PDA

View Full Version : Update - Anyone have chaps by HORSEMEN'S LTD? Best half-chaps - (not Ariat)

LDavis104
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:08 AM
Update - my local tack shop recommended Randy with HORSEMEN'S LTD in Rehoboth MA for nice custom chaps - any New Englanders use him before? A call to Journeyman and trip to Dover are also on the agenda :)

I've gone through two pairs of Ariat half chaps in two years, and the zipper busted on mine last night. I could just get the zipper replaced but I've worn holes in them too.

So no more Ariats.

What is the best high quality half chap? I like them really fitted, and the spanish-type top (doesn't have to go really high, but just not straight across the whole way around). My husband keeps saying I can get awesome customs for $150 - but I tell him maybe only where HE'S from!

Sparky Boy
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:25 AM
I really like the treadstep half chaps.

Hunter Princess
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:34 AM
Another vote for the Tredsteps-I love my Deluxes. If they didn't have the zipper down the side, I would say they almost look better than my tall boots haha. Anyway, I've had mine for just around 6 months and abuse them, but they still look great.

BeastieSlave
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:54 AM
I love my Tredsteps, but I really love my Grand Prix chaps. They're decadent :winkgrin: (unfortunately they're a tad too big these days)
My daughters both have Prochaps and they're great.

Elementgrl2
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:16 AM
Love my Grand Prixs too...

upnover192
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:45 AM
The grand prixs are lovely, but I find the patch in the middle of the calf is the first to start ripping. My vote is for Tredsteps! They have some great models.

alteringwego
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:56 AM
these: http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet/the-929/Grand-Prix-Leather-Half/Detail

or

these: http://pinnellcustomleather.com/#p7GPc1_10

SkipChange
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:14 AM
Ok used to be a tredstep fan. Me and one friend were the tredstep trendsetters at our barn. They looked so nice, my trainer even let me wear them in A rated jumpers while I was breaking in my tall boots. But the leather really isn't all that. Mine are falling apart (it has been 3 years).

She recently bought Riding Sport Leather Contrast Half Chaps and goodness! They are fabulous!!!! Zipper is covered by a flap unlike the Tredstep's so you do lose a bit of the sleekness but I like having that zipper hidden. Only one snap and it doesn't get stuck like Tredstep. The leather is simply fabulous, far better than Tredstep. She got them for $70 but they sell for $170 in Dover (whish it was SmartPak). The black does have a small stripe of green piping (I know) but after you oil them you really can't tell it's there. The brown have a lighter brown piping. They make the piping stand out for the photographs but it looks nothing that obvious in person.
Has anyone else used these? I plan on abandoning my Tredsteps for them soon :D
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35214&action=quick_order&bhcd2=1262877224

JustJumpIt111
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:17 AM
I love tredsteps, they look great and hold up very nicely.

cajunbelle
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:29 AM
I have a pair of Lg brown Ariat 1/2 chaps, used 3 or 4 times, you are Welcome to have them. The zippers are a pain in the.......:eek:

Rye
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:45 AM
I had the Ariats before, but they are so thick under your calf. The Treadsteps fut much better

BABYGREENTB
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:46 AM
She recently bought Riding Sport Leather Contrast Half Chaps and goodness! They are fabulous!!!! Zipper is covered by a flap unlike the Tredstep's so you do lose a bit of the sleekness but I like having that zipper hidden. Only one snap and it doesn't get stuck like Tredstep. The leather is simply fabulous, far better than Tredstep. She got them for $70 but they sell for $170 in Dover (whish it was SmartPak). The black does have a small stripe of green piping (I know) but after you oil them you really can't tell it's there. The brown have a lighter brown piping. They make the piping stand out for the photographs but it looks nothing that obvious in person.
Has anyone else used these? I plan on abandoning my Tredsteps for them soon :D
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35214&action=quick_order&bhcd2=1262877224

I have these...they REALLY have not held up very well. The elastic piece has completely stretched out after only 2 years of 3X/week riding. As soon as my new customs come in, these will go to the bottom of my trunk as emergency back-ups only. Two thumbs down.

SkipChange
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:49 AM
I have these...they REALLY have not held up very well. The elastic piece has completely stretched out after only 2 years of 3X/week riding. As soon as my new customs come in, these will go to the bottom of my trunk as emergency back-ups only. Two thumbs down.

