PDA

View Full Version : Need leather girth recommendations, please??

TheJenners
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:13 PM
I bought a new custom saddle this past summer, a Devoucoux in the lighter color. Threw some Bates youth leathers (shush) on which actually matched. Also, broke some retired Phillis irons out to replace the hinged ones I had been using.

Well, darling BF, who is a bit of a tack snob (ok, a HUGE tack snob with custom calf-roping gear), unbeknowst to me called up Devoucoux said it was a crime, a CRIME I TELL YOU, that I didn't have fancy-schmancy leathers and irons to go with the fancy-schmancy saddle. Darling BF who thinks English is "weird" threw himself at the mercy of Joe, who looked up my order, and together they got matching leathers and some cheese-grater oober-light-possibly-carbon irons for my Christmas delight.

Soooo, a girth. Pink, the pony who was thin and is no longer, originally fit the 44'' Pro Choice girth just fine. She has since turned into a butter ball. I was, by will and determination, able to get the girth on at around Oct. I've been a bum and not ridden since, and I'd say she's gotten another 30 pounds of fat and 30 pounds of hair since then.

What are nice girths that won't break the bank?? I've never actually bought a leather girth, though I've admired nice ones. Never checked for brand names though. Dover has one called a Fairfield for sale for $60, but I've never heard of that. Also, Pessoas, etc, for $250+. Quite a range!!

GGsuperpony
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:36 PM
I vote County Logic: http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/thestore/prods/logic.html

Mine is now six years old and going strong. I use it every ride - and have for six years, on two horses! - and it's still beautiful. And I'm not one of those every-ride-tack-cleaning people; for the first four years I didn't do anything that remotely resembled taking care of it. Literally. No cleaning, no oiling, just daily use.

If you like the light color, you can keep it light - just don't oil it. Mine oiled into a dark havana.

The leather is super soft, and the elastic is still strong and stretchy. Anyway, it's pricey but mine has stood the test of time. I'd buy it again (if it hadn't been a gift :winkgrin: )

TheJenners
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:19 AM
Very nice...but anything slightly less spendy?

fascination
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:12 AM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-021235&ids=701135264

The picture is quite dark, but the brown complements my fancy shmancy CWD saddle (that I use Bates leathers on too!).

3DogNight
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:15 AM
http://www.beval.com/Products/Fancy-Padded-Double-Elastic-Ends-Girth/4102000.aspx

I have this one for showing. Although it is pricey on the website, I found it for much less while at a show. Have had it for about 8 years and it still looks great. Sometimes you can find great deals at the vendors' tents.

SkipChange
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:25 AM

The picture is quite dark, but the brown complements my fancy shmancy CWD saddle (that I use Bates leathers on too!).

I have this girth too. LOVE it, matches my Beval bridle and saddle really nicely. The padding is very soft and it seems like a pretty nice girth to me, I got it for $80 but looks like its still on sale for about $100.

BAC
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:36 AM
Well I think the BF should spring for a matching Devoucoux girth too. ;) I love my Dover circuit bridle but I wouldn't use a cheap Dover girth with such a pricey saddle. I admit I am a terrible tack snob though. :D

BAC
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:37 AM

How awful! CWD leathers are the best, I love mine so much I am thinking of buying another set for another saddle I hope to buy too.

SkipChange
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:41 AM
Well I think the BF should spring for a matching Devoucoux girth too. ;) I love my Dover circuit bridle but I wouldn't use a cheap Dover girth with such a pricey saddle. I admit I am a terrible tack snob though. :D

I sorta agree :yes: if you've got the fancy saddle get the fancy girth. But the Dover circuit girth was nicer than I expected :D just saying, if you're trying to find a decent but not too expensive girth it's a fair choice. I really wanted elastic on both sides and it was the least expensive/still decent looking leather girth I could find that met that requirement.

sadlmakr
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:45 AM
Most leather girths are OK to use on a daily basis as long as you clean the sweat off them after you ride. The salt in the horse's sweat is hard on the leather. I used a mid grade leather girth on my big Arabian but I put a cover on it. I used an acrylic fleece cover that I could toss in the washer. I made both the girth cover and the fleece pad to fit my Crosby Olympia event saddle. It saved the saddle and the girth from wear and also protected them from the sweat.
Don't let the horse get too fat or you will be facing health issues with him.
Fleshy is OK but obese is bad.
JMHO./ sadlmakr

BAC
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:50 AM
Most leather girths are OK to use on a daily basis as long as you clean the sweat off them after you ride. The salt in the horse's sweat is hard on the leather.

I use my leather girths all the time, but usually with a girth sock so it not only helps it stay clean but its comfy for a sensitive horse. I think it gives a much neater appearance than those grubby, fleecy girths that are so popular.

TheJenners
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:03 PM
Don't let the horse get too fat or you will be facing health issues with him.
Fleshy is OK but obese is bad.
JMHO./ sadlmakr
Uh, thanks for that. :rolleyes:

Well, I blew more money than I had planned on this past year, with new saddle, new house, holidays. Pink fleshed out more than I thought she would, and now I'm looking at buying a girth on a budget. I like the Circuit girth, thanks!

Rio Wild
Jan. 8, 2010, 08:50 AM
I got a smartpak brand girth in November, the overlay one with fancy stitching, and love it! They have such nice quality leather for the price.

forestergirl99
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:25 PM

Here is that girth, but this is it's sale page thing.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=LA-021235&EID=X1810001&TID=CHRS&bhcd2=1262978656

Celeritas
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:04 PM
Another vote for the Dover Circuit girth. It's way nicer than I expected, and I've gotten lots of complements on it at shows. Matches my Delgrange saddle just fine. Super nice for the price and has held up great. I didn't buy it- it was abandoned in the tack room so I adopted it, but I was really surprised how happy I am with it, because frankly I wasn't expecting much. But I'd definitely say it's worth the 100 bucks.

alteringwego
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:09 PM
I think that he should spring for the girth too! Valentine's day is right around the corner.....

I see a lot of Professional's Choice girths and the Soft Touch girths. They aren't leather but very popular.
As for an inexpensive leather girth I have to admit that I've been very impressed by the Circuit brand girths from Dover.

tBHj
Jan. 8, 2010, 07:36 PM
I only use leather girths. They are way easier to clean and don't hold bacteria like the fleece ones. I have a really nice Exselle girth, and 2 Antares. All of them are shaped.

mortebella
Jan. 9, 2010, 09:15 AM
I have a Weaver leather girth I've used almost every day for 2 years and it has yet to show the slightest bit of wear. Not spendy at all and looks fine, IMO. Not super supple but hey!Not one of the places where "hand" counts, if you ask me. ;)

Individualblue07
Jan. 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
what size do you need? If you are interested, there is a GORGEOUS edgewood fancy stitched girth for sale at a local tack show down by me! It is used but looks brannnd new! I would get it but my guy is a 52... and well its a 48 girth... :cry:

lol