PDA

View Full Version : Lexington '78, there was plenty!

Carol Ames
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:25 AM
The fences that caused the most issues were combinations.
There was plenty of hue:yes: and cry:eek:

Can you imagine the hue and outcry in today's world if there were *21* falls on cross country? First off, there would not have been that many because many because of the one fall and you're out rule....(which I am NOT a

pony grandma
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:18 AM
Oh yeh, the snake fence over the creek (ditch) - was that called the serpentine?

snoopy
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:52 AM
Oh yeh, the snake fence over the creek (ditch) - was that called the serpentine?

This fence was tricky for many reasons:

it came very late on course when the horses were exhausted.

there was water.

and the shape of this fence was not ideal.

It had to be jumped in three sections and the construction was designed like an acordian (sp?). The first part was open but the last part was tight and the horses had to land in water. The take off was dodgy and if the horse could not read the fence it is was likely that it would hook at knee and that is what a lot did and it turned them over into the water.

Auburn
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:20 AM
I spent most of the day taking photos at the third element of that fence. It was my first time taking photos with my new Canon SLR camera. I had bought the attachment that allowed for continuous shots (which neither my DH or I can remember what it is called?). I got some amazing shots of riders/horses going over the jump, flipping, into the water upside down and coming out drenched. I don't remember any of them having to be carted off in an ambulance. A lot of them did retire there, because the horses were out of gas.

I got a great shot of BD going over the fence, which was just after that combo, because I was sitting on the bridge, just to the right of it. I loved Might Tango.

Wasn't the reason that so many horses had trouble at the last element, because of the false ground line?

LAZ
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:30 PM
I spent most of the day taking photos at the third element of that fence. It was my first time taking photos with my new Canon SLR camera. I had bought the attachment that allowed for continuous shots (which neither my DH or I can remember what it is called?). I got some amazing shots of riders/horses going over the jump, flipping, into the water upside down and coming out drenched. I don't remember any of them having to be carted off in an ambulance. A lot of them did retire there, because the horses were out of gas.

I got a great shot of BD going over the fence, which was just after that combo, because I was sitting on the bridge, just to the right of it. I loved Might Tango.

Wasn't the reason that so many horses had trouble at the last element, because of the false ground line?

Powerwinder. 2 frames a second. :) I still have mine on my AE-1.

Auburn
Jan. 7, 2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks, LAZ! :D Not being able to remember was really bugging us.

cnvh
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:08 PM
Anyone have a link to some footage or photos?

secretariat
Jan. 8, 2010, 06:38 PM
There's a DVD out, made from "recently discovered clips." Pretty good viewing, tho.

Carol Ames
Jan. 9, 2010, 08:02 PM
I have some super 8 film, borrowed a boarders' camera;) It includes a very fast and spectacular:eek: fall by Mike Huber and Gold Chip at the serpent ; also Sumatra;) putting her rider back in the saddle:cool: after submerging :eek:at the Head of the Lake:winkgrin: