PDA

View Full Version : Pessoa Changeable Gullet Saddles

js
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
Anyone have the new Pessoa with the changeable gullet plates? Do you like it, is it worth the trouble. I have a Bates CC but my TB hates the CAIR. I like the ability to adjust the width of the gullet and not be stuck with a saddle that is only one size.

Also, do you prefer the Bayflex or the AMS Wool flocking?

RugBug
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:18 AM
A barnmate has one and it's sort of working for her while she's waiting for her custom saddle. I'm guessing she'll sell the Pessoa once the new one is in. Her horse is very wide and it seemed to fit him fairly well.

Interestingly, they tried to purchase another Pessoa to fit their narrow TB. I tried it on my horse as well (narrow TB) and the narrowest gullet wasn't narrow enough. Also, the only supposed difference between the two saddle was the seat size (wide one is an 18, other is a 17.5) but there were visibly different in shape. I haven't ridden in the 18, but the 17.5 wasn't forward enough in the flap. It also felt very tippy to me. I didn't like it at all and wouldn't have purchased it even if it did fit my horse. The balance on the 18" one, however, just looks better.

I do like the idea of the changeable gullet...just make sure you try the one you buy because it may not fit like another of the same saddle.

fleur de duc
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:14 PM
I bought the Gen X model last year .. i hate it. I am actually going to be brining it back b/c the stitching has split in the pommel/seat area and I refuse to just throw that much money out the window!

I loved the gullet system though. I hope I can get those issues resolved and keep the Xchange system.

pwrpfflynn
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
I bought a Gen X this summer and I love it however, I only have one horse to ride and don't have to change the gullet. I made my husband do that when I got it new but he didn't say it was a big deal. My horse has a really wide shoulder so that was about my only option but I have not been unhappy with it in anyway.

fleur de duc
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:42 PM
I bought a Gen X this summer and I love it however, I only have one horse to ride and don't have to change the gullet. I made my husband do that when I got it new but he didn't say it was a big deal. My horse has a really wide shoulder so that was about my only option but I have not been unhappy with it in anyway.

yes changing the gullet is not difficult by any means. I have found it easier than some other brands.