PDA

View Full Version : So is anyone else braving the cold for the GM clinic in Wellington?

mroades
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:59 PM
I was able to swing it at the last minute...enjoyed today, but sheesh its cold even down here!

8am is going to be a bit brisk tomorrow!

MHM
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:11 PM
If all the stars align for my travel plans, I hope to get to Florida sometime on Friday, and watch the clinic on Saturday.

If the stars and the Weather Channel don't align for me, well.... :(

showjumpers66
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:32 AM
We did for the 10 am session and were glad we had. We will try to make it again Wednesday and Thursday.

chrissymack
Jan. 6, 2010, 12:25 PM
It is FREEEEEEZING down here!!!! Might swing by Saturday morning for a bit, if I can pry myself away from the heater.

btw, Showjumpers66, nice to see you're in town! You'll have to swing by our farm if you get a chance- Momma Mare is in full belly force with her Apiro baby en route! :)

adhock
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:33 PM
Honestly, since PH taped the whole thing last year (with the wonderful diversity of Olympians doing the training) and then never produced a video, I can't imagine why they just don't stream it live! It would do so much to build an audience/support (for the USET, USEF, PH, etc.). If they charged a minimal fee (say $10/view, $40 for the whole thing), they could still sell an edited video (if they could possibly get it together), and it wouldn't impinge on their editorial coverage. We have the technology to do this and I fear that our imaginations are the greatest hinderance to achieving greater knowledge of this sport. How do you create incentives for the youngsters without giving them access???? Just venting, but it's a frustration because once again it speaks to the insularity of the "sport!"

That said, I hope that TB does a great job and keeps any parent/adult away from editing! If he speaks the truth, it will be really fun, funny and enlightening.

joiedevie99
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:35 PM
My flight gets in at 10:30 friday night, so I'm planning to hit the 8 am session Saturday before heading over to see my trainer at the dressage show.

Pony+ an inch
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:38 PM
Honestly, since PH taped the whole thing last year (with the wonderful diversity of Olympians doing the training) and then never produced a video, I can't imagine why they just don't stream it live! It would do so much to build an audience/support (for the USET, USEF, PH, etc.). If they charged a minimal fee (say $10/view, $40 for the whole thing), they could still sell an edited video (if they could possibly get it together), and it wouldn't impinge on their editorial coverage. We have the technology to do this and I fear that our imaginations are the greatest hinderance to achieving greater knowledge of this sport. How do you create incentives for the youngsters without giving them access???? Just venting, but it's a frustration because once again it speaks to the insularity of the "sport!"

That said, I hope that TB does a great job and keeps any parent/adult away from editing! If he speaks the truth, it will be really fun, funny and enlightening.

I like that idea a lot. I know I'd pay for streaming.

WW_Queen
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
My flight gets in tonight, so I will be there in the morning tomorrow! Was hoping to get out for the entire week but pesky work got in the way. ;)

mroades, it was supposed to be verrry cold in the mornings (as you said), did you/would you bring some sort of blanket to cover your knees? I am debating bringing something like that, I'm such a wuss when it comes to cold!! :)

lauriep
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:20 PM
It is VERY cold and windy. Supposed to be a bit better tomorrow, but still cool. If the wind would just go down...

Release First
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:39 PM
Great weather reports but what are you experiencing and learning?

I really agree with the idea of streaming it. I know they are taping it again this year so it wouldn't take any more personnel. The leaders in the horse community need to be willing and eager to share their knowledge. Some of the most knowledgeable professionals seem afraid to share their secrets nor have any commitment to improving the horse industry in the United States. Jimmy Williams used to tell people they could come and follow him around for a week or so because they could never do what he does because they weren't him. And he was right. Maclain Ward tells us to learn from everyone but then put the knowledge back into our own training systems. Teaching, sharing does not threaten the top tier of the profession it just supports the entire profession.

Woops, I think I got a bit off topic here but this has been bugging me lately. :D

Duckz
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
We've got a Maryland crew down here! And brrrrrrrrr! I guess we brought the freezing temps with us. I think today was worse than yesterday but tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer.

Anyway, watching the clinic is worth it! The jumping today was really neat, especially that gymnastic on the bank (bank-ette? :lol:). We're uploading pics and video right now. Didn't it make you gasp when George was on Theo's horse and it took the last fence in the combo funny? :eek:

Here's an etiquette question for you... is it okay to upload video of the riders (and George) to YouTube? I'd like to since I think other people would enjoy seeing it, but I don't want to make anyone upset.

Duckz
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:04 PM
Great weather reports but what are you experiencing and learning?

Yesterday the riders worked on the flat. George emphasized keeping hands up up UP! He doesn't like the trend in hunters to carry your hands low. He got on a few of the riders about see-sawing with their hands. He said if the horse evades the bit to maintain or even lift your hands and keep contact. We also learned that a lot of people over bend their horses at the neck.

Today they worked on the automatic release over gymnastic type exercises. Some of the horses started dragging the riders to the jumps, so he had them halt in front of the fence, sometimes in the middle of a combo. Oh, and before the jumping they worked on a serpentine exercise over cavalettis, alternating trotting and cantering the poles.

There's lots of other stuff, but hopefully I'll get some video loaded that can speak for itself!

mroades
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:56 PM
I video-ed alot, but will not be able to do anything with it until I get home.

Honestly, there wasnt much new, but I was alternately overjoyed at the talent shown and dismayed at the inability to follow directions. I mean how many times does GM have to say walk or trot before you figure out he was talking to YOU!!!

And yes, blankets for the knees and warms shoes or socks are a must. My feet were frozen solid by the end of section one.

sptraining
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:18 PM
...dismayed at the inability to follow directions. I mean how many times does GM have to say walk or trot before you figure out he was talking to YOU!!!

haha! SO TRUE.

Carol Ames
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:27 PM
Please remember to report on it afterward:lol:, doesn't COTH want clinic reports:cool:?

c.harrison1
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:43 PM
I WISH there would make a complete dvd set of everything. I have the first two but so much got skimmed over :(

supershorty628
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:04 PM
Here's an etiquette question for you... is it okay to upload video of the riders (and George) to YouTube? I'd like to since I think other people would enjoy seeing it, but I don't want to make anyone upset.

I think it is okay as long as you disable commenting. People can get really nasty on YouTube.

Brydelle Farm
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:10 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for reporting in, videoing and photos!! ;)

Duckz - please post your youtube link when its ready. TIA

We bear the brisk October air in MD every year for GHM!! Wished I could make FL this week but the stars didn't align for me this year.

showjumpers66
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:17 AM
The clinic has been a great treat!!! Thanks to everyone who set it up.

Would love to. We are starting the 27 hour drive home tomorrow after Apiro's classes, but maybe when we come back later in the season. Are you going to be able to come to watch Apiro and Nikko Ritter in the ring? Can't wait to see pics of your new Apiro kid!

btw, Showjumpers66, nice to see you're in town! You'll have to swing by our farm if you get a chance- Momma Mare is in full belly force with her Apiro baby en route! :)

chrissymack
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:33 AM
Oh, bummer- I'd love to see Apiro go, but teach middle school during the day so I won't be able to get down there. Is he staying down all circuit, or heading back with you?

ivy62
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:19 AM
When GM would hold his fall clinic at Hunterdon before he moved we would go and it was so cold even in the indoor BUT he kept your attention so the only time we knew it was cold was at the beginning and lunch..then we ran to our cars and warmed up...but our minds were elsewhere. I love his clinics and I wish they would release this stuff because what will happen when he is gone.
I love the auto release and it seeme to be getting lost but he always seems to get back to it.....

SoldierBoy96
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:54 PM
Honestly, since PH taped the whole thing last year (with the wonderful diversity of Olympians doing the training) and then never produced a video, I can't imagine why they just don't stream it live!

I agree about the streaming thing. Is it true there's no DVD being made for the 2009 clinic? If so, that's a bummer, because I enjoyed the last two and I was really looking forward to seeing the different olympians do the clinic, even if it was edited a lot. :(

lauriep
Jan. 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
The 2009 DVD has been done since March, but they have been waiting for a final release waiver to be signed. I am told that is about done, so hopefully it will be out soon.

There is no DVD this year. I have mentioned the streaming to PH and will let you know what they say.

I should say that there are videographers here filming, but PH is not doing one this year.