we might see! (we will be manning the hot-drinks-and-cookies table *grin*)

asterix
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
I will be there on day 2, last session, with the husband horse (aka the munchkin, aka the 17 hand thelwell pony. he's hard to miss).
Looking forward to those hot drinks!!!

pharmgirl
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
I won't be (had hardware removed from my elbow today), but my horse will be there :D. Just look for a giant appaloosa!
Mythical84 will be riding him for me (thatnks so much mythical!)

caffeinated
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:57 PM
There apparently will be lots of cookies, as Martha Stewart is secretly one of our volunteers :)

CANTER is benefiting from auditing fees, so pass the word :) I will also have some lovely enabling material with me *grin*

Snapdragon
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'll be riding both days, and Asterix, I'm also in the last session on Sun, so looking forward to meeting you.

Hubby came home tonight after a visit from Costco with a whole box of hand/toe warmers--I've never used them, but I'm sure they'll come in handy this weekend! I'll bring some extras for anyone who wants them.

Oh, and, mmmm, coookies.

Snapdragon
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:43 PM
Just got an e-mail that the BO where the clinic is being held is bringing in heaters, so for anyone who wants to audit (for a good cause--$15 to CANTER), you should be pretty comfortable.

mythical84
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
I have 3 BN/N spaces available on Sunday if anyone wants to ride in a jumping lesson. 9-10:30 and 10:30-noon. $115.

I'm seriously looking forward to jumping both Pharmgirl's big horse in the baby group and my little horse in the big boy group. :D

evntr06
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:36 PM
I am hoping to audit both days! What time does the clinic start?

Snapdragon, good call on the hand/toe warmers! I completely forgot about them - will need to pick some up on the way.

mythical84
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
9-1:15 on Saturday (dressage)
9-4 on Sunday (jumping)

Snapdragon
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:28 PM
It starts at 9 a.m. both days. I'll be there at about 9 tomorrow, with a bunch of hand warmers (free for the taking)--so don't worry about bringing them!

I'll put them where the cookies are! I only have two pairs of toe warmers to put out--they were "bonuses" (three pairs) with my big ol' box of hand warmers, and I'm going to try one set tomorrow for the first time. My toes were freezing even late this afternoon riding in an indoor!

Meredith Clark
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:41 PM
I saw a facebook rumor that the indoor is heated :cool:

I wish not only to be going, but wish that I would have been riding enough this winter to make it worth it :lol:

Maybe my heated indoor will be up by next year and I can host it :lol:

asterix
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:17 PM
pharmgirl, you are awake and...typing??? (she's only got one working arm at the moment)....

yep, I'm planning on breaking out the hand and toe warmers mr asterix bought me for xmas. I am also assuming SB won't mind if I am wearing winter boots and a fleece headband, right?

Snapdragon, what does your steed look like?

Dr. Doolittle
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:30 PM
pharmgirl, you are awake and...typing??? (she's only got one working arm at the moment)....

yep, I'm planning on breaking out the hand and toe warmers mr asterix bought me for xmas. I am also assuming SB won't mind if I am wearing winter boots and a fleece headband, right?

Snapdragon, what does your steed look like?

Have fun, and be sure to give us a report!

And no, SB *so* does NOT mind you wearing appropriate winter clothing--in the winter...;)

asterix
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:44 PM
will do, Dr. D.

Now I am having visions of showing up for a summer clinic outfitted in all my winter gear....:D

quietann
Jan. 9, 2010, 12:00 AM
It starts at 9 a.m. both days. I'll be there at about 9 tomorrow, with a bunch of hand warmers (free for the taking)--so don't worry about bringing them!

I'll put them where the cookies are! I only have two pairs of toe warmers to put out--they were "bonuses" (three pairs) with my big ol' box of hand warmers, and I'm going to try one set tomorrow for the first time. My toes were freezing even late this afternoon riding in an indoor!

By the way -- you can use masking tape to tape handwarmers to your socks as toe warmers. That's what I'm doing, because handwarmers in bulk cost less than half of what individually packaged toe warmers do.

pharmgirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:21 AM
I saw a facebook rumor that the indoor is heated :cool:

I wish not only to be going, but wish that I would have been riding enough this winter to make it worth it :lol:

Maybe my heated indoor will be up by next year and I can host it :lol:

Yes, it looks like Liz Patrick aw WEF rented industrial heaters for the clinic. :)

asterix- I am typing but slowly since it is with only one arm. Must get my COTH fix you know ;).

