PDA

View Full Version : USEA History Project Proposal

denny
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:39 AM
So we`ve just had our 50th anniversary, and a group of us were talking about some of the great old events that we used to go to that for any number of reasons are no longer active.

I think it would be a great project to create an archive, probably by USEA areas, of these former events, while there are still people around who can remember them.

A few examples:
Shepley Hill, Groton,MA, Sister and Albert Gould
Doornhof Farm, Shaftsbury, VT, Janet and Henry Schurink
Ledyard Farm, So. Hamilton, MA, Helen and Neil Ayer
Your Father`s Moustache, CT, Alynn (sp?) Schiavone
Foxbrush Farm, near Concord, NH, Sheila and Jack Carlson
Ships Quarters, MD, Sally Robertson

And so on, dozens, maybe even hundreds of good old events, that came, lasted for decades, some of them, and faded away.

Wouldn`t it be a good project to create some sort of way for future US eventers to know the history of their sport? What are some of the others, large or small? How might this be done? Is it a worthwhile project, or simply irrelevant?

EventingDiva
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:48 AM
Denny-

Great idea. I'm not too old but I do remember these great events. It would be wonderful to put an archive together for the history of the sport. I have been talking to some of my students about our upcoming show schedule and where they would like to go XC schooling. I almost fell out of my chair when they asked what Ledyard was and if they had "cool jumps" there. :eek: I explained to them it was the first international 3day in the US and their course and land is gorgeous! I completely agree with getting this going! Great idea!

ctab
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:57 AM
I think that is an AWESOME idea.
I had wanted to put some kind of book together with that idea in mind. I wanted to include other countries as well. There have been other books like it that I have seen but the ones I found are 15+ years older. A website would be even better because you could have more than printed media.
I would love to have a really comprehensive history of eventing from the beginning to now, covering not just the great moments but showing how it takes many small efforts to get to those Olympic moments.
Without the smaller venues many eventers would not be able to get experience to get to the really big events or even have a place to event at all. Without volunteers and farm owners we would not have a sport at all.
It is a pretty big project as now eventing is about 100 years old if you go back to the early Olympics when it was just the military.
With the WEG just a few months away, maybe a booth there and website where those in the know could post their experiences with these events and their personal memories, upload photos and videos. I could envision an exhibit at the Lex. Horse Museum with memorabilia of eventing. Old helmets, weight pads, old saddles, maybe a replica of some the more intimidating jumps, some interactive media like seeing what it is like to go over a **** course from the riders point of view (like Mike Smith did when he filmed with a helmet cam on Zanyatta during a workout this summer).
Let me know how I can help!
Christina

OhMissLibrarian
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Denny,
Great idea!! Please make sure you add Pleasant Hollow (Coopersburg, PA) to your list.

The Cory family (especially Jane & John) worked really hard, and were very successful at becoming one of the premier events in Area II, especially when the sport was just emerging. They made Pleasant Hollow, literally from the ground up, as it had not been an event location/farm/stable previously.

They had a wonderful reputation for holding a quality event, and it showed by the numbers and quality of people who came. The events were well attended, and almost always had a waiting list.

Their events always had a lot of "big name" people, and they would come again and again.......but having said that, all the levels (from BN on up) were always filled- and the courses were challenging yet fair.

I am not terribly old, but was privileged to witness a lot of their events (and the subsequent hard work that was done behind the scenes), as I used to board, take lessons, and help out at events- and I can tell you that it was a wonderful, once in a lifetime experience for me.

I have many wonderful memories of watching Bruce and many, many other current and future "luminaries" of the sport cantering around the indoor, warming up for Dressage in their red team coats.

Just my 2 cents.......Thanks for hearing me out.

denny
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:30 AM
I`m not adding or forgetting anyone. This isn`t my project, or any one person`s project. This is way too big a country for that.

I sort of envisage a profile of what the event was, who was/were the organizers, where and when it was, maybe a photo or two or three, just a general reminiscence of the event.

Should the archives be on line in the USEA site? That`s my first inclination, if they`re willing. I haven`t spoken with anyone except right here.

This can go somewhere, or maybe stop here, up to us.

Noctis
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm a youngun...but I would LOVE to read and learn more about the old events. I've read about them on CoTH, or in people's books, but I don't think these histories should be lost! I think that it would be awesome on the USEA site, people just learning about the sport could see where we've come from and where we are today.

Auburn
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
Down South:

Timber Acres Ranch -Dr. Bob and Peg Whitehurst, Buhl, AL. (bred and owned Lazer, who Mike Plumb rode through Intermediate.) Where I started Pony Club and "Combined Training". :D

Patchwork Farm - Dr. Chauncey and Pat Thuss, Birmingham, AL. (Home of the Cahaba Pony Club, where Wash Bishop got his start.) Bela Buttykay was the instructor and a great man! :yes:

OhMissLibrarian
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:41 AM
Denny, I like what you are envisioning. I think having them be online on the USEA site is a great idea, as it would be accessable for anyone to view.

That way, things can be added and/or updated as needed. If it were to happen, then perhapts each area could be responsible for submitting past events from their respective areas.

Whereas, in book or print form, you are limited to whenever it goes to print, and then if you would like to add an event after the fact, I guess you will have to start writing volume II.

LisaB
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:43 AM
Out west. Horse Trials at Showpark in San Diego. They made this venue after the 84 Olympics. I think it was some concession after have the x-c on the Rancho Santa Fe golf course.
It was there before the polo grounds and even Mary's Tack was in this shack across the street.
The 'water' jump was the San Dieguito "River" which was basically a stream if it were here on the east coast and God forbid if you got dumped in there. It contained a lot of sewage.
Anyway, it's defunct and I'm guessing the outfit moved up to Copper Meadows.

CookiePony
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:55 AM
Professional historian here. :D

There are a few distinct options for documenting the history of individual HTs or eventing in general, none of which are mutually exclusive.

1. Archives. This means gathering the documents (including photos and ephemera) associated with each HT and depositing them somewhere (the National Sporting Library is an obvious candidate). The archives could be made more accessible via the web (for an example of a digital collection, see http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/touring/ ).

2. Oral History. This requires someone to track down organizers, volunteers, officials, competitors, grooms, etc. and conducting interviews with them, which are recorded and, ideally, transcribed. Some oral history collections have been published in book form and a few have even been digitized and put online (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/digital/collections/oral_hist/cox/index.html); (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/digital/collections/oral_hist/cox/index.html%29;) others live at archival repositories like the National Sporting Library and the user has to visit the library to access them.

3. Monograph/ secondary source. This is a book, article, etc. by a historian, professional or amateur. S/he gathers and interprets the archives and/ or oral histories and creates an analysis of the events of the past, in a coherent narrative.

Anyone who wants to develop an eventing history project would have to decide on one or more of the three formats above.

Hope this helps!

CookiePony
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:59 AM
I should also add: the scope of the project is of course up to the historian. One can gather archives, conduct oral history interviews, or write a book/ article about one event, the entire history of eventing in this country, or anything in between (regional histories of eventing, certain decades or people, etc.).

Thames Pirate
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:11 AM
Flat Creek was a lower level event that ran for 30 years in GA. We lost it about 5 years ago.

Gryhrs
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:17 AM
Great idea! There was a very popular event in southern Indiana - Mumford Farms. Of course with my impeccable sense of timing....the last event was maybe 2 minutes before I moved to S. Ind and began riding lessons and learned what eventing actually was. Now our nearest event is a 2 1/2 hour drive. However to Cookie Pony's point....I know one of the organizers and she once brought me a program to peruse. It was interesting to see names that are still competing 20 + years later. I will call her and make a copy and see if she can give me more history. She did tell me one reason that the event wound down was battle fatigue from the organizers. The same people carried the load every year and simply became tired. I wonder if the farm where the event was held is still owned by same family and if they have any jumps or photos, etc. Oooh...goodie....a dead of winter project which will allow me to continue to put off cleaning my closets.

LexInVA
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:27 AM
It would be an interesting idea. I think overall, there is a sort of whispered demand in many circles for an overall retrospective look at the history and transition into the modern-day Equestrian sports that the USEF oversees.

LAZ
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
Great idea! There was a very popular event in southern Indiana - Mumford Farms. Of course with my impeccable sense of timing....the last event was maybe 2 minutes before I moved to S. Ind and began riding lessons and learned what eventing actually was. Now our nearest event is a 2 1/2 hour drive. However to Cookie Pony's point....I know one of the organizers and she once brought me a program to peruse. It was interesting to see names that are still competing 20 + years later. I will call her and make a copy and see if she can give me more history. She did tell me one reason that the event wound down was battle fatigue from the organizers. The same people carried the load every year and simply became tired. I wonder if the farm where the event was held is still owned by same family and if they have any jumps or photos, etc. Oooh...goodie....a dead of winter project which will allow me to continue to put off cleaning my closets.

Mumford Farms was one of my favorites and the New Britton Hunt HT (which was in Zionsville, IN) were both wonderful events. I can easily dig up stuff on the NBHHT. New Britton was last held in 1984 and I think Mumford lasted a few years longer--maybe 86 or so?

denny
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:02 AM
I just saw Lefreda Williams at the local tack shop. She remembers a whole bunch of Ohio/midwestern events that are long gone. There are probably more than we realize.
Here are a few more:
St George`s Quarters, NC Old Chatham, NY Greenspring Valley, MD., Peter Green Blue Ridge, VA, Trish Gilbert, Little River, NC Monadnock, NH

LAZ
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:09 AM
I just saw Lefreda Williams at the local tack shop. She remembers a whole bunch of Ohio/midwestern events that are long gone.

This prompted my memory--there was a event held up at Firestones place in Northern Ohio that was a lot of fun-- I think it was called Bath HT? I think it was last held in 89 or 90.

EventerAJ
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:19 AM
I think it would be REALLY cool if there was an overal US Eventing archive, with stories, results and treasures from the past. It would also be great if we could keep adding to it NOW, for future preservation.

Perhaps it could be combined with other statistical info, like event results/scores, to track historical trends as the sport evolves? We know the USEA gathers data about falls, etc, but what happens to it? Does anyone look at it over time?

It would be an ENORMOUS project, but surely there is someone(s) out there dedicated enough with the resources to try?

There is an AMAZING historical site (http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/statistics.html) for the University of Kentucky basketball team-- it has records, game info, photos, archives all the way back through the '30s. It is not fancy, but very easy to navigate. All the info is interlinked; historical data about related places, dates, players, game write-ups, etc can be accessed from within any page. There are sections devoted to rule changes, tracking trends, favorite stories and myths/misconceptions. And this entire site was developed by ONE person!

If an eventing site existed with this much info in one place, WOW. Can you imagine comparing dressage scores from 1960 to today? Looking at photos of how course design/jump building has changed? I think it would be really neat to examine how the sport has progressed, track trends from the past and compare to today.

nadasy
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:22 AM
1965 the National Horse Trials and 3-Day at Genesee Valley-

I actually rode at that one-my first event:
http://photos.imageevent.com/nadasy43/favoritesport/websize/sept9sailorsamdht65.jpg

yes, that's my moto-cross helmet, and my baggy white breeches, and yes...equipment has certainly changed...

Mr. Charles Plumb with M'Lord Connelly and his shillelagh at the 'water leap'

Meg Plumb with her wonderful Foster, Donnan Sharpe and many of the great coaches of the time, Von Visey, Nadasy, Rethy.

My dad took photos and they are still on 16mm film. I had some transferred to 8mm-have to get those out.

The dressage was priceless with those 3-Day Fit horses...

LAZ
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:36 AM
1965 the National Horse Trials and 3-Day at Genesee Valley-

I actually rode at that one-my first event:
http://photos.imageevent.com/nadasy43/favoritesport/websize/sept9sailorsamdht65.jpg

yes, that's my moto-cross helmet, and my baggy white breeches, and yes...equipment has certainly changed...

That's a classic! And look at the fence--wagon wheels look to be leaned there to give the appearance of being more solid!

ReSomething
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:06 PM
Of course it's a worthwhile idea! Even back in the 1970's I was a wannabe - (not my horse however - jump that? Why, pray tell?) I volunteered at a place called Silver Lining in the CA foothills outside of Jackson - great fun. IIRC the rules were completely different - three refusals and out on xc - either that or I E'd some poor soul in error.

