View Full Version : advice

Jan. 5, 2010, 10:52 AM
I am looking for advice +/or a mentor in the So MD area to begin endurance riding on a OTTB "go pony". I live on a 200 acre farm next door to a 1000 acre state park so I have ideal training grounds to do this. I would like to do a 25 mile ride at FHI or Mannassas in the spring. How far, how long, and how often should this horse be working ? Should I seek out an endurance trainer for a lesson or evaluation ? If so, pls reccomend and give contact info. This horse and I have done some eventing and foxhunting together. He is a "go or get out of my way" mentality and I have yet to get to the bottom of him physically. Last and dumbest question - Are there pedometers for horses to see how far you've gone ? Thanks in advance for the advice, I think he will enjoy this type of career.

Jan. 5, 2010, 12:26 PM
Check out endurance.net and aerc.org. Lots of great info on both sites. There is also a ton of great info on this site. There are also some great blogs about the endurance life. My favs areThe BarbWire and Endurance rider. They also have some more links to other blogs that are very interesting. It's awesome to hear about the rides from the rider herself.
A ''trainer'' really isn't all that important, someone who has ''been there and done that'' in endurance could be a real help. Educate yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions. You may want to volunteer at a couple of rides to see how it all works or crew for a friend. I did and it really opened my eyes to the reality of even an LD ride. I haven't been able to do a ride yet, mostly because I haven't found the right horse yet, but I have been doing lots of research and planning. Good Luck and keep us posted!!

Jan. 5, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm in Southern MD, down in Charles County. We should talk. I trailer around quite a lot to do training rides, my regular riding buddy is in the Upper Marlboro area so we meet at various locations to train. I've been competing in endurance and CTRs for about 10 years now. Always happy to mentor or help people hook up with other folks. It is really helpful to have people to ride and train with, both for the horse and the rider.

Where are you exactly? Do you have trailering rig?

Bonnie S.