View Full Version : Bit help for large horse!

Jan. 6, 2010, 10:47 AM
I need help finding the prefect bit for my guy. He was in an eggbutt happy mouth elevator. I worked him down to a 3 ring elevator with the rein just on the second ring (He could easily go in a 2 ring). I need bit ideas. Something cheap and I'd like to get something not quite so harsh. He was working good in a D-ring but he gets excited in open spaces and when jumping and 17.3hh + 5'4 rider = not pretty when he gets overly happy. The elevator/gag seemed to be his ideal work bit but I hate using them all the time. Same horse can work happily in dressage tack with a loose ring french link snaffle. But he just knows when the tack isn't black!

My trouble has been finding a nicer bit with some leverage but also in the 6'' size. He has a HUGE mouth (Irish Sporthorse with tons of Irish Draught influence). I think he MAY be able to fit into a large 5 3/4. But 6'' is really his happy size!

Jan. 6, 2010, 04:56 PM
Why not just keep using the gag for when you need it and the snaffle for when you don't :) If its working, you shouldn't change. Anything else may be expensive. My ISH goes (went, before the injury) in a full-cheek, slow-twist gag over fences - mind you those are HARD to find and expensive. He is too heavy in a plain snaffle so I use a Stubben Golden Wings Gag (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-010474&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=66&zmap=X1-010474&re=viewbuyrec) for flatting - mind you he is a jumper and no need for hunter equipment - although when he did as a greenie it was in a mullen mouth pelham - and later a Myler pelham with a curb jointed mouthpiece.

What's nice about the ringed gags OR the gag that I use is you can use it with two reins (hooking a snaffle rein to the large ring on the three ring) to take the pressure off the poll and use it more like a snaffle - why not try that when you are just flatting. I have constantly had to change bits because my Irish guy is quite heavy if he wants to be Diamond lined plus steeplechase momma makes for an interesting round!

Good luck!

You could also try one of these if you want even more of a snaffle effect: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-01765&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=66&zmap=X1-01765&re=producta

I know you can find a less expensive brand - but this was the first that popped up.

Jan. 6, 2010, 05:01 PM
Drafttack.com has lots of different snaffles in 6", 6.5" and 7". Thank god. :)

Jan. 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
I bought a Pessoa 2 ring for my mare, I love it. I have it in a 6" for my girl.

They had a plain one, I cannot find it.

Jan. 6, 2010, 06:24 PM
He will by no means be a hunter although once he is back in tip top shape I'd like to try him in some smaller shows in the Adult Equitation and maybe some low jumpers. Hard to believe that at 18 he can still get tough and have tons of get up and go. But he did event at advanced level in europe and then did the grand prixs in florida. I worked him out of the gag because I felt that the pulls weren't always reliable to allow the bit to slide back down when you didn't need the extra leverage. Also the elevator I felt was a bit nicer to him and he responded a million times better. I've been looking at the two-rings and something similar to the golden wings stubben bit above. I am guessing my best bet may be to stick with an elevator of some sort.

I was so happy when I was able to ride him in a comfort D ring and do some killer flat work but he got fit and therefore got strong. The weather got cold and now I ride in a small paddock in case he decides to be a crazy nutcase (which knock on wood, he hasn't yet).

Jan. 6, 2010, 07:35 PM
Awesome - mine is a dedicated nutcase year round :lol:

Sounds like a great guy, if I were you, I would just keep trucking along in what you are using, you could always make a switch to a pelham if you want to do some equitation. :yes:

The Golden wings is a freaking amazing bit, it is the first bit I have ever been able to use on Creggan without him being fussy or stiffening up, not to mention he is light as a feather in it.