My first instructor had a team that was I think called the Fog Runners, composed of juniors from the barn - I don't know what rules were in effect in 1976-77 which is when I think they had it. My re-riding instructor competed and has her presentation photos from the '80's up on her website.

My recollection was that Eventing was a New Thing to our area in the early '70's - I'd love to be able to really learn more - I think the Museum of the Horse would be a great place to start with an exhibit. Army Olympics to modern C****.

retreadeventer
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:26 PM
Oh boy is this project up my alley, Cookie Pony and Denny!

I agree with the proper historical methods of data and info collection, Cookie. I think it is a project that should be headquartered with the USEA, but, they do not have the funding available I am sure to do a thorough job.

Many old records and photographs as well as reports from the long gone events are probably around in the office, but finding someone with the time (and time is money....) to properly archive, record, glean, and present them is the question. They have a lot to do in the "here and now" just doing membership and competition concerns. This is a project that would need funding, or a sponsor of some kind. But I think one dedicated person with a good digital camera, scanner, computer, and something to record audio (that I am not up to speed on) for oral history, and weekends free for the next two years could do it.

Denny - you are right, this forum is an excellent one to ask about the old events because so many people here know of them, are from the area, etc. It's a great resource to use for starters, then you'd want programs, results, pictures, etc. for the rest of it.

Cookie Pony, it seems like the project would best be organized on a per-event basis, then on a regional basis - like Essex Horse Trials (which morphed into the Essex Three-Day Event), or Pleasant Hollow Horse Trials, Blue Ridge HT, Ship's Quarters HT, Chesterland Three Day Event - East; or Deep Creek Horse Trials, Washington, Pebble Beach HT, Calif. - West, etc.

Atigirl
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
I think that this would be a project for each area probably organized through Adult Riders (since we are the old folks who would remember the good old days and events)

riderboy
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
Outstanding idea. That,of course, from a history buff.

retreadeventer
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:44 PM
Certainly Adult Riders can be a resource as can other eventing people. I think former organizers still living are the best source, as Denny stated.

Cookie Pony knows whereof she speaks - if it is going to be done it should be done right. I think that is the reason the USEA has not delved into it -- that and the staff is already wacked out busy just keeping up with regular stuff.

Volunteer produced blogs are an option but I would prefer something more professional. In addition, a more professional approach could be funded or sponsored, and then, could be more comprehensive and worthy of the great events and the sport's past. When you use volunteer-provided stuff, just speaking from experience doing a lot of newsletters and things for groups, someone always gets their feelings hurt when you have to edit something or leave out a poorly focused photograph, etc.

Plumb Loco
Jan. 8, 2010, 01:05 PM
The Roberts family ran a little event called High Pastures in Boxboro, Mass. in the late 70's (and early 80's?).

It was a big deal for the kids in Groton Pony Club.

fooler
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:34 PM
I think that this would be a project for each area probably organized through Adult Riders (since we are the old folks who would remember the good old days and events)

Possibly a project for Adult Riders of each Area to retrieve and sort event names, programs and pictures, etc. I am a packrat and still have old programs from Area III, plus a few from other Areas where I visited.
The AA, with assist from YR, could also conduct oral interviews with surviving organizers, secretaries, volunteers and/or riders of extinct events. Much like the multi-year StoryCorprs project by PBS to record oral stories of individuals around the US.
Then send all of the "Area" data to the 'historian(s)" to compile.

I suggest a web-site, as it is easier to update as new memories or photos, etc are located.

PhoenixFarm
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
Very cool.

I won the Junior Training division at Silver Lining in like 1989 or so, LOL, on my Appy. Fun memories. Anyone remember Fall River Ranch? A friend of mine and I got lost hacking on the logging trails the day before and were lost for several hours, and they had to send out the search parties. We saw a mountain lion!

But West Coasters, how can it be that I am the first to mention Wild Horse Valley Ranch? Or Pebble Beach? Or Lily Glen?

All amazing venues/events. How about the fact there was a sign at the bottom of Wild Horse Valley Ranch Rd that said "Trucks with Trailers not Recommended" LOL. I remember being about 12 and seeing Wild Horse's Serpent re-creation and thinking it was impossible to jump (and then jumping it myself about 3 years later). Or galloping along the Pacific Ocean at Pebble Beach while on course (and being terrified of falling off and having your horse get loose on that pristine golf course?) Or Lily Glen's beauty (and the Budweiser Tanker Truck with a tap on the side and no attendant--misspent youth? What? Moving on . . . :winkgrin::cool::lol:).

I and my friends have a pretty good picture collection, and I may still even have some ribbons. We certainly have memories (and not all of them beer-soaked, LOL). I'd be happy to help.

retreadeventer
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:52 PM
I did mention Pebble Beach.

And I have a photo from Lily Glen! (Lily Glen was in Oregon). Had two wonderful events there on four horses, and do you remember sitting around the bonfire with everyone talking and ... well doing other things?

And...Canada had a few that are gone now.
Arizona?
Kentucky?
New Jersey?

KMErickson
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:02 PM
This is such a cool idea! I would be VERY interested in helping out in this in any way possible. I am currently on leave of absence from college (where I am a history major!) and could lend a good amount of time to the search. Archival research is so fun!!

How can I help???

CookiePony
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:02 PM
Yes, this project begs for funding and professionalism, both of which are in short supply, of course!

Out of curiosity I asked the National Sporting Library what their collections policies are about this. They have limited shelf space and limited resources for processing a collection. So they would be interested in documents from selected large events only. They would also like films on VHS and DVD.

The librarian I corresponded with read this thread and commented, "Someone in the eventing community would need to spearhead the project and write up a collection development policy with clear objectives and limitations in order to focus and control what is accumulated."

This is not to say that people can't independently round up materials and share them on the web. However, if the goal is a comprehensive archive related to eventing, whether housed at the NSL, USEA headquarters, or in roomier quarters somewhere else , a more structured approach would need to be taken. Also, a blog or website could be wonderful, but the goal is permanence-- and blogs and websites have a habit of disappearing into the ether.

kcrubin
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:26 PM
Here are a few that come to mind:

Flat Creek - Ga
Midland - Ga
Pleasant Hollow - Pa
Essex
Radnor 3 Day - Pa

canterlope
Jan. 9, 2010, 06:12 AM
Some of these East Coasters may already have been mentioned:

Area I
Willow-A-View
Rhine Valley
Pembury House
Senator Bell
Cayuga
Red Horse

Area II
Slow Journey
Fort Bragg
Elysian Hills
Menfelt
Somerset
Yadkin Valley
Whilton Farm
Wit's End

Area III
Sharpton
Suncatcher
Canterbury
Valhalla
Basingstoke
Jumping Branch
Suwanne Downs
North Georgia
Fox Hall
Midland
Hopeland
Stonesthrow

denny
Jan. 9, 2010, 07:37 AM
Matthew Mackay-Smith, speaking about his famous father, Alexander Mackay-Smith, was once asked: "How has your father accomplished so incredibly much?"