Snapdragon
Jan. 9, 2010, 07:44 PM
quietann, great tip! Thanks!

It was definitely cold this morning, but props to Liz for the heaters--very nice in the indoor.

Had a lovely ride with Stephen and had a lightbulb moment (I love those) about how I'm riding. We were matched up perfectly with the other rider and horse in my session, and Stephen is such at pro at balancing his attention between different riders (i.e., he has eyes in the back of his head!).

Dot did not like the Snickerdoodles--she obviously has issues and needs to seek help--but I figured, more for me! For those attending tomorrow, I highly recommend the baked goods and hot chocolate.

OneDaySoon
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:52 AM
Kudos to Mythical, Liz, the Canter volunteers, and Stephen - this was a great way to dust off the icy cobwebs and get excited about 2010! There were some really interesting horse and rider combinations out there and lots of fun and enthusiasm.

Snapdragon - I think we were teamed-up, and like you mentioned, it was a perfect pairing. Mythical you are a genius!

Can't wait until the next one!

mythical84
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:27 PM
I hope everyone had a good time. CANTER was awesome and I can't thank them enough for their assistance.

Snapdragon
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks Mythical for organizing the clinic--I hope Stephen will do more in MD in the future. I thought the exercises and Stephen's feedback were extremely instructive and helpful. I really enjoyed watching everyone else in our group and hearing Stephen's comments about them. It was a great group, with horses with different ways of going, but all lovely beasties. It was fun to see all the different types of successful riders and horses.

I especially was taken by his comment about riders having to learn to ride more forward--that the courses, particularly at the upper levels were not encouraging that. And that riding forward to jumps was something we had to challenge ourselves to do. I loved his "experimental" way of training--that is, try this and let's see what happens.

I know, especially with Miss Let's Go!, I tend to micromanage, which feeds into my somewhat control-freak tendency. So coming around to a jump really going forward was great fun and made me realize I can just let her move out and jump.

evntr06
Jan. 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
Yep, I enjoyed watching horses and riders as well. All the groups I saw were very capable, effective and brave riders - wonderful bunch to learn from! :)

asterix
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
AH, Snapdragon, that was you!!! We chatted afterwards on the way back to the trailers.

Agreed, had a great time, was only a LITTLE cold (but I am freezing all the time anyway), and absolutely loved riding with Stephen.

The munchkin had really only one munchkin moment (stripey pole, eeps!) but was otherwise quite grown up, and I too found it very helpful to think about "forward" in the context of relaxed.

Most impressive was the low key but effective way he applied this to the hotter horses (like snapdragon's) in our group -- the munchkin is certainly not hot (but a positive pocket rocket compared to his big brother :lol:) so this isn't something i have to deal with, but to start a lesson with the horse really making a bid for the x and end the lesson putting your leg ON to make a forward striding --- all without one moment of visible "WHOA" on the rider's part -- THAT is good coaching, and good riding.

caffeinated
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
I got so much out of watching and helping... so glad we had the opportunity :)

yellowbritches
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:46 PM
I hope Stephen will do more in MD in the future.
FYI, Stephen is NOT hard to get to or that far away (well, I guess it does depend on where you are in MD). And he has always been more than welcoming to give lessons. Unlike a lot of ULRs, Stephen never seems to limit taking students to X level. :yes: Part of the reason I love him!

and Stephen is such at pro at balancing his attention between different riders (i.e., he has eyes in the back of his head!).
Over the summer, I ended up taking Vernon over to Stephen's with a friend and her two star horse (the boss was supposed to ride his horse with her, but ended up not going for some reason). So, friend and I shared a lesson on her two star horse and my 5 year old training level horse. The lesson was totally suitable for BOTH horses and riders (funny, both horses and riders had similar issues, which probably helped- very BOLD horses). The only real "drag" was that he'd spend a few minutes on an exercise with one horse while the other pair watched, then switched so the height could be made appropriate. It was pretty fun to see someone be able to teach to vastly different experienced horses, and do it well and so everyone took a lot home from it. :yes:

Snapdragon
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:19 PM
Asterix, it was so nice to meet you and chat for a bit! Usually, the word "cute" refers to little things, but your big boy is majorly cute!

YB, good point! That's one of the many reasons I like Stephen so much. We've been trying to get a lesson scheduled for the past month, but this darn weather just isn't cooperating. I like riding in clinics because I almost always ride on my own. I so enjoy watching other people ride, and I also like NOT having an instructor's complete attention--too much pressure!:lol: