PDA

View Full Version : Open front boots for XC?

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:07 PM
I am looking for new boots in my new colors (navy and light blue and I found some really cute ones that have both navy and light blue on them! But they are open front boots. Is it okay to run XC in open front boots?

Also, should I get fleece lined or Neoprene lined?
Thanks!!

Catalina
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:18 PM
There is nothing that says that you can't, but I certainly wouldn't do it. You want the protection in front in case the horse raps a leg on something solid. Open fronts are for jumpers so that they feel it when they rack a rail and, hopefully, yank their legs out of the way next time.

mjrtango93
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:18 PM
Honestly depends on your horse and the level. If he feels the need to "feel" his way around the course open fronts would not be wise, you'd hate to have him come back all scraped up just because of the boots (although might get those tootsies a bit higher :winkgrin:). For the lower levels most horses honestly don't even need boots, I ran my advanced horse at 2 shows with no boots because he was having some skin issues that were very uncomfortable if he got sweaty or wet under boots. But the caveat on that was this was a horse that would seriously not touch a fence, really didn't matter if he had boots or not. If your looking at boots for xc though always take neoprene over fleece, fleece will hold water and get nasty pretty darn fast.

nomeolvides
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:19 PM
I believe Lucinda Green sometimes uses open front boots for XC. Don't quote me on that, though! ;)

JER
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:20 PM
Yes. And it's also okay to go without boots on XC.

I don't put boots on my horses out of habit, especially not at the LLs. I started to put open-fronts on one of my horses at Prelim but mostly because he had a skin condition. This horse was a very experienced field hunter who did not touch fences and did not like to wear boots at all. He did not school in boots.

I wouldn't advise fleece-lined boots for XC. Do you really want to get them wet or get stuff stuck in the fleece?

My advice: save the money for boots and put it toward something more useful, like an extra lesson or XC school.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone! Even though I love the boots, I suppose I will go without them!!! I am so used to either wrapping or putting on some sort of boots for schooling (only go sans boots when my horse is being lazy and not picking up her feet). I might feel bad at first! This is going to be a hard habbit to break!

RiverBendPol
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:41 PM
I won't use open fronts. Ever.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 6, 2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone! Even though I love the boots, I suppose I will go without them!!! I am so used to either wrapping or putting on some sort of boots for schooling (only go sans boots when my horse is being lazy and not picking up her feet). I might feel bad at first! This is going to be a hard habbit to break!

Ah...don't feel you have to break that habit either. I ALWAYs put boots on. Why...because I've had too many vet bills from stupid cuts and scrapes and bumps that wouldn't have happened with boots on.

Most of my horses are careful jumpers...almost to a fault. But I've had horses hit themselves when scrambling for their footing etc. I currently have one that got a puncture through a tendon to the bone.....who will now wear boots all the time...even in turn out (where he got the injury).

There is always a debate on boots or no boots. There isn't a right or wrong answer....and pros and cons to both views. My personal view (based on my personal experience) is to boot up all the time.

so I would get boots...but wouldn't use open front for xc.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 6, 2010, 03:19 PM
Alright.. Still dont know what to do, but I figure I might as well have some boots around. Does anyone know where I can get PURE navy boots? I dont want any black on them. I know I can get some SMBs in navy, but they hold water..

lionstigersbears
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:07 PM
Ok, first of all I know how tempting it is to color coordinate EVERYTHING (trust me, my colors were/are red and black and I have black Woof boots with red tabs, red/black saddle pad, red bell boots, red buckets - I was 14, don't judge me... BUT I had a gray horse, if I got a new horse that was, say a chestnut, red probably wouldn't look very nice, but if my stuff fit it, you can be sure I would be using it!)

That being said, I would buy the best boots I can for my horse, regardless of color. If you have a saddle pad in your colors or bell boots in your colors and black splint/galloping boots... it's not going to matter. The boots are there to protect your horse's legs, not make a fashion statement and you might decide to change your colors again and black or white looks fine with just about any color combination you can dream up.