That's a shame. Of course my tredsteps have done the same, the elastic panel on the back is a complete mess. I thought at least the leather on them looked nicer, but was scared someone would say something bad about them. I mean I do want to know, thanks for the review on them! How much/where are you getting customs from?

LDavis104
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:01 AM
I had the Dover riding sport chaps before and they stretched like CRAZY - i had them taken in once and they stretched again. They're my back-ups now and I prob won't get riding sport chaps again. They got holes too :(

BabyGreen if you could tell me about your customs... I dont mind spending more I just didn't want to pay over like $250.

JustABay
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:12 AM
Another plug for they D'yon half chaps here!

I used to have only Ariat, and every pair I had either broke or stretched out to the point I couldn't even wear them anymore. Bought they D'yon's at the Royal this year on the advice of some of the COTH'ers and so far, so good. They have the back zip, and were tall enough for me (why I originally bought them) although they are quite expensive but I think they're worth it. I'm hoping they hold up well, but IMO anything will hold up better than Ariat!

huntereq7
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:05 PM
I love my Tredsteps! They were one of the few (non-custom) brands that came with a small calf size and a tall height- they fit the same way my custom tall boots do. I've had mine for three or four years and the elastic things on the bottom gave out but other than that they've held up great!

SkipChange
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:21 PM
I really really do not see myself buying Tredsteps again, I do not like the way they have worn even though everyone loves them. I used to love them, suggested them to all my friends, but I hate the leather and the way the back panel is all stretched out.

I don't like Grand Prix either or Ariat. Not a whole lot left after that :D I'm way too picky. Thought those Riding sport contrast would be nice but apparently they aren't either! :( bah humbug half chap shopping is no fun.

sptraining
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:30 PM
I like my tredsteps with the zipper on the outside. Have had them for over two years and some of the stitching is coming undone but the zipper and snaps are fine.

My favorite pair of all time were Rectiligne (sp?) but they're hard to find. Nice soft leather and lasted forever.

Am also a fan of the Grand Prix half chaps.

In general, I try to avoid chaps that zip in the back - these seem to break much faster than the ones that zip on the outside.

caradino
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:44 PM
i've just started riding in a pair of treadsteps that zip up the back.. so far so good! but they aren't even really 'broken in' yet so we'll see how they hold up.

i also love my $40 pair of dublin suede chaps that have just died after about 4 or 5 years of hard use, though i'm still keeping them to wear as backups in really muddy conditions. those things are AWESOME, they fit well, are comfortable, the zipper never gave me any issues, and they wear like iron. don't knock 'em till you try 'em.

tBHj
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'm getting Dyon half chaps when my current GP ones wear out. My coach has them, and rides a lot and they still look brand new!

KateKat
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:08 PM
another vote for the Dublins, I had those for over 2 years and they were just starting to give out when I retired them for...

Prochaps! So far I love them, haven't put them through much of a beating yet through. The leather is great and has gotten nice and grippy, no break in time and I like having the elastic panel. They are cut with a Spanish topline as well, but definitely could not pass for a tall boot (due to the panel) Go a size small though, mine did stretch out some so are now a tad too big. But I got them for $110 from Adams when they were having their inventory sale so I'm going to have to wait another year to get a smaller size. Or make my calves grow, either works ;)

LDavis104
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:14 PM
The Dyon half chaps look super nice! But I have a hard time with not being able to try them on...

BABYGREENTB
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:19 PM
I had the Dover riding sport chaps before and they stretched like CRAZY - i had them taken in once and they stretched again. They're my back-ups now and I prob won't get riding sport chaps again. They got holes too :(

BabyGreen if you could tell me about your customs... I dont mind spending more I just didn't want to pay over like $250.

I ordered them from Journeymans in Middleburg. The total with piping, stripe, and monogram is about $275. I will let you know how they are after I go for my second fitting this weekend!

LDavis104
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:34 PM
Any idea how someone in CT would go about looking at Journeymans? I googled but couldn't find anything, like even if there's a place in New England?

BAC
Jan. 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
Any idea how someone in CT would go about looking at Journeymans? I googled but couldn't find anything, like even if there's a place in New England?

I think you can get measured for them at Beval's in CT? I might be wrong though.

eclipse
Jan. 7, 2010, 04:48 PM
Another Tredstep fan here. After busting through two sets of Ariats in as many years (and both wore though the elastic in the exact same spot) I splurged on Tredsteps this past summer. They still look brand spanking new, stayed extremely tight to my leg & are super dooper comfortable....I love them! One of my best buys to date! :D

BABYGREENTB
Jan. 7, 2010, 05:02 PM

It's a shop in Middleburg, VA. I think if you call, they can give you more info. The number is (540) 687-5888. They are open from 10-4, Monday through Saturday.

dbtoo
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:28 PM
The Grand Prix Elite. The best fitting, most comfortable half chaps I've ever owned, and I've been through various Ariats, Tredsteps, Riding Sports, etc. Its the zippers that always fail.

Sunday Best
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:32 PM
I looooove my ProChaps!
Previously, I had always had Ariats, and when they wore out, someone gave me a new pair of Ariats, but they looked and felt so terrible that I took them back and got the ProChaps instead. They have a huge range of sizes and fit so well! They have a tall Spanish top and a very slim/fitted profile.. none of the bulk of the Ariats...
When I first saw them, I was not crazy about the elastic panel at the back, but totally fell in love once I got on the horse. Love them!

alteringwego
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:10 PM
I have a pair of Journeymans and they are well worth the expense. That'd be my recommendation. I've been considering splurging on a pair of the gorgeous Pinnells. They are world class!

Sunnyhorse
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:14 AM
I've had a couple of pairs of Ariats and don't care much for them -- I do love my Tredstep Deluxes, though!

EqHntrJmpr
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:39 AM
Another vote for the Tredstep Deluxe Half Chaps - I absolutely love mine! They are so comfortable and fit like customs for me, plus they take a lot of abuse!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35425

As far as custom full chaps from Randy @ Horsemen's Ltd - I got mine when I was probably 13 (over 10 years ago) and they're great! They've held up really well and I've never had any zipper issues, although the past few years I've stuck with breeches & half chaps. He does a really nice job and has always offered lifetime alterations. Even years later I've take them to him wanting to change the fit or the length and he's happy to do it. Definitely a quality product.

ShadyLover
Jan. 8, 2010, 01:33 PM
I used to live right down the street from Horsemens LTD and was always very happy with him. I know alot of girl's from the area that love their custom half chaps.

I bought a pair of Ariat Boots on Closeout that fit in the foot but not in the calf and he fixed them up to fit me like a glove! Saved me about $500 :D. He also gives you a Lifetime Guarantee on everything he does.

If you can't find anything you like, definitely go with him!

(I haven't been in a few years but his wife can kind of give you a cold shoulder:(, don't worry about that though, He makes up for it!)

woodstock
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:04 PM
Another plug for they D'yon half chaps here!

My Dy'on's have been fabulous! Wearing super strong, look lovely. I've worn them at some local shows- no one know they weren't tall boots. Leather is TDF. Worth every penny (even though I got a super, duper deal of a lifetime on ebay- 6 pairs of assorted sizes for $150!). Took a chance on these and now I'm converted for life.

woodstock
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:06 PM
The Dyon half chaps look super nice! But I have a hard time with not being able to try them on...

If you go on the Dy'on website they have a size chart- measurements seemed to be very true to size to me. Just convert the cms to inches (if you're like me an metric system illiterate!).

nctoma
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
I LOVE Horsemen's Ltd!! Randy put a zipper in my beloved Ariat Champion tall boots and now they fit better than custom-gorgeous work! He also fixed a noseband on my mare's bridle pretty much the night before her inspection on very short notice, which was very kind of him. I would highly recommend going there for custom chaps!

Celeritas
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:59 PM
Another thumbs-up for Randy. I can't vouch for his half chaps, but his work is great and he's super easy to deal with (but chatty- beware! :D ). I had a zipper blow out on a field boot one week before RI Finals one year, and he saved the day and fixed my boots in time!

I just got a pair of the Tredstep Trimlines and so far I love them, so another vote for Tredstep as well. I couldn't WAIT to get rid of my Ariats!!

mvp
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:49 PM
His website says diddly about custom chaps. Can you fill me in?

Pics of some?

Prices (more or less)?

