PDA

View Full Version : Cost per year?

bananas
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:47 AM
:eek: Holy moly! Having been out of the horse world for a while and having previously done it as a junior, without having to do too much adding, I've just tried to figure out what it would cost to keep/show a horse for a year, and I can't believe it's gotten this expensive! It's so outrageous that I'm afraid the fun I would have is offset by the years of guilt and remorse about spending so much. :lol:

For high quality care, good preventative maintenance, say 10 A shows, and training, what do you budget for a year? Additional cost if you go down to Florida?

Lucassb
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:35 AM
Costs are going to depend *enormously* on where you are located.

Here in my (insanely expensive) part of the world, board and training with an A show barn is easliy $2500-$3500 per month. That is without showing, *sigh* ... so I have to budget around $40k just for board/lessons/routine care.

The same arrangement where I used to live in the south would have cost a third to a half of that number.

There is also a huge difference between doing 10 A shows like, say, Saratoga, VT Summer Festival and the Hamptons vs. shipping in for a day or two to Fairfield or Gardnertown over a weekend, and working off a trailer.

Because of the above mentioned boarding costs, I do mostly the local A shows, ship myself to and from (usually just for the day, no stall) and only splurge on weeklong-adventures-with-hotels-and-stalls a few times a year (I consider those vacations, lol, and bring DH along to help justify it!!)

bananas
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
It's awful, right? I'm in the DC area. I don't think it's quite that bad, but it's close. Even if I had all the $$ in the world, I think I would feel intense guilt about spending this much. But I really really really love it and am much happier when I'm doing it...

I know, I know, cry me a river. Someone should be making a fortune being a special shrink for poor little (previously) rich girls who have normal jobs and can't justify the riding anymore. Thank god I'm single and childless, or I'm sure it would be worse.

Trixie
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:59 AM
You'll just have to adjust to do what you CAN afford. There's nothing that says you have to spend $X past the basic entries and show fees to be competitive.

The good news is that the NOVA/DC area has a ton of options, everything from a low-end self-care facility to some of the top "A" show trainers in the country, and everything in between.

We go the self-care route because we were able to rent a small farm. We haul to a trainer that shows regularly on the "A" circuit and do a couple of "A" shows and then a bunch of local shows per year. We clinic with whoever we can and consider ourselves very fortunate that the VHSA-Associate circuit has some excellent horse shows - the last jumper show I went to had Joe Fargis designing courses and I got the opportunity to compete against Katie Prudent and Nina Fout.

For me, it's just not an all-or-nothing proposition. There are ways to make it cost way, way less than a full-care boarding facility or many of us wouldn't be able to do it at all. Maybe you can find a half-lease or something to help keep costs low.

But yep, "A" shows in general are exorbitantly expensive. Certainly considerably more than they were when I was growing up.

chawley
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'm fortunate, the cost to show rated in my area isn't nearly as bad as what Lucassb described. As a working adult that shows the adult amateurs/equitation on my own horse, I elect to show at the larger local shows (rated at the state level), which are popping up everywhere. I do a couple rated shows a year now, but they are within two hours & I do all my own work. My trainer offers full service or the bare minimum, depending on your budget.

So, as others have said, you do what you can and have fun!

WorthTheWait95
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:46 PM
I'm fortunate, the cost to show rated in my area isn't nearly as bad as what Lucassb described. As a working adult that shows the adult amateurs/equitation on my own horse, I elect to show at the larger local shows (rated at the state level), which are popping up everywhere. I do a couple rated shows a year now, but they are within two hours & I do all my own work.

So, as others have said, you do what you can and have fun!

My vote is probably a bit skewed since I counted it up with the average number of horses I would take to each show when I was showing regularly.

Florida is a HUGE cost because we would rent a barn and usually have to pay board at home. The rent for a barn alone for WEF was roughly $15-30K each depending on how many people we split it with. It was a beautiful place with a house, nice arena, turn out and big stalls but that really pushes the total up! Not to mention the huge cost of basic services such as farrier/vet care in Wellington. And lets not talk about the price of hay :eek:. I don't know how folks that live in FLA year round manage it.

Go Fish
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:28 PM
I show two, most of the time. I'm on the West coast and it's very expensive out here, too. Board and training alone runs about $1500 a month per horse. I figure about $2K per horse per week at the shows. So that would be $40K a year just for 10 shows for two horses. However, I show hunters and there's a little more expense involved there. Thermal isn't really all that more expensive than most shows...we're just there longer so the expenses add up.

I really need to get down to one show horse...this is getting ridiculous.

Come Shine
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:11 PM
Wow. I'm going to share this with my DH. Things here are a bargain!

Tex Mex
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:12 PM
With a BNT in CA it's usually about $2,500/month for board, training, shoes, insurance (maybe), etc. Some places are more. For shows I always budget $2,500/week which does not include my own hotel or gas, or extra things I always seem to need like a pair of gloves, etc. I live close enough to most of the big facilities in so. cal that I don't have to get a hotel. I figured if I really wanted to have a nice A circuit hunter or eq horse and show regularly, I'd need $100K per year available to not have to be stressed or budget at all. Less than that would mean budgeting, limiting horse shows, and hoping nothing ever goes wrong.

kates93
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:44 PM
I voted 25-45K range. I'm in the PNW, I budget about 1200-1500/month for board, training, and the various miscellaneous expenses (shoes, insurance, vet, supplements, etc.). I would probably budget about 2K for a one week show, no major traveling - some shows that are popular around here are a major haul fee (Thunderbird, Thermal) so obviously opting to do one of those is going to double or triple your normal show costs for that show.