I know Davis splint boots come in pastel/light blue, but they still have black tabs and I'm pretty sure you can get Woof boots with navy tabs, but the boot body is still black... Most boots come in either or black or white, getting your heart set on another color might just end in disappointment

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:25 PM
I agree with the above post.....step away from the fashion statement.

Pick the boots that fit best and do the best job AND fit in your price range.

Color doesn't factor in. If you want to express your colors....do it in your saddle pad, vest, helmet etc. Many people will have black boots and if OCD, might tape them with their colors for a big event. I rarely bother even with that...and have only ever taped my boots on for a big 3-day....and then I just used black tape.

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:41 PM
Color doesn't factor in. If you want to express your colors....do it in your saddle pad, vest, helmet etc. Many people will have black boots and if OCD, might tape them with their colors for a big event. I rarely bother even with that...and have only ever taped my boots on for a big 3-day....and then I just used black tape.

Ditto that. The less is more approach is much more professional and attractive. I've taped mine for big events... my boots are black because that's what they make fuzzy N.E.W boots in and they come clean easier. I taped with black electrical tape. My colours are also Navy and Baby blue. I have one piece of baby blue attire. It is a white saddle pad with baby blue piping. lol.

And honestly, if you are eventing where it's muddy (or ever at Rocking horse where it's orange) you will want black boots. Colours get stained on the legs very easily.

snoopy
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:47 PM
I believe Lucinda Green sometimes uses open front boots for XC. Don't quote me on that, though! ;)

And she went round Blenheim XC with NO boots at all with Miss DeMeena.

purplnurpl
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:14 PM
I go with no boots. Or open fronts. or cheap boots, or porters and saratogas.

I remember a horse running around Rolex bootless. I watched him gallop around some corners and bushes and he tapped the wood with all four feet over both fences.

open fronts
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/a.jpg

none
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/horse23.jpg

never had an issue with not using boots.
My grey horse is a clutz though so he wears boots just to stand. And a head bumper to eat. lol. j/k.

I agree with the colors. Black or white. : )

HelloAgain
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:28 PM
I think one person commented but NO FLEECE. It holds water. Remember there will usually be some water on course (not always at BN, but usually there is at least a pass-through the water).

Personally I share your enthusiasm for color coordination (I have been known to vetrap my stirrups one green, one yellow... don't judge me), but I just used colored tape on the black plastic Davis bell boots and neoprene boots. If I wanted to be SUPER cool, I taped the opposite legs so my colors "flash" at the trot. (oh god did I really admit that!?)

Neets
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:33 PM
I've never really heard anything negative about the fact that SMBs hold water. My trainer has used them exclusively for the past 10 years and has never had an issue with them. I think a pair usually lasts her through 2 seasons or so. I would use them myself, but my horse is allergic neoprene. Unfortunately, we learned this after we already had a pair in hunter green! We then had to spring for the pricey tri-zones, since they're the only ones we could find without neoprene. I love them, though! They only come in black, and they have fantastic ventilation. If the water's at the middle or the beginning of the course, his legs are dry as a bone by the end!

rivenoak
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:59 PM
Current horse usually wears open-fronts on all fours when we've schooled XC.

She hates, hates, hates boots. This was as minimal as I could do for her.

They have the hard shell around the tendon, so we hunt in them too for protection against cactus spines.

I never boot her at home or out on our rocky, steep trails.

I have forgotten to put boots on for an XC school and she was fine, but that was just BN and she seems fairly allergic to wood/stone/whatnot.

deltawave
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:03 PM
Buy what's right for your horse. Color is secondary.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:27 PM
I dont even know whats best! haha But I would never buy something base soley on color. I would make sure it did what I wanted and then get the color I want.

kookicat
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not a fan of open fronts on XC. I've seen horses have a few nasty rubs from them. And Rue once ended up with a stick poking out of his when we were schooling XC.