Matthew replied that his father was a great one to think up ideas, but even better in finding the right people to execute them, to make them into reality.

I can identify with that! I have all these ideas, but very often don`t know how to get them from A to Z.

This archive/remembrance of "ghost" events past isn`t my idea so much as the result of several eventers saying "Wouldn`t it be a good idea-----"

How can it actually happen? I agree the USEA staff is overloaded, so who should spearhead this effort?

There are people all over the USA who remember these old events, and can send details, but send them to who?

FRM
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:13 AM
The longest running event in Area III was the Midland Horse Trials, going for 30 years until it's end several years ago. Over the years it was run on property belonging to the Hart family, then the Foley family until it moved to Ben Hardaway's farm and benefitted for years from his generous support. The Midland Horse Trials provided Area III with the first long-form 3-Day Event (only up to Preliminary level) in the 1980's.

As a committee member in later years, I remember with great pride that one year our only injury accident to report was a cut finger obtained while opening a beer. It was a fun, friendly event back in the days when it was a fun, friendly sport but towards the end it was clear the sport was radically changing. We all held our breaths when the Novice riders went on course because the level of riding had dropped considerably over the years and one factor in the decision to close it was the first equine fatality (5-yo horse going Preliminary with a teen-age rider falling into a ditch and wall that had been on the course for 20 years with no problems). Once the decision was made, the dates were released to the Stegmans at Poplar Place who have made a real contribution to the sport in Area III.

FRM
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:21 AM
Correction to my post: I think the Midland 3-Day Event was actually in the late 1970's, not 80's.

denny
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:48 AM
Puckerbrush, Maine, Mrs Grey

Immokkolee (sp?) FL.

Pemi Valley, NH (only lasted a short time)

Flying Horse Farm, Hamilton, MA, John and Dianne Pingree This was a major event.

Over the Walls, MA. Torrance Watkins

nadasy
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:02 AM
Will-O-View was in Arkport, NY run by Dick and Donna LaValle. It was unrecognized for many years after it was recognized and closed in the early 90's. Nice local event.

Drive NJ
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:06 AM
Wouldn't it be interesting to add in the timeline when major rule changes altered the direction of the sport too?

I've always found it fascinating how new to a sport people have no clue where rules came from or why or how they changed things

Atigirl
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't it be interesting to add in the timeline when major rule changes altered the direction of the sport too?

I've always found it fascinating how new to a sport people have no clue where rules came from or why or how they changed things

I agree with this as part of the history. Try explaining to a teenager "hanging on until you cleared the penalty zone"!:lol:

tuppysmom
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:15 AM
Probably already mentioned but.

Freeman Farms OR

Far Hills Farm OR

Chase Creek BC

Long House BC

CookiePony
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:35 AM
The longest running event in Area III was the Midland Horse Trials, going for 30 years until it's end several years ago.

Actually... isn't Middle Tennessee the longest continuously-running event in Area III? It ran for the 57th (57th!) year this year. The trophy I won was fifty years old (named after Mason Houghland)!

How can it actually happen? I agree the USEA staff is overloaded, so who should spearhead this effort?

There are people all over the USA who remember these old events, and can send details, but send them to who?

You need an archivist and/or historian who can write grants and who is not tethered down by academic demands. This is something I would love to do BUT I am pre-tenure and have no extra room on my plate for at least the next three years.

So... any retired historians or archivists out there in the USEA membership, preferably close to USEA headquarters?

Maybe you could put out the call in a Between Rounds, Denny?

FRM
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=CookiePony;4607943]Actually... isn't Middle Tennessee the longest continuously-running event in Area III? It ran for the 57th (57th!) year this year. The trophy I won was fifty years old (named after Mason Houghland)!

You're right - Nashville was the first event in the area; wasn't aware it was still going as I'm no longer involved in the sport.

EventerAJ
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:11 PM
St James Farm in Wheaton, IL (outside of Chicago). An absolutely beautiful farm, hosted the DeBroke championships at one time (I still have an old poster!). I entered the pony club/eventing scene a bit too late, only able to compete at the horse trial once before it ended.

I remember our Pony Club camps there, and riding under the street (major Butterfield Rd) through the tunnel to reach the steeplechase course. Really special place, such a shame to lose it.

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:31 PM
Great idea:yes:;)!Blue Ridge;), Ledyard:eek:, Flying Horse:cool:

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:33 PM
Green Spring Valley Hounds:eek:
Middleburg:winkgrin:

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:35 PM
Green Spring Valley was Peter and Linda GREEN; MIDDburg, Tom WilsonS' FAMILY

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:50 PM
cHESTERLAND, BRUCE; SITE OF not only the Debroke, but also , the fall Advanced championships; an intrnationallevel 3 zday , with many top class riders coming, Lucinda , who, tied with Grant and Dutch for first, decided on time, closest to optimum; Mark Phillips, Jimmy who, got dumped in the warm up for SJ but, remounted to jump a clear round

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:54 PM
Genesee Valley, Dayton, greater Cincinnati,

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 01:56 PM
Rose Hill, Ont. Canada 3de, Canadian championships

Kanga
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:02 PM
Phoenix Farm,

Those were some of the best events ever. We can not forget WILD HORSE VALLEY RANCH in NAPA California. If you at all grew up in the 70's & 80's, and evented on the West Coast you would know what I mean. There is so much history to be told about this wonderful event that the Murray Family ran for many years.

Alden Murray posts on here and I'm sure would be happy to get whatever information someone would need to put this together. This should be done before we are all too old to remember anything!!

Great idea Denny!!

