PDA

View Full Version : padded bridle for a small pony?

upnover192
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:41 AM
I've got a kid showing a small welsh this year. I know everyone's into the padded bridles right now... He's pretty typey with a smaller cute pony features. Should I go with a padded bridle or do you think non-padded would be ok? Beval has their LTD2 bridle's on sale!

SkipChange
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:21 AM
Well, I do LOVE that bridle. I got it for my jumper in the padded version for a mere $150 last year. It does darken nicely with oil, the padding remains a little lighter than the rest of the bridle (which I think looks nice). The color goes very nicely with my Beval Gladstone saddle and matches my Dover girth very well http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-021235 (oakbark).

BAC
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:45 AM
I would be careful about buying the LTD bridle. Last year several people complained about the 5/8" cheek pieces (instead of 1/2"). Hopefully they wouldn't use such wide pieces on a pony bridle, but be sure to check before buying.

Did you check JustForPonies.com?

ponymom64
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
I would be careful about buying the LTD bridle. Last year several people complained about the 5/8" cheek pieces (instead of 1/2"). Hopefully they wouldn't use such wide pieces on a pony bridle, but be sure to check before buying.

Did you check JustForPonies.com?

I got the LTD last year at the Beval sale and the wider cheek pieces don't bother me. I *do* think that they wouldn't use those on a pony bridle.

upnover192
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:08 PM
Did look at justforponies but Beval has the LTD2 on sale for $170! Hard to beat that!

Good to know about the cheek pieces. I'll look into that. My main concern is the padding will overwhelm his little head! Any more opinions?

shoponee70
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:11 PM
I do welshies too.. if it were me and it had the really fancy dished head w/ the tiny muzzle and ears, i would be affraid the padding would take away from how cute his head is w/ all that extra leather.. edgewood has a really nice narrow bridle that they make in the shetland / small pony head.. bobbys also makes one. i have a bobbys for my half welsh thats fancy st. and padded.. hes got a very typey head.. and I wish i'd gotten the narrow ( hes a dark bayw/ some chrome on his head ) i think it would distract from his head less. .

just my oppinon.. i also think the quality of the the beval leather has gone down while the cost has not.. i know the princeton bridelwork used to be decent and now its like junk. IMO.

ponymom64
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:15 PM
I have always used the Gladstone on my ponies - I like the way it looks on ponies of all sizes...

upnover192
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:56 PM
Yep, he has a pretty refined welsh head. Typical Sleight of Hand dapple grey with little ears and tiny nose. I don't want a bridle that will be too much for that.

i heard the same about the quality level of bevals going down a bit. They're so pretty though! :D unfortunately the gladstone is a bit out of their price range. They're thinking under $200.

Is Aramas a better bridle then the LTD2? Found some on sale under $200.

BAC
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:23 PM
Is Aramas a better bridle then the LTD2? Found some on sale under $200.

Aramas makes a very nice bridle, I think it is excellent value for the money and would definitely recommend it over the LTD2.

Rhody Ram
Jan. 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
Aramas is nicer than the LTD2, pick one up if you have the chance.