TIA

Merrylegs
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:16 AM
I got custom full chaps from Randy several years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures handy, but they are beautiful and it was great working with him. They have held up really well. I'd definitely recommend talking to him to find his current pricing and options on half chaps.

twotonejobber
Jan. 10, 2010, 03:03 PM
I LOVE my custom chaps from Randy! They are absolutely beautiful and fit great. He was very easy to work with and I ALWAYS get compliments on them. I'm one of those dinosaurs that still insists on wearing chaps every day, at least I know they look good!

BeastieSlave
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:33 AM
So, tell me more about Randy....
I've been holding onto my Grand Prix chaps in the hopes that one day I'd find someone who could take them in for me without ruining them. Could Randy be this person?!
Remember, I'm south of the middle of nowhere, so unless he goes to Atlanta or Ocala, I probably will never be able to see him in person.

LDavis104
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
Update - went to see Randy this weekend and instead of getting customs, he's going to fix my Ariats. Hopefully Ariat will replace these chaps like they did the last ones that didn't hold up a year even - he's then going to put a difference piece of leather over the place that gets holes, and put a better zipper in. Unfortunately I only got to see his daughter's hot pink suede chaps, so I didn't get to see any of the beautiful customs everyone raves about.

beastieslave - yes he could definitely do them. May need to chat with him about how to go about doing that without seeing him though.

anthem35
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
Another vote for Randy.

Years ago, my very much beloved boyfriend was taken from us in a sailing accident. :(
He had just decided to learn to ride, and purchased a helmet, and a pair of custom chaps. (amusingly enough, in 'light tan' with hunter green whipstitching..when I asked him what prompted his color choice, he told me 'it was what all the pro's are wearing..."
About a year after he passed, I took his chaps to Randy, who had made them
Randy was able to size them perfectly to me ( bf was 6' and about 210 lbs, I am about 5'4" 125 lbs)...and beautifully embroidered HIS initials on the back.

A very sweet remembrance....

blackcat95
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
Eh Ariats stink. I bought a brand new pair of Ariats and within 3 times of riding both the snaps broke. They were sooo sticky and so I pulled and they just came off. I've been sticking it out for about 6 months but I'm due for a new pair because horses keep stepping on the loose elastic bits that hold the snaps... Other than that they've held up really well, I like them a lot. I think I may go with the treadsteps though because the Ariats are really thick.

xitmom
Jan. 11, 2010, 02:59 PM
Another vote for Treadstep Deluxe. They are well constructed and have many sizes of height/width to allow for a near custom fit.

Jumper6252
Jan. 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
Has anyone ever had "randy" put new zipper's into their tall boots? I have a pair of Beval puissance's that need new zipper's and I'm wondering if I should bring them up there to be fixed??

Chouteau
Feb. 8, 2010, 12:33 PM
I'm looking at the beval Puissance half chaps - any feed back on these?
http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-Puissance-Half-Chaps/1080900.aspx

Alternater
Feb. 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'm looking at the beval Puissance half chaps - any feed back on these?
http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-Puissance-Half-Chaps/1080900.aspx

I have these and hate them....the leather is way too soft and they stretch out quickly. Never had any luck with the Ariats- always zipper prooblems. I really like the looks of the Grand Prix's that were posted- I may go for them-

Chouteau
Feb. 8, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you for the heads up - I might look at the Grand Prixs as well - I like everything else they make (love their paddock boots)

ifiwereyou
Feb. 8, 2010, 05:38 PM
If you do buy the Grand Prix half chaps, make sure you buy them tall and tight, because they do stretch and may drop a bit.

I've had mine for around 3 years and I have had to get them restitched a few times, but if you keep on top of it they will last you awhile!

Chouteau
Feb. 9, 2010, 09:24 AM
I looked at the Grand Prix and the smallest calf they offer is 13 - I need a 12. One of the reasons the bevals looked good to me was the sizing options. It looks like Treadstep may be the best option. I really want a spanish top on them. I'm open to spending a little more, I was hoping to do custom - I have a pair of Pinnell full chaps and was going to get half chaps next time he was in town but they start at $650 -I can't justify spending that on half chaps (for some reason I was fine with quite a bit more than that for full!) I'm interested in the Dy'ons or Journeyman but nervous about the measuring...

BABYGREENTB
Feb. 9, 2010, 09:27 AM
I just picked up my new Journeymen half chaps and they are absolutely lovely! They don't do a spanish top though. I am very pleased with the fit, quality, etc.