PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for 1st jumper show?? Please?

Gryhrs
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:34 AM
So....I come from eventer world and was going to go to my first jumper show this weekend but weather prevented me from going. I would so appreciate any
advice re etiquette....wardrobe.....rules of the road, etc! As an example - it took me an hour to figure out what the classes meant. Is there a reference guide to the levels? Do they differ show to show? What would you have have wanted to know going to your first show. Thanks! P.S. I am not talking grand prix here ... I just wanted to be in the babiest classes which at this show was .9m or so.

forestergirl99
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
A lot of people in jumpers wear a polo, but I think a show shirt and jacket look nicer.

Another big thing is, don't try to be the fastest. It is your first show, so you should try to make it a positive experience for you and your horse. Go out there and just put it a nice smooth round. :)

Noctis
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:41 AM
Check the USEF rulebook, its really good! Other than that, its pretty much the same as a stadium round with a jumpoff. The jumper tables in the rule book will spell out the individual specs per class (ie table IIb etc) :) Have fun!

SkipChange
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:37 PM
Check the USEF rulebook, its really good! Other than that, its pretty much the same as a stadium round with a jumpoff. The jumper tables in the rule book will spell out the individual specs per class (ie table IIb etc) :) Have fun!

Yep, the most important part is know what table the class is, this tells you if you stay in for the jump off, come back after everyone has finished, or power and speed.
http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2010/17-JP.pdf
That should link you to the jumper rule book, scroll down to about page 24 and read it if you haven't already.

And (most) of us don't bite like some eventers like to believe ;) so if you can't figure out a class feel free to ask someone. Your gate steward *should* be helpful. You can go ask the ring steward/gate person "How much longer till class 0.9M jumpers start?" and they may tell you how many trips are left before your class. There's usually not a posted order of go like eventing, so once you're ready go check in with the person working the gate and tell them to put your there and ready to show. I hope some of that made sense & have fun!

sycamoreshowmom
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:41 PM
Have Fun!

Gryhrs
Jan. 8, 2010, 01:02 PM
And (most) of us don't bite like some eventers like to believe ;) so if you can't figure out a class feel free to ask someone

:) Your prompt and kind answers have already dispelled any myths!

In addition to the USEF website is there a website specifically devoted to hunter/jumpers, like the eventer's useventing.com ??

SkipChange
Jan. 8, 2010, 01:29 PM
We do have the United States Hunter Jumper Association, that would probably be the closest thing
http://ushja.org/

yellowbritches
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:10 PM
And (most) of us don't bite like some eventers like to believe
As an event rider, I have found this to be very true, both at the jumper in-gate and the hunter in-gate. When I go do some jumpers, I never hesitate to ask either the gate person or my fellow riders what kind of class this is/do I stay in to jump off, etc. They are always more than willing to keep me straight, and, at the hunter in-gate, I've even gotten a few last minute pointers and the occasional kind hearted ribbing (since, while I can gallop around a xc course, the act of going in a doing a nice hunter round makes me queasy! :lol:).

You'll have fun, and it is very nice to be able to go in a few times and work out the kinks, which we don't have the luxury of at events.

Gryhrs
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:51 PM
Ditto Yellow Britches. I would love to try a hunter round but know that is waaay out of my league. My goal is "do not embarass my horse......do not embarass my horse....!"

Thanks all.

SkipChange
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:17 PM
Ditto Yellow Britches. I would love to try a hunter round but know that is waaay out of my league. My goal is "do not embarass my horse......do not embarass my horse....!"

Thanks all.

You'll be fine! Feel free to post pictures if ya' feel like it :D And you shouldn't be too afraid of hunters. I've got a young Canadian WB with knee and hock action like crazy and my trainer has suggested we show in hunters :lol: for experience. We will see about that in a few weeks!

00Jumper
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:58 PM
I second what all the above posters have said! Just try to lay down a smooth, clear round - don't worry about time! :D

Also, don't be scared to show the hunters either; my AA/AO jumper mare and I did hunters for a few years to put some low-key mileage on her before we switched to jumpers (well actually, we fancied her a hunter - but she had other ideas! :lol:). In retrospect, her jump was always too big and exuberant, and she had a tendency to get bored and frolic around the corners, but sometimes we would lay down a really nice trip and manage a ribbon! There's a certain satisfaction to putting in a really good hunter round and a type of quiet finesse that you can really work on in the hunter ring when that's kind of the goal!:)