PDA

View Full Version : Pony throws head up

Koniucha
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:10 AM
I am riding a pony for a friend. He is very cute and I feel would make a great childs pony, but he throws his head up a lot. It is very hard to do much of anything with him because of this. As much background as I know is that he is green but willing and is a western ridden horse. I am a hunter-jumper rider that is helping a barrel racing friend that buys and sells horses.

What is the best way to fix his head throwing issue?

quicksilverponies
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
Have his teeth been checked lately?. Often ponies will throw their heads if they are experiencing discomfort. I would first look at the teeth and then try some different bits - it could be that the bit is causing him some pain as well. Good luck.l

luvs2ridewbs
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:19 PM
if its not a medical/teeth/bit issue, try riding in a standing martingale so you don't get hit in the face.

ryansgirl
Jan. 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
Like others have said - make sure there isn't pain anywhere and that his teeth are okay... never hurts to have a vet check him to see if there is an issue somewhere.

My mare started throwing her head up a couple of years ago... it was a reaction due to Kissing Spines causing her a lot of pain (I knew something was wrong so I had a full exam done on her and that's when it was discovered).

Koniucha
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:24 PM
I will talk to her about getting his teeth checked. She wants me to ride him in a german martingale but I am not a fan of those. I tried it and I felt so restricted. He hated it. He throws his head alot and very high, so it seems like it could be a tooth problem

goeslikestink
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:34 PM
I am riding a pony for a friend. He is very cute and I feel would make a great childs pony, but he throws his head up a lot. It is very hard to do much of anything with him because of this. As much background as I know is that he is green but willing and is a western ridden horse. I am a hunter-jumper rider that is helping a barrel racing friend that buys and sells horses.

What is the best way to fix his head throwing issue?

i would be very careful of what you are doing with a naughty pony
and let me just give you a little tip, if the pony throws his head up what makes you think hes going to be all right for a child or to be used as a childs pony

they are half pints to you so they wont have the same strenght or knowledge

you cannot do a quick fix aas i assuming you want answers so you can work the pony so you can get a quick profit , only as with any equine it depends on what the cuase of the problem is in order for it to be corrected

also matey i want you to think wisely of whats at stake here dont be fooled in to something that might cuase you harm and big medical issues and by that i mean you -
something you sai made me look at you as you dont have your own horse and your unemployed with a 2yr old kid think deep before you commit yourself to being taken for a mug, as your mate dont care about you she/he just wants the pony to be worked so she can sell it, and then give you a small bit of dosh
shes a dealer and using quick fix methods what you think wont come into the equastion shes out for pure profit and she wants you to do the dirty work

your not insured and i bet neither is she so think wisely and look at the bigger picture in how it could enovlve others and you at a cost

and will say judging by her methods its a dealer to be missed
think long and hard and wisely dont be taken for a mug

fourmares
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:07 AM
Check his teeth, change his bit. If he's in a snaffle it may be bumping him on the top of his mouth. Try a french link or a mullen mouth. Also check your hands and seat... are you banging him in the mouth or on his back? You could use a standing martingale, but realize that it is a patch and not a fix.

Koniucha
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:08 AM
If it is a teeth issue, than he would make a great childs pony. If not, then he may not. The person that I am riding for wants to make a quick profit, not me. That is why I do not want to ride him in a german martingale like she suggested. Yes, I am unemployed with a two year old (someone is actually paying attention to me! :) so I am not pushing the issue. I am riding her horses because I want to ride and that is all I can do for now. I am watching out for myself. The reason I am asking is mostly for myself, as I would like to one day train horses.

i would be very careful of what you are doing with a naughty pony
and let me just give you a little tip, if the pony throws his head up what makes you think hes going to be all right for a child or to be used as a childs pony

they are half pints to you so they wont have the same strenght or knowledge

you cannot do a quick fix aas i assuming you want answers so you can work the pony so you can get a quick profit , only as with any equine it depends on what the cuase of the problem is in order for it to be corrected

also matey i want you to think wisely of whats at stake here dont be fooled in to something that might cuase you harm and big medical issues and by that i mean you -
something you sai made me look at you as you dont have your own horse and your unemployed with a 2yr old kid think deep before you commit yourself to being taken for a mug, as your mate dont care about you she/he just wants the pony to be worked so she can sell it, and then give you a small bit of dosh
shes a dealer and using quick fix methods what you think wont come into the equastion shes out for pure profit and she wants you to do the dirty work

your not insured and i bet neither is she so think wisely and look at the bigger picture in how it could enovlve others and you at a cost

and will say judging by her methods its a dealer to be missed
think long and hard and wisely dont be taken for a mug

SimonandGus
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:43 PM
If it is not pain related after you have checked teeth and back, check yourself. Are your hands soft? Are you jerking on him? Are you sitting to hard on his back? Are you to big and it makes him uncomfortable? If you check yourself/ get someone to watch you and make sure it is not you, then change bits, start with something low down on the harsh scale, make sure it is big enough for his mouth.

Try a something straight, he might be getting pinched, try a french link, try snaffles, and work your way around =). Some horses just have more sensitive mouths, and like different things. If he seems okay with the bit he has, it may be a behavioral problem.

He may just be trying to avoid contact because maybe his teeth or bit, but if you are convinced not, he is trying to avoid contact because he does not want to round his back and work hard, or if you pull to a jump to fit in a tighter distance, he does not want to work and is avoiding rocking back on his hocks and holding himself. Hold his face while you hack, keeping a constant feel on his mouth, a little bit heavier then you would with a well trained horse, and even when he flips his head, keep the contact and he will learn he can not evade your contact by raising his head. If you can not do a solid hack with his head set, no flicking, I suggest you do not ever put a kid on him because it can be scary for kids, however if you find an experienced pony rider you see around schooling other ponies too, this might be a good idea if you are confident in their abilities to ride. If you progress to going an entire ride, no head flipping jumping or hacking, he is ready for a smaller kid.

It would be great if you put up a video of you riding him, and a picture if his bit, and it while its in his mouth. It would help us help you solve your problem.

goeslikestink
Jan. 8, 2010, 04:23 PM
If it is a teeth issue, than he would make a great childs pony. If not, then he may not. The person that I am riding for wants to make a quick profit, not me. That is why I do not want to ride him in a german martingale like she suggested. Yes, I am unemployed with a two year old (someone is actually paying attention to me! :) so I am not pushing the issue. I am riding her horses because I want to ride and that is all I can do for now. I am watching out for myself. The reason I am asking is mostly for myself, as I would like to one day train horses.

matey----- i know exactly what you up to, that why i said what i did
listen up again your unemployed and have a 2yr old kid if anything happens to you then you have no way of paying any medical bills or what about your child not trying to put you off but there is a but

your mate is out for quick profit like i said and you said shes not riding the pony you are - your potentially putting yourself at risk ------- you have child to consider

Koniucha
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:17 PM
matey----- i know exactly what you up to, that why i said what i did
listen up again your unemployed and have a 2yr old kid if anything happens to you then you have no way of paying any medical bills or what about your child not trying to put you off but there is a but

your mate is out for quick profit like i said and you said shes not riding the pony you are - your potentially putting yourself at risk ------- you have child to consider

I know. I am slowly backing away from this situation. I have found a better setup with a previous trainer of mine, where I will get a greater benefit. I do appreciate the concern! :)