PDA

View Full Version : Saddle fitting for a ArabXWelsh pony?

Dressage (Pea)Nut
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:33 PM
Any saddle suggestions for fitting a 4 year-old 14hh ArabXWelsh mare? I'm primarily a dressage rider, but this mare is a resale hunter project and my all-purpose saddle doesn't fit her - it slips forward pretty badly, and she HATES the crupper. Would this mean that the saddle is too wide, or too narrow? She's quite short-backed, with almost no whither and a very sloped shoulder, but it feels like riding a 2x4, so I don't think she's wide, like a typical Arab or Welsh...?? She's of Russian Arabian bloodlines on the dam side, and Welsh Section A on the sire side, if that helps. Any brands/makes I should look into? I'm 5' tall, and normally ride in a 17" all-purpose or dressage saddle, but I can probably fit my big bum into a 16" if necessary! :p Thanks!

morning glory
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:45 PM
I have a Welsh/Anglo-Arab, 14h, 6 yo mare. By the sound of it, she has similar conformation to your mare... she's currently going in an Ovation close contact saddle with a thinline pad and it seems to fit her pretty well. Pessoas seemed to fit her well - especially the older flat-as-a-pancake Nelson Pessoas, and collegiate's weren't bad (I think with a correction pad, it could have worked okay). Prestige, Stubben, and Beval were terrible fits for her. Crosby's weren't bad, but weren't great. YMMV, of course...

Since her back is short, a saddle with an upswept panel may help (and allow you to have a slightly more normal seat size).

good luck! saddle shopping is the worst, especially with the young ones.

Sunnyhorse
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:20 PM
Dressage (Pea)Nut, I rode my witherless Welsh/Arab cross in a Beval LTD 2 for three years -- it was the only saddle my trainer (who sold me the pony) had ever found that fit him. Unfortunately, pony + Beval + me didn't work together at all, and I ended up testing out 25 different saddles before giving up and buying a custom CWD, which works beautifully for us. I highly recommend the Beval, though; it's a pretty saddle and comfy, too. It worked well on my trainer's low-withered OTTB and other "round" horses -- just not on my own horse! (I wish I could afford to keep both saddles, but the Beval's on consignment now.) Best of luck to you!

superpony123
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:01 PM
i ride a welsh x arab pony in the barn in my devoucoux. i've also put her in a beval ltd that fit also

adelmo95
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:43 AM
I ride my 14 hand quarter pony who has minimal withers in a medium/wide tree amerigo dj jumping saddle. I have found that saddle stayed put quite nicely on her and I lucked out in finding the saddle used on ebay so it did not end up costing me a fortune. The saddle did have a tendancy to slide forward on my 3 year old 15 hand thoroughbred warmblood cross mare while she was very bum high but I think the laws of gravity would have dictated that any saddle would slide forward so thankfully she has evened out...

alteringwego
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
The Welsh/Arab mix that I knew wore a Beval something? Contact a saddle fitter though. They'll charge you usually less than $100 and you'll find something that really fits well.

KobeTrixie57
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:16 AM
My daughter has a large arab/welsh cross pony. Although she is wider towards her rear, she is narrow at the shoulders. We went with a County stabilizer built on a pony tree. It has a 16.5 seat so even I can ride in it and it fits the pony like a dream. It is wool flocked so it can be customized as they change shape (muscle up, etc.). We tried truly about 12 saddles before we decided on this one. I'm so glad we did. We just love it and have never had a problem with it or how it fits the pony. :)