That being said, it will depend a lot on what sort of footing you're working on. In our nasty mud, they seem to let too much water/mud into the boot.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:36 PM
I'll tell you what I tell my students:

At the lower levels, I'm ok with no boots or open fronts- HOWEVER, if your horse raps a solid fence and hurts itself, you'll be sad.

I advise a brushing or galloping boot, and the LL it doesn't really matter- I usually tell my students to get the Woof/Nunn Finer boots because they like the colors. Some of mine go in Davis boots- I figure it just helps the horse out in case, since we're only jumping 18"-2'- the rider gets them into a bad spot and they clip themselves.

Unless you're getting a REALLY REALLY good deal on the open fronts, I'd skip it (or get black so you can use them for stadium) and wait and get some woof boots in baby or navy.

ETA: I have the pink Woof boots for all four- I think they're cute, but they're also kind of a greenish pink now because of all the mud, and honestly, no one watches me go around XC and says "Oh, how cute! Pink Woof boots!" because me and everyone else (usually under the age of 15) has pink boots. What I REALLY want people to do is go "Hey pink... man... look at how nicely she's riding that green bean- she is really giving her the opportunity to have the best chance- what a lovely balanced rider!" Not "Look at her! She is 25 and perfectly color coordinated! WOO!"

subk
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:48 PM
What I REALLY want people to do is go "Hey pink... man... look at how nicely she's riding that green bean- she is really giving her the opportunity to have the best chance- what a lovely balanced rider!" Not "Look at her! She is 25 and perfectly color coordinated! WOO!"
Now see, I do black and white w/ a smidgen of red somewhere, but plain leather boots. I want someone to say "Look at that lovely horse, isn't he focused and jumping out of stride. I wish I had a horse like that. Oh yeah, there is someone riding him." Then later they might think that lovely horse must have had some equipment, but they can't remember because the horse was so cute they were distracted and didn't notice any. :yes:

Ok, first of all I know how tempting it is to color coordinate EVERYTHING (trust me, my colors were/are red and black and I have black Woof boots with red tabs, red/black saddle pad, red bell boots, red buckets - I was 14, don't judge me...
If you are under 20 you do NOT need to apologize for lots of color, or even petal bell boots. Sometimes I go watch BNRJ XC just to take in all the cuteness. Over 20? Well, I'm going to work on ecg...but I'm not real optimistic... :)

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:05 PM
(or get black so you can use them for stadium)

Do my stadium boots have to be black?

eponacowgirl
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:13 PM
Do my stadium boots have to be black?

In a word: yes.

In two words: Not technically.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:17 PM
In a word: yes.

In two words: Not technically.

Elaborate please?
I assume you mean that black is what is usually worn and anything else is looked down upon? What about white?

eventingVOL
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:28 PM
I would say that black, white or leather is ok for stadium, but IMHO I would never buy white boots b/c if you ever use them in mud or clay they will get dirty and it will show. Black is best! haha

deltawave
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:32 PM
Save the bling for XC. Please. Stadium gear should be elegant, functional, understated, subtle.

Unless, as others have said, you're twelve. :)

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:35 PM
Def not 12 and I was not planning on going in the ring with a bright color, but navy is very subtle and classy, I thought anyway...

deltawave
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:51 PM
Navy is great for a hunt coat and saddle pad. And it's one of the two acceptable colors for a helmet cover, too. :yes: (unless that's changed, that's a rule, not a fashion)

My rule for stadium is one "color" item. The rest is black or brown or white. Usually the "color" item is my saddle pad. I do have a pair of open-front boots that are light blue, I hate them but had to buy them in a pinch (old ones tore) and they're still floating around in my gear box. Found some nice black ones for the big horse and brown ones for the little ones over Christmas, so the blue ones will be retired to "schooling gear". :)

Just me, though. :)

starkissed
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:00 PM
I don't use boots much. I have evented up to training and my horses had bare legs for that level. I wouldnt bother at anything below novice.