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:11 PM
quote=CookiePony;4607943]Actually... isn't Middle Tennessee the longest continuously-running event in Area III? It ran for the 57th (57th!) year this year. The trophy I won was fifty years old (named after Mason Houghland)
!I once had a student whose, Pony Club DC, Mildred Gaines, had kept a journal of that first event; she wrote about a red heded kid:lol: runing around, his name:confused:? Jimmy Wofford:lol:

Black Points
Jan. 10, 2010, 12:59 PM
Just wanted to add

Mt Holyoke had a Spring and Fall horse trials when I learned to ride there. This was in the 70's.

Genesee Valley HT is still around and now has a Spring and Fall HT

Cayuga used to be called Poppycock if my memory is correct or maybe there were two HT near Ithaca.

Also Vershire School used to have a HT

Mary in western NY
http://www.BPEquine.com

jane20008
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
A few Area VIII events that were a great time in the '70s:

Northern Ohio
Merestead Farm HT (John and Lee Beese)
Godspeed Farm HT (Cal Huge)
Oakwood Farm HT (Hudson PC - now defunct, I think)

Southern Ohio
Miami Valley HT

Western PA
Saxonburg HT (Buzz Moriarty)
Dutch Fork HT (Jim Ashton)
One at the Mellon's in Ligonier--Westmoreland/Rolling Rock Hunt PC, maybe?
Lost Hounds PC HT (Erie Hunt and Saddle Club?)

Others
Whidbey Island 3 day in WA
Radnor 3-day in PA

It's been fun conjuring up the names of these personalities and their venues!

kerlin
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:19 PM
I don't have any kind of institutional memory, alas, but I AM a professional historian/archivist. I'd be happy to lend my time and expertise to the effort.

There is precedent for museums/archives to exist almost entirely online. If grant money could be procured for the actual, physical archival side of things to be housed at USEA, I imagine we could locate an archival intern from a local library school to put in a few hours a week to process incoming materials. It would take some time and thought at the beginning to set up a structure, but once that's done it'll be fairly straightforward.

Once the archive itself is organized, a strong web presence would help to recruit more information and to make people aware of the project. It would be really neat to also have a section in which people can submit their own information - photographs, etc.

Perhaps, as was suggested, an oral history component? Who wouldn't want to download a podcast reminiscing about a famous event horse, or a particular rider or event?

Would the next step be to organize some sort of volunteer committee to write a proposal and structure?

denny
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:23 PM
Kerlin, when you talk about grant money, what general dollar amount are you thinking for such a project as this?

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:34 PM
If this actually gets going, I'll be happy to contact Marilyn Mackay-Smith and see what she has to contribute, or maybe even an oral history from her. She is so much fun to converse with, and I'm sure has tons of photos. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see where things go and how I might be able to help.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:49 PM
One I used to love a lower level event was Middleton Place in SC, Ft. Bragg (I rode at the last event held there), on a more "local" level Six Pillar Farm in Vass, Longleaf in S.Pines (my first ever event was there) and Lochill Farm in Hillsborough, NC. Lochill was run by the Goslings back in the 70's then it "died" until I "resurrected it in the 90's with John and Cece Daly that run Lochill. I ran the HT for a few years (went thru Training) then handed over to Orange county 4-H, but it is now gone by the wayside. Also used to love the Sedgefield HT in Greensboro, NC. There are a few I remember attending but don't recall the names or exact venues!

CookiePony
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:49 PM
kerlin, I'm so pleased that you can work on this! You are an archivist? I know it sounds like a cop-out, but I am working on tenure and cannot make a sustained or extensive time commitment to this project. I would, however, be happy to give input on a committee, perhaps led by you?

I am all for an online presence as long as the physical materials are safe and secure in one location.

denny
Jan. 10, 2010, 06:57 PM
If we can get the blessing of Jo Whitehouse and Kevin Baumgardner, it would make things easier. Any insiders willing to call them?

tarheelmd07
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:06 PM
I'll add Silk Hope (SC) and MCTA at Jackson's Hole (MD) - MCTA is still running, but moved to a new location.

carrie_girl
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:21 PM
There also used to be Silk Purse in Las vegas, NV. I remember their indoor (used for prelim and up dressage) was called "The Pit". It was aptly named, and the scores reflected it. The XC course was on some sort of public park.

Also, it was before my time, but I fell in love with the sport watching Pio Pico horse trials as a D-1 pony clubber. Unfortunately by the time I was old enough to compete (mid 80's) it was no longer.

Someone has already mentioned Showpark, my first event. I know Robert Kellerhouse was very involved in running that one in the 90's. I believe he is now involved with Galway Downs

kerlin
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:01 PM
CookiePony, I currently work as a research archivist and have done everything from physical processing to digital collections and am in grad school for history and museum studies. So, a little bit of everything. :) I'd be happy to work on or head up a committee to advise on the project. I'll send you a PM.

denny, in terms of money, it would really depend on the scale of the project. If we're talking a simple, small room with archived photographs and records and some very basic climate control, that would really only be the cost of the shelving and archival materials - which, again, is according to scale. See the Hollinger company for archival material prices: http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/.

For an online presence we'd need some kind of archiving software as well as a substantial amount of website space. So money for that as well, again according to scale.

If it's going to be housed at the USEA there would need to be some kind of workspace in the room as well, both for an intern (or someone) to process the collection as well as any visiting scholars. (Who knows!) So - a computer, desk, etc.

If we're looking outside for grant money, it would be up to us to put together a good proposal and ask for a specific amount, or seek out a grant that offers that amount. If we're working from within the USEA and can access sponsors for money, we'd still need to present a good, working plan.

I can't get a picture on how much material we would need to house/digitize, which would be the real key to the numbers game. Hundreds of photographs, records, etc? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Any objects - trophies, etc? Maybe we could work up some survey numbers starting out of this forum - who has material they would like to donate, who's willing to contribute oral histories, and what does the USEA already have?

Duramax
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:08 PM
The longest running event in Area III was the Midland Horse Trials, going for 30 years until it's end several years ago.

I went to the very last one. :sadsmile: They gave out cute bumper stickers that said "We didn't get rich, we just got old. So Midland Trials will have to fold!" I still have it too!

Duramax
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:12 PM
One I used to love a lower level event was Middleton Place in SC,

Middleton was a blast! :yes: I loved jumping stadium by the big house!

