PDA

View Full Version : Clinics - Who Would You Like to See???

monalisa
Jan. 5, 2010, 08:45 AM
I am doing some research into clinics.

If you could attend a clinic with someone, East Coast-based, who would be your top 5?

Thanks!!!!

supershorty628
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:56 AM
Can we count people whose clinics we have gone to?

If not, I would love to work with these 5 (although I don't know if all/any of them do clinics...): Bernie Traurig, Laura Chapot, Laura Kraut, Jeffrey Welles, and Beezie Madden.

Lucassb
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
Does the clinician have to be east coast based? Or is that the location of the clinic itself?

If the clinician can be from elsewhere, I would want to ride (again) with Jeff Cook, Linda Allen, and Don Sachey. (All do clinics on the east coast.)

If the clinician has to be east coast based, (or in addition) I'd like to ride with Frank Madden again, and Geoff Teall. Also I didn't get to ride in the recent McLain Ward clinic at OSF, and would love a chance to ride with him as well.

TwoDreamRides
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:14 PM
Top 5 for an east coast clinic [not dependent on where the actual clinician is from] Geoff Teall, McLain Ward, Nona Garson, Linda Allen, and Frank Madden.

monalisa
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:15 PM
The clinic would be in Virgina, so it would likely not be economically feasible to bring someone in from the West Coast, and given that we have a lot of good talent in the East.

It would not matter if someone was in a clinic before with a trainer. Just trying to find out who might be popular.

Lucassb
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
The clinic would be in Virgina, so it would likely not be economically feasible to bring someone in from the West Coast, and given that we have a lot of good talent in the East.

It would not matter if someone was in a clinic before with a trainer. Just trying to find out who might be popular.

Remember a lot of these clinicians are often on the east coast anyway - they are showing, or judging, or designing courses, etc. Frequently they will combine trips with other farms' clinics as well, which can make them just as affordable as pros who are based on the east coast. I know for a fact that Don Sachey does that, and he's here several times a year. Linda Allen designs for the Fidelity Classic (New Hampshire)... IIRC she is also on the ground jury for the WEG and may be traveling to KY in preparation for the WEG.

Might be worth inquiring about their schedules, and seeing if they can add you to their schedule - it may be more economical than you think.

Go Fish
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
George Morris, hands down. I audited a clinic of his a couple of years ago and was simply amazed. There were several top GP riders in the clinic, so that helped up the ante a bit. But I've never learned so much as a bench warmer in my life.

The others have given good options...

BAC
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:25 PM
Frequently they will combine trips with other farms' clinics as well, which can make them just as affordable as pros who are based on the east coast. I know for a fact that Don Sachey does that, and he's here several times a year.

Yes, Don usually comes to the east coast in the spring, summer and fall, sometimes he is away from home for weeks at a time traveling from barn to barn in order to accommodate everyone.

c.harrison1
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:45 PM
george morris
joe fargis
beezie madden
anne kursinski
frank chapot

JBCool
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
I audited a clinic with Frank Madden last year and I'm still kicking myself for not riding in it. I'd LOVE to do one with him so much I can't really think of anyone else. Maybe Tommy Serio, if he does them. George Morris, of course, but I think I'd be too scared to actually ride in it: there's no way I could please him!

P.S. Keep us posted on who you get, will you? I happen to be in VA.

gottagrey
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:41 PM
I think it depends on what TYPE of clinic - there are some clinicians who are better than others, and some fantastic riders who just aren't very good clinicians.

for a novice type group (and probably otherwise) I would have to say Nina Fout. I saw her at a Horse Expo one year w/ riders who had never jumped before - she was so wonderful w/ them. No doubt she has the experience for advanced riders but I simply loved how she handled the novice riders. She is in VA.

For jumpers:
Kevin Babbington, Joe Fargis, Neil Shapiro (he's good - low key)

For someone local and if you wanted a good person - somewhat low key Ken Krome has given some good clinics as well.

Again depends on the type of clinic, target participants (i.e. riding level) and what type of budget you have for clinician-