My horses are hunters and I've just never been around people who use boots. I do have a pair of plain black neoprene, but they slipped down once XC schooling, I think in the water. That makes me nervous so I tend not to use them

JER
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:30 PM
Rescue Rider, boots are function not fashion.

NO ONE will notice or care what color boots your horse is wearing. You will not be noticed for classy boots or sassy boots or trashy boots.

All that matters is that the boots are appropriate and appropriately-fitted for the activity.

purplnurpl
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:07 PM
Navy is great for a hunt coat and saddle pad. And it's one of the two acceptable colors for a helmet cover, too. :yes: (unless that's changed, that's a rule, not a fashion)

My rule for stadium is one "color" item. The rest is black or brown or white. Usually the "color" item is my saddle pad. I do have a pair of open-front boots that are light blue, I hate them but had to buy them in a pinch (old ones tore) and they're still floating around in my gear box. Found some nice black ones for the big horse and brown ones for the little ones over Christmas, so the blue ones will be retired to "schooling gear". :)

Just me, though. :)

my one color item is my mini lilac jumping bat. hehehe

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:15 PM
I would never do open-front for XC. But you should always go for function not fashion. If you want to "badazzle" your boots do so with electrical tape.

As for stadium, I hate to see people who have colored boots on their horses or colorful saddle pads. IMO xc is the time for that. I think that black or white boots and a white saddle pad, color trim if you want, is a good look. I still like the classy look.

I did have my neon phase on xc. Lime green was my color. I had this crazy tie-dye looking saddle pad. So funny! But now I am a hunter green and white girl.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:28 AM
Elaborate please?
I assume you mean that black is what is usually worn and anything else is looked down upon? What about white?

There is nothing illegal about blue boots, but as I told Maggie on Facebook, stadium is supposed to be very traditional and you don't want to draw undue attention to you/your horse, really. So can you wear blue boots- sure. Should you? No. If you need to have some color, get a white pad with a lovely trim.

Well, I'm going to work on ecg...but I'm not real optimistic... :)
Oh, come on! My horse is like an oversized Thelwell pony anyway, let me run around in pink! I'll outgrow it. (Probably not, but we can pretend, can't we?) :lol:

Phaxxton
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:45 AM
There is nothing illegal about blue boots, but as I told Maggie on Facebook, stadium is supposed to be very traditional and you don't want to draw undue attention to you/your horse, really.

Stadium is judged objectively, so what harm could really come from drawing "undue" attention to you/your horse?

I'm the queen of the tuxedo look (black/white) when it come to wraps, pads, boots, etc., even schooling. (I have some pink and burgundy, but usually only break that out close to laundry day.) I still fail to see the harm in some blue open fronts for stadium. While a professional or a sales horse going into the stadium ring blinged out would appear odd and unprofessional, I don't see the harm in an adult ammy putting navy open fronts on her horse for stadium. I probably wouldn't even notice. If they're dressed like they're about to go cross-country in the loudest colors possible, that's a different story. One set of blue boots? Not a big deal to me.

While I understand a trainer doesn't want a student going into stadium decked out in flashy colors, looking like said student and trainer don't know what they are doing, it can't affect the judging. And I still don't think a pair of blue open fronts will make or break anyone's reputation (or performance, for that matter).

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:50 AM
If you want to "badazzle" your boots do so with electrical tape.

OMG. I so want to bedazzle my boots!!! That would be sweet. You could get some killer studs and make your horse look like a bad ass.

Who has a bedazzle gun?

InVA
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:06 AM
Why would you feed your horse the best quality grain, groom him, take care of him and do the best for him then run xc with open front boots?!! Get a boot that will protect your horses legs FIRST... the color of the boots should be secondary - if that.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
I've never really heard anything negative about the fact that SMBs hold water. My trainer has used them exclusively for the past 10 years and has never had an issue with them. I think a pair usually lasts her through 2 seasons or so. I would use them myself, but my horse is allergic neoprene. Unfortunately, we learned this after we already had a pair in hunter green! We then had to spring for the pricey tri-zones, since they're the only ones we could find without neoprene. I love them, though! They only come in black, and they have fantastic ventilation. If the water's at the middle or the beginning of the course, his legs are dry as a bone by the end!