PhoenixFarm
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:32 PM
There also used to be Silk Purse in Las vegas, NV. I remember their indoor (used for prelim and up dressage) was called "The Pit". It was aptly named, and the scores reflected it. The XC course was on some sort of public park.

I competed at Silk Purse as a YR back when they didn't have a one-star competition at the NAYJRC. If you weren't riding at the two star level, they had these regional preliminary horse trial competitions, one in the east, and one in the west. The western one was at silk purse in like maybe 90/91?

I didn't ride in the indoor, but I remember that the dust was so thick and coating and choking you had to turn on your windshield wipers to drive down the driveway, and we all stopped brushing our horses and cleaning our tack because there was just. no. point.

I also remember a well-intentioned and hilariously bad performance on Saturday night of "Lippizaners" but was really Percherons being ridden with bits and spurs so big ANY horse would have been able to do high school movements in them.

The course was beautiful, and very much part of the natural landscape. I loved it, even if my craptastic perfromance there solidified my decision to sell my horse as he wasn't really cut out for the upper levels.:uhoh::rolleyes: I did finish though, and the pics are still some of my favorite.

It was a great trip!

CookiePony
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
Well, I am a geek so I just spent some very enjoyable time perusing the 1979-1994 results archives on the USEA site and noting events that aren't around anymore. I combined them with the list of what people have mentioned here. (ETA: kerlin, I sent you an email :))

Area I
Caumsett Equestrian Center, West Babylon, NY
Cayuga, (also Poppycock?) NY
Doornhof Farm, Shaftsbury, VT (Janet and Henry Schurink)
Foxbrush Farm, near Concord, NH (Sheila and Jack Carlson)
Flying Horse Farm Three Day, Hamilton, MA (John and Dianne Pingree )
Goldens Bridge Hounds Junior Training HT, CT
Glastonbury PC, CT
High Pastures, Boxboro, MA (Roberts family)
Lake Placid, NY
Ledyard Farm, So. Hamilton, MA (Helen and Neil Ayer)
Meadowbrook Hounds Pony Club, NY
Monadnock, NH
Mount Holyoke, MA
Over the Walls, MA. (Torrance Watkins)
Pembury House, MA
Pemi Valley, NH
Puckerbrush, Dixmont, ME, (Grey family)
Red Horse
Rhine Valley, NY
Senator Bell, NH
Shepley Hill, Groton,MA, (Sister and Albert Gould)
Vershire, VT
Will-O-View, Arkport, NY (Dick and Donna LaValle)
Your Father`s Moustache, CT (Alynn (sp?) Schiavone)

Area II
Banbury Cross, MD
Blue Ridge, Boyce, VA (Trish Gilbert)
Camp Olympic/ Olympia, Rockville, MD (Benedek family)
Chesterland , Unionville, PA (Davidson family)
Essex Three-Day Event, Gladstone, NJ
Elysian Hills , Marshall, VA
Fort Bragg, NC
Green Springs Valley, Glyndon, MD (Peter and Linda Green)
Hilltop Farm, NJ
Little River, Pinehurst/ Southern Pines, NC
Lochill Farm, Hillsboro, NC (Gosling and Daly families)
Mar Hill, Phoenixville, PA
Menfelt, VA
Middletown, DE
Radnor Three Day, PA
Pleasant Hollow, PA (Jane Cory)
Sedgefield, Greensboro, NC
Ships Quarters, Westminster, MD (Sally Robertson)
Six Pillar Farm, Vass, NC
Slow Journey, Gordonsville, VA
Somerset Hills, Gladstone, NJ
St George`s Quarters, NC
Walthour-Moss Foundation, Southern Pines, NC
Weave-a-Dream HT, MD
Whilton Farm, where?
Wit's End, Jackson, NJ (Yolanda Mazzarisi)
Yadkin Valley, NC

Area III
Basingstoke Farms, Old Town, FL
Canterbury, Newberry, FL
Flat Creek, Hogansville, GA (Joan Keegan)
Fox Hall, Douglasville, GA (Jim Richards)
Hopeland, Aiken, SC
Immokalee, FL
Jumping Branch, Aiken, SC (Julie Zapapas)
Middleton Place, Charleston, SC
Mid-Florida Pony Club, Altoona, FL
Midland (Hart and Foley families; Ben Hardaway)
North Georgia International, Chatsworth, GA (Bouckaert family)
Patchwork Farm (Dr. Chauncey and Pat Thuss) Birmingham, AL
Penrose Farm, Knoxville, TN
Silk Hope, SC
Sharpton (at Rocking Horse), Altoona, FL
Stonesthrow
Suncatcher, McIntosh, FL (Wishard Family)
Suwanne Downs (where?)
Timber Acres Ranch, Buhl, AL (Dr. Bob and Peg Whitehurst)
TMI Academy, Sweetwater, TN
Valhalla, Wellborn, FL (Brinkman family)

Area IV
High Meadows, Vienna, IL
Meadowlark PC, Wichita, KS
Red Brush Farm, Wichita, KS
St James Farm, IL

Area V
Camino Real Three Day, TX
El Paso, TX
Prairie Creek Ranch, Pittsburg, TX
Tipasa, Norman, OK

Area VI
CMDTRA (stands for?), Concord, CA
Pebble Beach HT, CA
Santa Fe Hunt, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Showpark, San Diego CA
Silver Lining, CA
Wild Horse Valley Ranch, Napa CA

Area VII
Bainbridge Island, WA
Camas Meadows, Yelm, WA
Deep Creek Horse Trials, WA
Far Hill Farm, Sherwood, OR
Freeman Farms, Molalla, OR
Lily Glen, Ashland/Medford, OR
Tricities, Richland, WA

Area VIII
Bath, OH (Firestone family)
Bluegrass, Lexington, KY
Dutch Fork HT , PA (Jim Ashton)
Godspeed Farm HT, PA (Cal Huge)
Oakwood Farm HT, PA (Hudson PC )
Merestead Farm HT, PA (John and Lee Beese)
Miami Valley HT, OH
Mumford Farms, IN
New Britton Hunt HT, Zionsville, IN
Saxonburg HT, PA (Buzz Moriarty)
Rolling Rock Hunt PC, Ligonier, PA (Mellon family)

