PDA

View Full Version : Anyone traded in an old saddel towards purchase of a new at Ricks Heritage Saddlery?

magmir
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
I am looking to trade in my butet, but am a little wary because I am out of state and they will not even give me an estimate as to the trade in value of my old saddle until they have it in their physical possession. I completely understand their position, but I am hesitant to incur the cost of sending my saddle to them without an idea as to the trade in value as shipping is expensive and a chore. If anyone is willing to share their experiences as to trade in values I would be greatly appreciative.

akstaj
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:25 AM
I have, no problems. I did send the saddle insured to cover any loss in the mail. I thought the price was a little low but not unreasonable.

SportsFan46
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:35 PM
Rick's is a reputable business that has been in business many years. You are safe sending your saddle there.

buck22
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:37 PM
rick's is certainly reputable, I wouldn't worry in that regard. as far as trade in cost, look on their website and find the closest make/model/size/condition to what you have, then deduct about 25-35%, thats likely ballpark of what to expect.

Last year, Rick's had a saddle I'd been looking for. It just so happened I had the same exact saddle in the same exact condition. Their saddle was an oddball size that happened to be what I needed, mine was a mainstream size. I drove there with the saddle to see what they'd do for a trade. They wanted my saddle plus 30% of the asking price of the other one. I didn't go for it, but it was certainly fair, they are a business afterall.

dab
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:08 PM
If you want to name your price for your Butet, consider consigning it with Rick's (or another shop) -- They take 20% on the sale of consignment saddles, but you'll have to wait until it sells to get your money -- They get plenty of shoppers, so if you price the saddle reasonably, I would expect it to sell fairly quickly --

I consigned an old Hermes with plain flaps there a few years ago, and it sold in a few months -- I didn't buy my new saddle from them so have no clue what they would have offered me for a trade in --

magmir
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:21 PM
I am not worried at all as to whether they are reputable, I just don't want to incur the time and expense of shipping it to them if they will come back with a really low ball offer.

I am honestly just confused about used saddle pricing in general. Certainly, advertised prices are somewhat meaningless as something is only worth waht someone is willing to pay, but I see roughly comparable used saddles to mine in terms of size, condition, ect being consistently advertised from the high $2000 range to low $3000 on tack store websites, ebay, used saddle websites, ect.

I know some it has to do with where it is being sold from, which guarantees quality, but are used saddle prices out to lunch and much higher than what people are actually getting?

buck22
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:38 PM
I don't blame you one bit.

I've been watching prices, etc, for the last year or two, and have noticed that your most reliable source for pricing for what the general fair asking price of a saddle actually is are large scale consignment shops like ricks, pelham, middleburg, etc. Those are stores that have to make a profit, but also have to move product, so they will price as low as they reasonably can.

Some higher end used tack dealers earn higher prices because they offer service, tack of a certain level or condition, long trials, expert help with fitting, etc. People pay more for the service they get.

Ebay is a reliable indicator of price, to a point. It is the denzien of bargain hunters because the general fray is too scared to spend on tack they can't see first or return, and most is non-returnable, so high ticket items go cheaper than likely anywhere else... Buyers with cash a keen eye and a little luck can get the bargain of a lifetime (I've gotten my share). Though yes, there are tons of saddles whos prices ARE out to lunch on ebay, like people who think their only used twice $2200 saddle should sell for $2150. The way to read ebay? do a historical search and see what actually sold, not whats listed.

Public lists like tacktrader and craigslist can run the gamut, from crazy over priced to crazy deal. Thats what people *think* their stuff is worth.

If you're going to deal with ricks, the best thing is to see what rick is currently selling and what it sells for. They are the best barometer of price, and again, ricks needs to make a living too, so expect at least 30% off.

ricks is fair n' square and they know the market, you might not get what you imagined, ime but you won't get ripped off.

Tha Ridge
Jan. 5, 2010, 06:38 PM
Not sure about the condition of your saddle or anything, but I sold a 2003 made Butet that was very lightly used for $2,300.

InstigatorKate
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have found them to be reputable and easy to deal with. I've traded in a few saddles with them. One was an older saddle and I wanted to trade towards a new one. They offered me $450 credit (I had only paid $375), and they listed the saddle for $550. The other saddles I just wanted store credit for, and they let me name my price. I can understand your hesitation in sending it via mail.....can you not make the trip? I wouldn't worry as much about Rick's as the US mail/FedEx/UPS system!

comeoutandplay
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:19 PM
I may be wrong, but when they took my saddle on consignment they let me pick the price. They gave me an idea of what they thought it could sell for but it was ultimately up to me. It went out on trial and the people who took it offered slightly less than the asking price- Rick's called me and asked if I'd accept the offer.

They do take a sizable percentage in their consignment fee- but I'm local so I decided to take the store credit knowing that I would use it eventually.

dab
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:26 AM
Rick's sent me a check when my saddle sold, not a store credit -- This was about 4 years ago -- I think they had a cutoff above which they would pay you by check rather than in store credit --

TemJeito
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:20 PM
I sold two of my saddles there - very quickly - and for more than I was planning to ask. They give you an option of the consignment fee or store credit.

eqinegirl
Jan. 16, 2010, 12:13 PM
Try posting it on Craigslist. It's free, you can name your price & you only have to ship it once. Also, Ebay. I'm about to list a saddle on Ebay & see what happens. Ricks is about 3 miles from my farm & they have A LOT of saddles. A Butet should sell pretty quickly.