PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mold on Sheepskin

FraggleRock
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:13 AM
I stored a sheepskin gel pad in a rubber container for a few months, unfortunately there was also a leather halter that was in there. The halter (which has unremovable sheepskin) got a bit mold. Now the halter and the gel pad are stinky. I have no idea how to go about cleaning these. Any ideas??

Spud&Saf
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:20 AM
I would spray the sheepskin items with lysol spray to kill the mould/mildew and then put them in the washing machine.

The leather you can clean the mould off quite easily with hot water and a bit diluted of amonina, then condition well.

BAC
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't use something as harsh as Lysol on sheepskin, I would just wash it with something especially meant for sheepskin (Melp, Leather Therapy, Pepede, etc.) on the gentle cycle and then let it dry naturally. When its sunny (may be a while depending on where you live) put it outside, sunlight does wonders for eliminating mold.

FraggleRock
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:58 PM
the sheepskin is not removable on either item is my biggest problem....

BAC
Jan. 6, 2010, 03:22 PM
Wash the sheepskin/gel pad by hand using Melp or similar product. I would throw the halter in the machine, I've heard of others who have done that with great success.

ZIL
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:16 AM
Freeze it?