PDA

View Full Version : Ariat Crowne Pros

kgro632
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:01 PM
Ok, I know these are being discountinued, and I always thought that I wanted a pair. Well I oredered form Dover and when they came they looked cheap, the holes for the eyelets were not even all the way punched out. I went to the Dover store and found a nice looking pair, still the Crowne Pros but appeared to be more finished looking and better leather, of course they were no in the height I needed. So I returned the ones that I had bought and decided to order from somewhere else.

I placed an order for the Crowne Pros through Smart pak, got them and now I have one boot that looks finished an the other not. They don't match!! One of the punched toe caps is shorter then the other!! It almost appers rounder then the other.

WTH?

Anyone have experiences like this. Should I just return them and try another brand?

If so what is a comparable size to ariat 8RT?

alteringwego
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:22 PM
yuck! Hate you're having this experience. I have the Ariat Crownes and love them. They are beautiful boots and very comfortable.

Lucassb
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:46 PM
The older Crowne Pros were really beautiful boots. I think at some point they must have downgraded them though - the leather wasn't anywhere near as nice and the workmanship was ... awful.

I'd return them and keep your eye out for another pair; maybe you will come across someone's NOS somewhere.

Eq4Me
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
I recently went to the Dover store in New Hampshire to buy a new pair of Ariat Cobalt XR paddock boots. Right out of the box, the toe caps on each boot were different lengths. The leather seemed drier and not as supple, too.

I ended up getting an older model (regular Ariat Cobalts, not the XRs) at my local tack shop on clearance for 50% off. They seemed to be MUCH higher quality.

I hope this isn't a new trend with Ariat....

Sudi's Girl
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:43 PM
Wow - that's strange. I LOVE my crown pro's. :-\ Although I bought mine at a tack shop (they were also on sale then), and I do remember the sales lady telling me that they were changing the way they were made. Mine have looked beautiful since day one, but I only wear them for shows/clinics/occasional fox hunting.

LeeB10
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:30 PM
The older Crowne Pros were made in Italy and the new ones are made in China. The difference is pretty obvious between the old ones and new ones.

dauntless
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have a pair that are at least 5 yrs old and they are lovely!

kgro632
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:45 PM
Ugh, I must have fallen in love with the old ones.

My husband is telling me to suck it up and keep them. He says no one will ever be able to tell that the toes are different, plus my feet won't be together when I ride in them anyway! He also says that it will not interfer with the function of the boot. True, but still!

Why do men think this way?:)

pattnic
Jan. 5, 2010, 08:33 PM
The older Crowne Pros were made in Italy and the new ones are made in China. The difference is pretty obvious between the old ones and new ones.

This. :yes:

I went on a several year search (with a couple of snafus) to find Ariat Crownes made in Italy in my size (of course, this was after they had switched over production to China, which made it quite a bit harder... I seem to have a penchant for discontinued items...)
I finally found them (and for a great price!), so I can definitely relate to you! I wish you all the best of luck - and ebay is your friend!

kgro632
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:08 PM
I saw some on ebay, but they aren't zip ups. Will that drive me insane?

Pros/cons of pull ons and zip ups. It might be worth it to get a better boot!

alteringwego
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have the older ones that were made in Italy. Mine are not zip ups and fit me so well that it wouldn't matter if they did. Zip ups can be a bit more tailored at the ankle which is particularly fashionable. If it were me then ideally I'd go for Italian zip ups but if I found Italian pull ons then that'd be ok too.

pattnic
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:45 PM
The Italian-made ones didn't come with zips... BUT zips break :yes:

Rhody Ram
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:15 PM
My custom Der Daus have different length toe caps.. doesn't make any difference unless you stand square at all times.. and even you have to point it out for anyone to notice. Your husband is right. If you like the boots otherwise, keep them. I have the oldddd Italian crowne pros with holes galore and I love them.

Horseforthecourse
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:19 PM
I have a pair of Ariat Heritages that aren't zip ups to school in and a pair of Ariat Crown Pros with the zippers to show in. The Ariat Crown Pros with the zippers are much more comfortable and stylish. They actually look and feel like a custom boot to me.

I don't like having tall boots without zippers nearly as much.

Bluehorsesjp
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:22 PM
how can you tell if they are made in Italy or China?

And OP, I know you want them to be perfect, but if you got them for a good price, I have to agree with your husband. I promise I that I won't stand by the side of the ring and laugh at you because your toe caps don't match.:)

kgro632
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:46 PM
On the inside where it says the sizing, it will say Made in....

I know, I did get them for a good price, Paid $400, I just want them to be perfect. :(

katerenee
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:48 PM
I have had two pairs of Ariat tall boots and two pairs of Ariat paddock boots.I too am wondering how to tell the difference between those made in China vs. those made in Italy. I am assuming mine were the Italian version I have had my pair (tall boots) for 10 years now and have really only worn them for showing so they still look and feel great. My mom just recently borrowed them and fell in love with them as well so we have been talking about getting another pair.