Im not worried about the holding water so much as they hold heat like nothing else! That kind of heat on galloping tendons....count me out.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:06 PM
I boot on xc, no open fronts, no fleece (unless its that special NEW fleece, but thats not the same as the regular fleece).

I could see a real hardy type, or a horse that hates boots not wearing them, but its not worth the risk for me. Especially if you have corks in. The jumps arent forgiving, and even for horses who dont touch fences, sh*t happens. They are kind of like running martingales, they dont really do anything until you need them, then youre glad theyre there.

Dressage.For.Life.
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:06 PM
Why don't you get some galloping type boots for the xc, and the open fronts for stadium? If you're talking about the Roma open front boots, one of my friends who's in college has the bright purple ones that she uses for stadium on her prelim horse :lol: The blue will be fine.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:32 PM
I m talking about the roma boots! and thats funny about the bright purple! Love it!

mugsgame
Jan. 7, 2010, 05:27 PM
In the UK the fashion is to wear open fronted for xc.

Here is William Fox Pitt going round Badminton
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/galleries/d/4736-2/william-fox-pitt.jpg

Ollie Townend
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/u-hPtvUZyko/Badminton+Horse+Trials+Day+Three/Lb-_3jB52tT/Oliver+Townend

A lot of riders think it helps the horse to be more careful and also help with keeping the leg cooler.

Festivity
Jan. 7, 2010, 05:55 PM
I tend to go minimal on xc, no boots and no shoes. My geldings live out in pasture so they are pretty good about where their feet are in all sorts of situations. I also don't school in boots, so they figured out early on that hitting jumps was not the greatest idea. Sure, if things go really wrong we could end up with scraps and cuts, but at the point where it is really a problem we probably need to be done with the course anyways. I am doing this for fun, so if we have to take some time off to heal up and regroup so be it. I am also only doing BN for now, so my opinions probably don't count.

Noctis
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:47 AM
I have leather brushing boots with leather padding that I use all around for xcountry and leather open fronts for stadium. Not so much for the hitting the jumps, but for everything ELSE out there! I like bright colors, but I go with what fits, and I love my leather boots.

asterix
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:32 PM
So not getting into the fashion arguments (are we really HAVING fashion arguments on the eventing board???)...
but two things to consider about the conditions you run in in your area:

1. Do you use studs on a regular basis xc? If so, then SOME kind of boots are very, very smart. They can slice themselves up good with studs slipping, clipping, or spooking.

2. Do your events run with SJ back to back to XC? Here in Area II the vast majority of events I have run at BN-T do this -- it's much easier just to put on whatever you are going to wear (or horse is going to wear) for XC for SJ and not have some mad dash after SJ to switch around gear...so if this was the case, I'd go for non-open-fronts.

In the end, you ARE allowed to have colored boots in stadium and it won't affect your placing AT ALL so...

In a bow to mr. asterix's impeccable logic (is it legal? is it safer?), I now wear a vest in SJ even if I am NOT going directly to XC. Even if I have to wear a coat. Do I look fabulous? er, no, not with the coat and the vest. Does it make any difference to my score? nope.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:02 PM
Just to clarify, I would never put my horse in danger just because something looks good or whatever. I was just asking if open fronts were used on XC. I have previously run my horse in splint boots, but wanted to get her something different. Thats all.
And my horse is barefoot.

clm08
Jan. 8, 2010, 11:41 PM
My horse goes with neoprene boots in XC and no boots in stadium. My daughter was schooling him on XC once when he hesitated at a helsinki and jumped from a standstill. It was training level height, so he cleared the front but not the hind legs and scraped them pretty good. We were amazed that the skin was intact and he didn't have any heat or swelling afterward, because the boots looked liked they had been grated in the front. From that day on we knew why he should always wear boots in XC, even if they are the inexpensive neoprene splint boots!