Area IX
Beebe Draw, La Salle, CO
Eagle Fall Festival, ID
Fox Ranch, Walden, CO
Hart Ranch, Deadwood, SD
Jackson Hole, WY
Pegasus Event Center, Grantsville, UT
Zephyr Ranch, Spanish Fork, UT

Area X
Brusally, AZ
Diamond L, Las Vegas, NM
Flying Fox, AZ
Phoenix International HT, AZ ?
Silk Purse Ranch, NV
Trojan Horse Ranch, Scottsdale/ Cave Creek, AZ (SWEAT/ Andrew Popeil)

Canada
Rose Hill/ Canadian championships, ON
Chase Creek, BC
Long House, BC

tuppysmom
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:13 PM
Jackson Hole (WY) is missing from the area VII list as is Eagle Fall Festival (ID)

CookiePony
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
Jackson Hole (WY) is missing from the area VII list as is Eagle Fall Festival (ID)

Fixed! Added to area IX (I think that's what you meant).

poltroon
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
Someone has already mentioned Showpark, my first event. I know Robert Kellerhouse was very involved in running that one in the 90's. I believe he is now involved with Galway Downs

The Showpark event turned into Galway Downs.

canterlope
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:45 AM
If we can get the blessing of Jo Whitehouse and Kevin Baumgardner, it would make things easier. Any insiders willing to call them?Denny, I'll be talking to both of them sometime this week. What exactly do I need to ask for in terms of a blessing?

tidymary
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:17 AM
Denny's proposal instantly reminded me of the New England Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org.
They have been collecting info on their website for 11 years. Although I am not enamored of their layout, their website may give you some ideas for this concept of gathering info about events and places that remain only in people's memories.

denny
Jan. 11, 2010, 07:42 AM
Most of us who compete have from time to time sat around and said something like, "Hey, remember that big Weldon`s Wall at Ledyard? Was that the scariest thing you ever saw, or what?"

I just think that good memories can enrich the lives of those who once did something special, and memories fade. Also, the new riders coming along ought to know where we came from, not just from some dry, historical perspective, but because we created the sport they now have. It`s a living chain, so to speak, and they are now part of that chain.

In fact, the current, active events, as this thread shows so clearly, may someday also be gone, so I think the best time to archive something is now, not after it`s some faded ribbon on a tackroom wall, or some old Captain Edgar video on a dusty shelf.

So I think this is FOR us who remember, and also for those coming along. And it`s time to get at it, if we`re going to do it, while there are still people who can remember what those old events were like.

FRM
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:00 AM
I went to the very last one. :sadsmile: They gave out cute bumper stickers that said "We didn't get rich, we just got old. So Midland Trials will have to fold!" I still have it too!

That was in response to some whiners the previous year who spent the weekend complaining that the Hardaways were getting rich off the event. After course design and building, stabling repair, expenses for officials, jump judge lunches and a myriad of expenses I think the net profit that year was something like $15.

OhMissLibrarian
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:32 AM
Cookie Pony,
Wits End (in Area II) was in Jackson, NJ, and the owner/organizer was Yolanda Mazzarisi

denny
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:48 AM
By the "blessing" of Jo, Kevin, USEA Bd of Govs, it wouldn`t be my thought to ask them for either money or manpower. If this project gets done it should be by eventers, for eventers.

But the question then arises, where should it live? The logical answer is at the USEA, either on its website, or physically somewhere, if that`s even possible.

Or I suppose this could be an interactive site on Facebook, say, where riders could share their memories and experiences, even photos.

I`m not the professional that some of you are, but I`ll help with what I can.

curlykarot
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:55 AM
Weave-a-Dream HT, MD
Menfelt, MD (Dale Clabaugh)
Banberry Cross (?) MD

Carol Ames
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:25 AM
Glastonbury, CT; I have no idea who, organized:no: it, or, precisely where it :confused:was , I rode it as a "refugee from hunter- jumper land, in Greenwich:lol: in c. 1977, the same year Seattle slew won the Triple Crown, as a "refugee from hunter- jumper land, in Greenwich:lol:

Janet
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
Area II
Commonwealth Three Day, Great Meadow, VA
I am not sure what you mean by this.

CDCTA ran a TWO Day at Great Meadow for a couple of years, in conjuntion with the CDCTA HT, but never ran a THREE Day, and the HT is still going.

We started at Commonweath Park, then moved to Great Meadow, then to the current location in Culpeper.

Janet
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:15 AM
Glastonbury, CT; I have no idea who, organized:no: it, or, precisely where it :confused:was , I rode it as a "refugee from hunter- jumper land, in Greenwich:lol: in c. 1977, the same year Seattle slew won the Triple Crown, as a "refugee from hunter- jumper land, in Greenwich:lol:
I would guess it was run by the Glastonbury Pony Club, but I could be wrong.

Janet
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:16 AM
Camp Olympic in Area II.

CookiePony
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
But the question then arises, where should it live? The logical answer is at the USEA, either on its website, or physically somewhere, if that`s even possible.

Yes, I think you'd be asking them if they could house the collection somehow. I'm sure the USEA office already houses archives anyway, but this might require its own room or closet, plus workspace for a volunteer.

CookiePony
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you folks who have added more to the list. I've amended it.

Janet, where was Camp Olympic (city, state)? (ETA- is it the one in MD?)

I am not sure what you mean by this.

CDCTA ran a TWO Day at Great Meadow for a couple of years, in conjuntion with the CDCTA HT, but never ran a THREE Day, and the HT is still going.

In 2000 or 2001, I groomed at a full-format CCI* and CCI** at Great Meadow. I very distinctly remember walking Phases A-C with my rider. IIRC, it was called "Commonwealth." Anyone else remember this?

IFG
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
I am pretty sure that Glastonbury was run by the PC.

On LI, when there was eventing on NR:

Meadowbrook Hounds Pony Club event (run by the PC),

and the

Caumsett Equestrian Center (I rode there 1985-87). Not sure who ran it.

Janet
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thank you folks who have added more to the list. I've amended it.

Janet, where was Camp Olympic (city, state)? (ETA- is it the one in MD?)
Yes. MD.

In 2000 or 2001, I groomed at a full-format CCI* and CCI** at Great Meadow. I very distinctly remember walking Phases A-C with my rider. IIRC, it was called "Commonwealth." Anyone else remember this?

It was "full format" (roads and tracks, steeplechase, roads and tracks, cross country). But was primarily run as a National (USEF/USCTA, not FEI) Two Day (Show Jumping before X County). I think we ran under FEI one year.

But that isn't the point I was making.

This thread is about competitions/ organizers that are no longer on the calendar, not about changes in the levels offered.

The Commonwealth Dressage and Combined Training Association is STILL putting on HT, just not offering that level.

CookiePony
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:06 AM
Denny, I'll be talking to both of them sometime this week. What exactly do I need to ask for in terms of a blessing?

If you talk to them about this, will you tell that that there are three members who are historians and/or archivists by trade who are willing to help?

As I said in a post above, the main need is space at this point-- to house the archives and to allow a volunteer archivist to work.

Janet
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:15 AM
Goldens Bridge Hounds (the Hunt, not the Pony Club) put on a Junior Training Horse Trial in 1971- the first year Training level was recognized IIRC.

I do not know if they only did it once, or if they did it for several years.

CookiePony
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:16 AM
This thread is about competitions/ organizers that are no longer on the calendar, not about changes in the levels offered.

The Commonwealth Dressage and Combined Training Association is STILL putting on HT, just not offering that level.

OK, I found the date of the CCI*/** I was at (and yes, it was FEI)-- May 2001. Here is a reference to it on Phyllis Dawson's webpage: http://www.teamwindchase.com/wcnewsarc4.htm

Was that three day run by CDCTA? If so, was it run outside of your usual spring and fall HTs, thereby making a separate event? There were no other levels offered, just the FEI divisions.

Janet
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:24 AM
OK, I found the date of the CCI*/** I was at (and yes, it was FEI)-- May 2001. Here is a reference to it on Phyllis Dawson's webpage: http://www.teamwindchase.com/wcnewsarc4.htm

Was that three day run by CDCTA? If so, was it run outside of your usual spring and fall HTs, thereby making a separate event? There were no other levels offered, just the FEI divisions.

Yes, run by CDCTA. Some years we ran regular HT divisions the same weekend, other years we didn't. In those days "Memorial Day Weekend" was our usual HT date, so it was part of our regular spring/fall schedule, not a "separate event".

CookiePony
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:25 AM
Janet- OK, I will take it off the list. I was thinking of the one year that it did indeed run as an FEI three-day, but it does not count as an extinct event.

Atigirl
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:27 AM
Area VII
Equestian Institute still organizes an event, but it is now at Donida. Whidbey Island PC has held an event every year on Whidbey Island, but has had site changes. In the good old days it was actually held on the naval base.

A few to add to the completely gone list is Camas Meadows, Bainbridge Island and there was one in the 80's in Richland, WA (tricities).

IFG
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:44 AM
Nearly forgot. In NJ, a lovely event at Hilltop Farm.

Sorry, I do not remember the organizer, but I won a division of Novice there in 1988 (I think that was the year).

Do you also have Rhine Valley in Rhinebeck?

SnoopyDo
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

The USEA is working on a project similar to this. We are trying to get funding to create a digital online archive of our entire collection of EventingUSA and the old USCTA News. We have copies of every issue since 1962. In addition we have every copy of the Omnibus as well. By digitizing the old magazines it would enable USEA members to search for a particular old event and pull up results or articles that existed about the events.

The USEA was hoping to accomplish this project for our 50th anniversary, but the funding was not available. If anyone is interested in the project feel free to contact me at Leslie@useventing.com.

The USEA office (near Morven Park in Leesburg, VA) is open to the public so feel free to come in and peruse the old magazines and our extensive library if you are ever in the area!

Also - if you are ever in search of results from old events remember that they are available on the USEA site under the competitions tab then calendar, omnibus, and results. Then look on the right hand side under Archive. Or just click here (http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?section=calendar&id=1821).

Carol Ames
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:25 PM
Mumford, Evansville, IN. Marcia Bryant;):cool:

Carol Ames
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
JFS, What was the name of the event near Dayton, held in the heat:oof the summer:eek:; which had on on its' prelim course,, the "cross ys' question :eek:which, eliminated 23 of 24:mad: horses? I think I just remembered was it Masterson Station:confused:?

Carol Ames
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:40 PM
Wasn't it t called Middleburg 3de? The first cdcta ht was at Commonwealth Park:yes:; Janet Gunn and I served on the organizing committee:cool:

Carol Ames
Jan. 11, 2010, 08:44 PM
It was at Great Meadow ;)in The Plains, run by CDCTA. Some years we ran regular HT divisions the same weekend, other years we didn't. In those days "Memorial Day Weekend" was our usual HT date, so it was part of our regular spring/fall schedule, not a "separate event". ________

kerlin
Jan. 12, 2010, 09:47 AM
I wanted to bump this thread up by saying that a group of us who are professional historians/archivists/librarians are talking further about this project and exploring ways to go ahead. If there are any other eventers out there with this kind of experience, please PM me or CookiePony.

SLR
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
Stillwater and Hearthstone in Area VIII Urbana, OH run by the Bauer Family.

GreyDun
Jan. 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
Yes, I think you'd be asking them if they could house the collection somehow. I'm sure the USEA office already houses archives anyway, but this might require its own room or closet, plus workspace for a volunteer.

Hey guys - I just wanted to reiterate what Leslie posted yesterday. The USEA is already exploring the possibility of online archives. This would require NO volunteer effort/research - only dollars.

I would hate for there to be a huge volunteer effort put into this when it's something we're already hoping to do. Please contact us (Leslie (mailto:Leslie@useventing.com), Emily (mailto:Emily@useventing.com), or Josh (mailto:Josh@useventing.com)) at the USEA and we'll tell you all about it. It's a pretty amazing tool - searchable, savable, sendable online records of the entire USEA history. We would be so pleased to have more support of this exciting venture! We're going to be getting some samples soon and would love to share it with you all.

scavenger
Jan. 12, 2010, 11:18 AM
Who could forget or remembers Hillview Farm run by Ralph Hill's parents. It was one of the few close enough for me to affors to get to back in the day of borrowing trailers and bumming rides

canterlope
Jan. 15, 2010, 02:44 AM
I talked to Jo and Kevin about this project. They would be more than happy to help with this project and ask that interested parties contact Leslie, Emily, or Josh at the National Headquarters (Please see GreyDun's earlier post for contact information).