PDA

View Full Version : New Rules?

WishIWereRiding
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:13 PM
Are there any new rules or rule changes for 2010 that we should know about? I looked online but couldn't find anything.

retreadeventer
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
Janet has a link she goes to on the USEF site that has new rules on it. I think it might only be available to officials but sometimes it seems public.
I'll check to see if I can quickly find it on the website.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
We haven't changed the "jumping from a standstill" thing in a while. It is about due. :winkgrin:

retreadeventer
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:41 PM
OMG!!!! [blinking eyes]
Where are the lawyers and PhD's....I cannot make sense out of the qualifications change......I think if you just make it around cross country a few times without any stops you are like probably qualified but I would not swear to it on a stack of bibles anytime soon after reading THAT set of paragraphs.... English is my native language, but gutslk woeiru sir/the m... slirh!!!!

http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBook/RuleProposals/PRCChater.aspx?chapter=EV

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:03 PM
We haven't changed the "jumping from a standstill" thing in a while. It is about due. :winkgrin:

Whats the rule? I have read the rule book and dont recall seeing anything about this

LAZ
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:11 PM
Whats the rule? I have read the rule book and dont recall seeing anything about this

One of my absolute biggest pet peeves. If you're going to compete, download and read the rulebook. It is YOUR responsibility, as a competitor, to know the rules in the sport you are competing in.

It's free, it's available, it has good and even useful information.

Just don't read it in bed, you'll never finish....

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:14 PM
One of my absolute biggest pet peeves. If you're going to compete, download and read the rulebook. It is YOUR responsibility, as a competitor, to know the rules in the sport you are competing in.

Umm... as stated above.. I did read it! All I said was I dont recall reading anything about it.

LAZ
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:18 PM
Umm... as stated above.. I did read it! All I said was I dont recall reading anything about it.

It is in the rulebook. And as Gry2Yng says (albiet tongue in cheek), it changes often enough to acquaint yourself with that part of the book.

VicariousRider
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:28 PM
YIKES! Rescue seems to be trying to become better informed. It IS possible to miss something in a rulebook. If you, LAZ, are so peeved by a lack of awareness about the rules maybe you should be so generous as to share your knowledge! Sheesh!

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:32 PM
YIKES! Rescue seems to be trying to become better informed. It IS possible to miss something in a rulebook. If you, LAZ, are so peeved by a lack of awareness about the rules maybe you should be so generous as to share your knowledge! Sheesh!

its okay... i am looking it up.

VicariousRider
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:49 PM
its okay... i am looking it up.

It's great to look it up and I FIRMLY believe that we should all be well informed competitors.

BUT

IMO, in a thread designed to promote awareness of rule changes through the sharing of information, comments like the ones above perpetuate ignorance by discouraging people from seeking answers or clarification. :no:

I don't speak for rescue but for myself.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:22 PM
EV142 Cross-Country—Definitions of Faults (Drawings, Appendix 7).
1. GENERAL. Faults (refusals, run-outs, circles and falls) will be penalized unless in the opinion of the responsible judge, they are clearly not connected with the negotiation or attempted negotiation of a numbered obstacle or element for the relevant competition in progress. The negotiation or attempted negotiation of an obstacle commences with the presentation of the horse to the obstacle.
2. DISOBEDIENCES (REFUSALS and RUN-OUTS) a. Refusals.
(1) At obstacles or elements with height (exceeding 30 cm), a horse is considered to have refused if it stops in front of the obstacle to be jumped. (2) At all other obstacles (i.e., 30 cm or less in height) a stop followed immediately by a standing jump is not penalized, but if the halt is sustained or in any way pro- longed, this constitutes a refusal. The horse may step sideways but if it steps back, even with one foot, this is a refusal.

Penalties for "a standing jump" have come and gone. The time dimension is kind of a fuzzy one for me, but IIRC a standing jump was allowed, then not, then allowed again within about a 5 year period. I like to double check that one every year cause I can never remember where the wheel finally stopped.

LAZ
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:40 PM
It's great to look it up and I FIRMLY believe that we should all be well informed competitors.

BUT

IMO, in a thread designed to promote awareness of rule changes through the sharing of information, comments like the ones above perpetuate ignorance by discouraging people from seeking answers or clarification. :no:

I don't speak for rescue but for myself.

So, if you need to prove a rule to a TD at a show do you say. It's OK, LAZ from the COTH boards said so? Much better to be able to find the pertinent rule & point it out.

My stance is not to be ungenerous--if someone says "I've read this rule and I'm not sure it's the right one that is entirely a different matter, and shows effort on the part of the askee.

It's all about personal responsibility, IMO.

But then, once I got to a certain age my parents would hand me the dictionary when I didn't know a word, have me look it up, spell it, and use it in a sentence. I bless them regularly for this seemingly (at the time) meanness.

shea'smom
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:18 PM
So Laz, you quote RR9 as having read the rule book, and use them as an example of your pet peeve of people not reading the rule book? Have I got that right? Just trying to read for comprehension.

LAZ
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:43 PM
So Laz, you quote RR9 as having read the rule book, and use them as an example of your pet peeve of people not reading the rule book? Have I got that right? Just trying to read for comprehension.

Yeah, comes off a bit vague, doesn't it? However--my position is that if one actually LOOKs for the rule, it is there (Gry was able to readily locate it). Kinda like a kid opening a refridgerator
and saying "mom, where's the milk?". Sometimes you need to look a little harder....

RR9 seems to be a bright, enterprising
YR and persistence and thoroughness is part of becoming
a successful rider/competitor.

saje
Jan. 8, 2010, 04:41 AM
Here you go, there aren't many changes, apparently:

2010 Rules (http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBook/2010.aspx) (As you read the pdf the rule changes appear in red)

Rule Changes (http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBook/ruleChanges.aspx) (Search for Chapter EV - Eventing division for Eventing-specific changes)

Remember rules come from the USEF, not USEA.

WishIWereRiding
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:51 AM
Here you go, there aren't many changes, apparently:

2010 Rules (http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBook/2010.aspx) (As you read the pdf the rule changes appear in red)

Rule Changes (http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBook/ruleChanges.aspx) (Search for Chapter EV - Eventing division for Eventing-specific changes)

Remember rules come from the USEF, not USEA.

Thanks! Seems like most of the rule changes are for event organizers.

cranky
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:33 AM
Speaking of the rule book ... I paid extra when I registered for my USEA number in November in order to receive a hard copy of the rule book. Does anyone know if this typically takes a good while to receive? I'm just wondering if I should try to contact someone about it.

purplnurpl
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:01 AM

even if you've read it there is chance that you misinterpreted a rule or it went right over your head.

We never have problems helping people decipher rules. That's what friends are for.

Next time just don't open the thread if you know that you will be irritated by the OP.

LAZ
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:55 AM
even if you've read it there is chance that you misinterpreted a rule or it went right over your head.

We never have problems helping people decipher rules. That's what friends are for.

Next time just don't open the thread if you know that you will be irritated by the OP.

Purp--my remarks were not to the original poster, that I have no problem with. I have no problem with someone saying "hey, I don't really understand this rule, what do you think?"

However, I do stand by my original post on this thread, which is that every competitor is ultimately responsible for knowing the rules of their sport (this one or others).

I came to this stunning conclusion by getting eliminated for any number of stupid things over the years, things that easily could have been avoided if only I had known the rules....

If, after a competitor has read the rules they need something clarified, that's fine. I've contacted the rules people many times for a clarification when I didn't really understand something.

On another note:

One of the new rule for organizers does have some bearing on competitors--in the past if the closing date was extended, so was the opening date. This meant that anyone who pulled before the NEW closing date could get a refund as well as the organizer continuing to accept entries. Now this has a modification: an organizer can take "late" entries (meaning entries after the closing date) without extending the closing date, and they can charge and additional fee for the late entry. This lets a competitor who doesn't know about the soundness of their horse/themselves wait until a week or so before the event, and it protects the organizer from losing entries at the last minute.

sch1star
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
cranky: yes, it can take awhile to get it. I haven't received mine either.

I always keep one in the truck, because in spite of having read the thing - there is always some variation on a question that I can't answer confidently off the top of my head.

nextyear
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
Kinda like a kid opening a refridgerator
and saying "mom, where's the milk?". Sometimes you need to look a little harder....

My Husband does this every day.....gets mad when i tell him to look a little harder...

Gry2Yng
Jan. 8, 2010, 05:23 PM
My Husband does this every day.....gets mad when i tell him to look a little harder...

LOL! A few weeks ago my DH SWORE they had closed the Apple/Mac store in the mall. "Honey, look a little harder." (Of course, I had to make a special trip, since he couldn't find the store. Use of the directory seemed to be out of the question.)