LeeB10
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:28 AM
If you look inside the boots there will be numbers for the style, height of the boot, calf width, and it will say either made in Italy or made in China.

mypaintwattie
Jan. 6, 2010, 02:52 PM
I have a pair that just love, the leather is super soft and supple and the fit great. They are the pull on style, I knew to stay away from their zippers. Sad to hear that the quality is going downhill, sounds like it is on all Ariat's boots.

EquineRacers
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:00 PM
I tried them on at the store and hated them. The leather was far too hard and I could tell would require A LOT of conditioning and well as break in time.

I tired on just about every boot out there and I found the best of be the Mountain Horse Supremes. I wouldn't not recommend them for schooling for I think they might wear out fast, however for shows they are perfert. Super soft leather, all hand made, no break in time required, and I'm a Tall/Slim and could never find anything tall enough or slim enough that these fit like a glove!

Also, if you spent the $500 on them and your not happy with them, return them. That is way too much money to be spending on something that is going to bother you!

chrissymack
Jan. 6, 2010, 06:45 PM
I got a pair 3 years ago, Crowne Pros made in China. They oiled in beautifully, fit like they were custom made, and were comfortable and soft from day one.

Now both boots have holes in the inner ankles, and I ordered a new pair of Crowne Pros this past spring. They looked and felt cheap in the box, and were not near as fitted through the ankle (I have a very thin ankle, and it felt like a tube). The snap on one of them broke on day 3. Took longer to wear in, and gave me sore ankles and bruised top of my feet for a few weeks until they broke in. Even broken in now, they are not as soft and buttery as the first pair was right out of the box.

The newer pair is fine now, but I still choose to ride in and show in my older ones. There is a clear quality difference between even my two pairs.

Unfortunately, I am seeing this with ALL of my Ariat products the past 2 years or so...breeches don't hold their shape & sag with wear as the day goes on, elastic in the material in strange places gets ripples in it, even in their higher end lines...there isn't a person I know who purchased Ariat field boots within the last 2 years that hasn't had the snap or zipper break on. These are all things both myself and others at the barn have noticed. It's too bad, because I used to stick to Ariat like glue as they fit my shape really well, and could by off the rack and head to the ring. Now I consider their products for schooling only, and have moved on to other brands for anything that matters or I want to keep for any length of time. :cry:

Soldier06
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:39 PM
I am on my 3rd pair of Crowne Pro's- 1st pair was $100 in dover basement, but then I outgrew them and sold them for $120 2 or 3 years later on Ebay, 2nd pair were my moms which were $150 in Dover, wore those for a good five years (between her and me) till they just got too many holes, and my most recent pair was $80 in a local sports consignment shop. All Italian, all fit like customs, but I have yet to find a "new" pair (out of the box new) that were half as nice as any of the DB finds or my current ones.

Honestly after the 2nd pair (I needed new boots) I gave up on Ariats and went to Sergios.

My mom had the same experience, after her dress Crowne Pros retired to schooling she got Cavallos since the "new" Ariats were just not the same.

Unfortunately there has been a noticeable decline in the quality of Ariat products since switching from Italy to China. At one point the leather/quality and construction was equally as beautiful on the Ariats as on the Sergios and Cavallos. Even the half chaps and paddock boots are severely lacking- I now where the Grand Prix products and have been very satisfied. :)

ponymom64
Jan. 7, 2010, 07:28 AM
I just ordered a pair for my ridiculously hard to fit daughter and have to say that I am terribly disappointed. She has an older pair of Crowne Pros that are made of beautiful leather and FIT (although too short for her now) so I ordered the same thing, just in the tall and the leather is very stiff and cheap looking.

I guess I will have to send them back but I am at a loss on what boots to get for her as I don't want to go custom for a teenager :(

kgro632
Jan. 7, 2010, 04:10 PM
Well I just sent the Crowne Pros zip back to Smart Pak. Sounds like the quality is not going to be any different if I were to exchange them!!

I did however just purchase a pair that are brand new, made in Italy, Ariat Crowne pull ons! For $127!!! Off of Ebay!! I'm hoping the quality is going to be much better!!

Seller said she purchased them two years ago and has never worn them. Fingers crossed!

SquirrellyBred
Jan. 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with my Ariat Crowne Pros. I got them about 4 years ago, and after about 2 weeks of riding in them the zipper pull on one boot broke. So after using a pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull the zipper up on the right boot for several months, I gave up and got the zipper replaced.

The guy at my shoe shop just laughed and says he has to replace the ariat zippers all the time because they are such poor quality (yay made in china!). But aside from the zipper woes, I love these boots. The leather is holding up great, and they fit so closely and beautifully through the ankles that they look like custom boots - a much better fit that any other off the rack tall boots I've tried.

So if the toe-caps are really going to make you crazy, send 'em back and move on. But otherwise, I'd say you have a nice pair of boots...just watch those zippers.

rottngirl
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:29 AM
My first pair of Crowne Pro's bought a year ago: left shaft was almost a full inch slimmer that the right boot.

Second pair of Crowne Pro's that I got in exchange: left foot measurably smaller than right.

Returned.

Bought a pair of Der Dau's and fell in love.