PDA

View Full Version : my first OTTB!

mcorbett
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:20 PM
Here she is!
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/madrugadamegan/Pom%20Pom/

We call her Pom Pom and her USEA name will eventually be Po'okela. Her JC name is Sunshine Kelly and she's a 2007 model. She's bred very similarly to my mare, Flo, on her dam side (sentiment is happy to play a part in chosing a horse, I've learned).

So far (knock on wood), she's been a super laid back, bottom of the totem-pole, follow you around the paddock, well behaved on her first hack down the road, PLEASURE!

I adopted her from South Jersy TB Rescue and Adoption (http://www.sjtbadoption.org/sjtradoption-available-horses.html).
Thoughts, suggestions, well wishes welcome...:lol:

cnvh
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:24 PM
Aww, she's a cutie!Did she have many/any starts?

dwblover
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:26 PM
Congrats! You will soon find that you never want to ride anything else!!:D

xitmom
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:28 PM
Cute, cute, cute! Best of luck with her!

SEPowell
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:30 PM
Congratulations!!! Perfect age and a beauty! I love the picture of her peeking around the tree.

xitmom
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
Wow. I hope that she inherited the durability of her dam side grandpa, Caveat. 70 starts and 50% of them in the money. So much for the breeding of 'throwaway' TBs!

mcorbett
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
She had NO starts. Too slow in her initial training I guess!

She's just a hair under 16 hands. How much have you seen a TB grow from a three year old to full grown and how long did it take? (this might warrant a whole seperate thread!). I had a QH grow an inch in her 5th year which I thought was impressive.

mcorbett
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
xitmom,

I'm hoping so too! That's actually one line she shares with my other mare who is a SUPER sound old gal with a really high pain tolerance.

caffeinated
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:33 PM
Congratulations!!!! :)

CatchMeIfUCan
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:51 PM
I got my OTTB off the track a week after he turned 3. He was 15.2. I have had him 7 years now, and he is still a whopping 15.2 :D The little ones are a blast-- he is a super fun ride because he is so compact, and he still has a ton of scope. She looks like doll! Have fun!

Catalina
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:07 PM
She's lovely; best of luck with her :D.

LKF
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:32 AM
She's a lucky girl.

Fred
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:39 AM
She's a lucky girl.

and beautiful!!!!

best of luck to both of you.

Growth? one of my first OTTB's was a majestic 15.2 when I got him off the track at 3 and when he died, aged 32, Rhett was still 15.2. But a very big horse all the same.
Another one who was 16.2 at the end of his 3 yr old year, grew to a 'good' 17h.
I ended up buying his dam, and it turns out all of her foals were slow to reach their mature height, continuing to grow 1-2" after their 3 yr old measurement.