PDA

View Full Version : Winter Clinics with ICP Level 3 Instructor Mogie Bearden Muller

retreadeventer
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:22 AM
As long as everyone else is promoting clinics, I'll add Mogie's dates to the calendar:

She is returning from Aiken to teach once a month in the Maryland/Delaware area, latest dates are Jan. 16-17 (Worton, MD and possibly Dover, DE area), and Feb. 20-21 so far.

Her rates are extremely reasonable and we usually have a minimal ($15 or $20) arena fee. Most of the time we will be doing the clinics in local indoor arenas selected for decent footing, and involve both jumping and dressage. Just PM for details.

Those who ride with Mogie know how great her lessons are. Her knowledge base is very deep and her teaching is gentle yet you learn a lot! Basics but fun exercises, always something different. No lesson is the same! There is a huge advantage to ride with someone who rides consistently at the Advanced level and has the background, with a Level 3 certification, to move you up the levels so that you are prepared for anything they throw at you at the events.

Dr. Doolittle
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
Damn, I would *so* love to ride with Mogie!

My only problem is that A) my mare is just coming back into regular work, and B) wow, it would be SO great if she were to be coming to a venue closer to Northern VA (most of these places in MD are about 90 minutes away; and the weather had been reliably miserable in our part of the world for about 6 weeks in a row now...:( I realize that I am being a kvetcher here, BUT!...) I rode in a Boyd Martin clinic in December of '08, and it was at a farm in MD--about an hour and a half drive from my barn in Northen VA. As great as it was, DURING the clinic, it started to SNOW--so we had to drive the rig home in the snow. It took about 2 1/2 hours (luckily my cranky saint of a husband was driving, while we took an alternate route, which took us down 270 at 8 PM on a Saturday night), but this is not an experience I would like to repeat; It just was really *not* worth it, despite how delightful Boyd was. :sigh:

How I HATE and DESPISE winter! :mad:

If anyone attends this clinic, I would *love* to hear a report. I have tremendous respect for Mogie--she is the bomb, and I would love to be able to take advantage of her wisdom in a clinic setting ;) I walked the Loch Moy Prelim x-country course with her about a year and a half ago, and she was so knowledgeable and helpful. I would highly recommend trying to ride with and learn from her!)

Jleegriffith
Jan. 9, 2010, 10:35 AM
She is an excellent instructor and well worth the drive. Those of us in Delaware and the Eastern Shore were sorely lacking good eventing instructors! I ride such a variety of horses who are all so different and she is fantastic about giving you lots of different approaches to address each horse. I love that she has so many ways of fixing an issue as it has really added to my toolbox! She also never hesitates to get on and show you something or just to get on to feel what types of issues you may be having. It can really help me to watch someone fixing an issue if I can not get my mind around the words.

I am in the middle of building my riding ring so extra funds are hard to come by at the moment:sadsmile:

wookie
Jan. 10, 2010, 05:59 AM
i totally agree with the above. she is just 15 minutes from me. i use to see this lady on a grey horse riding a horse beautifully on my way home from the night shift. and since the eastern shore is a relatively small world. i convinced my friend we should just pop in and introduce ourselves. we did and lo and behold it was mogie. this was 2 yrs ago. she is awesome. spoke with her tonight and aiken is brrr cold but she is very busy. can't wait for a fix next weekend. i scheduled myself both sat and sun with her. then off to aiken for 3 wks in feb. yippee!!!

retreadeventer
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:15 PM
Wookie, I HATE you. I would give my left arm to go to Aiken for three weeks. Whine, whine, whine and pass that cheese with it please! :) I think I need to start a foundation for ME to go to Aiken. Good idea, huh?
Hope to see you this weekend then. Riding Red Horse, Rug on shelf...sigh.....

Firefox
Jan. 10, 2010, 09:52 PM
Looking forward to Sat and maybe Sunday if hunting doesnt happen like all of this year since opening hunt for Sundays!

retreadeventer
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
I know! MORE whine and cheese about hunting! :( But we are not alone. I hear other hunts have the same problem....

RunForIt
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
I am hoping to meet and chat with Mogie while she is in Aiken...love how she rides and thinks and trains. You are all very lucky to have her to help you most of the year!!! Have fun! :cool:

wookie
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:08 AM
well retread....i really shouldn't be going considering i am still paying off riley's bowel surgery...my new ottb. but he has healed and everytime i ride him i thank god i chose debt over that freakin pink syringe. even when he is bratty. couldn't even trot tonight because he was having those moments. if i had all the $$ in the world i would rescue endless ottb and more pups from the pound. as is i have 4 pound pups and two horses. but i digress...mogie literally gave me flat lessons last year at full gallop that had people stopping in their tracks because they didn't know pip could move like that or that i could look like i knew what i was doing. LITERALLY they commented on it left and right. now if my brain could only absorb everything she teaches but i am getting up there and well...

RunForIt
Jan. 12, 2010, 07:39 AM
Holly, if you get a chance, would you try to get some video of the clinic...and do some of your great analysis and summaries of the stuff Mogie does, maybe at each level? Hey, you DID say you'd help me out while I'm recuperating!!! Ha! :D :cool: