PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Arena Size

JumpingForJoy
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:54 PM
Long story, but I am finally deciding to bite the bullet and try to put an indoor riding arena on my property. Problem is, money is tight and I can only afford a small one. I was looking initially at 80 x 120 but the sticker price :eek: forced me into the very modest 60 x 120 size.

I want to do jumpers and I know I am going to have to be *very* inventive with setting up jumps but now I am wondering if I should be sacrificing some length to get extra width (66 x 112) or stick with 60 x 120.

My two biggest horses are 16.1 TBs, with one of them built like a warmblood with a big stride. I don't want the arena put up and then shoot myself because I went with the wrong size... So I need some COTH wisdom ;) - what would you choose?

Defying Logic
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:32 AM
The barn I board at has a 60' x 160' indoor and it is alright. The corners really force you to keep your horse on their butt at the canter, but that is good for the most part. We have set up full courses in there (highest I have seen set in a course is 3'6 and single 4' and the riders we very good at steering) and you end up with lots of interesting tight turns, but it works.

Another barn I am at (in school, so one home and one away barn) has a 72' x 105' indoor and I prefer jumping in the narrower but longer one. In this one, lines can be difficult because by the time you get a decent number of strides in the line, your jumps are almost in your corner.

With the smaller differences between your lengths, it might not be as noticable, but that is my take on it.

Calvincrowe
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:58 AM
Longer is better. Our current barn's arena is 70 x 150--that is as small as I like to jump in, if the jumps get over 2'6". We can set a smallish course, but the corners come up very, very fast. You also need very good footing if you are going to jump in a small arena, to avoid slipping while making tight corners.

suniday
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:55 AM
What I have always heard is to build the WIDEST you can now. You can always add length later, but not width.

Hauwse
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:54 AM
What I have always heard is to build the WIDEST you can now. You can always add length later, but not width.

This would be my advice as well.

Most indoor show rings are about the same size as a hockey rink 85'-90' x 200'.

Our's is 75' x 200', and I wish it were wider.

TikiSoo
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:04 AM
The place I stable my horse has a teeny indoor, I'd guess somewhere around 45-50 feet long, about the size of a 3 bay garage. I'm sure it works just fine for lesson kids on ponies and smaller 15 h horses like mine, but worthless for jumping.

They plan on erecting a larger indoor this year (hope the board doesn't go up). I kind of like the small confined space now that I'm used to it. It's helping us to learn better balance, especially cantering around those corners!

And I've noticed newbies feel more secure in the enclosed space, as if they think the horse has no where to run away with them.

murph
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
Check your PMs :)

MIKES MCS
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:29 AM
We have a 60 x 120 , it's tight but do-able .. if it's for your private use only I would say go with it rather than shorter.. by the time you put a jump in the middle of the 120 you still only have about 3 strides on each side of it , if you cut it shorter than that it's too tight to do any jumping , you can still add length later and the other 6 ft your talking about isn't really going to help .. if you were going to 72" it might make a good bit of difference but 60 to 66 is going to make a difference in stride, it will just give you a longer stride but still only 5 strides with more wasted corner

LivviesMom
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:32 AM
The barn I board at has a smaller arena than most but I can set up a decent gymnastic down the long side.
It will also force me to get creative for course work but I like the challenge. I really only use the indoor during crappy/cold weather anyway so its a good time to work on those tighter turns/roll backs etc.

Ours is 60x120 and no problem. If you had5-6 horses in there at once it would be chaotic but perfect for 3-4.
I also believe its better to go wider at first.

JumpingForJoy
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for everybody's responses so far!

Just some more information... this is for private use only so only 2 horses max in there at one time but most of the time really only 1. I will be using this year round. I live in a very windy area so putting in an outdoor riding arena is kind of out of the question unless I want to watch my money blow away! ;)

Also, it will be nice to have for security reasons too... Activity on my property is very visible from the road and I have already run into several freaky people and had several close calls that has made me concerned for my horses' and my safety :no:.

So since this has necessitated itself and I only have a small window to do this in and a limited budget, I want to make sure I make the best choice!

Zu Zu
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:19 AM
You will like either size - just to have an indoor :D ~ but have the builder take you to see some of their almost finished models to judge your needs. Take your long linges and lunge line and long lash whip and set up you activities - so you are sure of YOUR width needs and height needs.:yes: Builders will tell you they build indoors and know horses but only YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED. I just had an personal indoor built - small because of property restraints = easements but height of trusses was crucial to me and is probaly more so to you ~as I do not jump. Make them show you ~ at least that's what helped me - to make sure I was getting what I needed ! Hope this helps. * Also not to be pessimistic but remember a fish salesman is not going to tell you his product smells. Be careful even with the most prestigious sp? companies. Good Luck!

tuppysmom
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:31 AM
Our indoor is 70 x 138. We do lots of jumping indoors often over 4'.

There are plenty of different configurations of jumps that will work in there. We sets grids and courses. The young horses learn to pay attention, turn, halt on a straight line, and not goof off between their jumps.

I would build the width first with the idea of possbly adding to the length at a later date.

AmandaandTuff
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:40 AM
Build width then length. I rode a course in a very narrow but long arena, corners were impossible!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:59 PM
BO's indoor is 70x145, but has 10' of equipment, camper, etc. parked at one end. Let's call it 70x130. It's really tight. Old BO's indoor is 80x 175 that's a nice size.

I want at least a 20 meter circle, but then I ride dressage too.

I wish I would have gotten 8' poles instead of 10' but can't bring myself to cut them down after days of sanding and painting (and taping and painting and again), lol. They are beautiful ;)

tBHj
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:12 PM

I agree.

Ponymom4
Jan. 7, 2010, 04:03 PM
We have an 80' x 130' and that was the largest size I could fit in that location. I love it but even then you have to be careful with several horses.

Best advice is build the largest you can. Personally I like longer better since a place we boarded at had a 70' x 100'. The ten foot difference in width didn't seem very much, but the 30' more in length is really nice.