View Full Version : Poplar Place March HT - Updated...Start times are up when?

Jan. 4, 2010, 11:07 PM
Any CoTHers going? Any from the Chattanooga area? I am hoping to take The $700 Pony for our debut, and was hoping to meet up with any other CoTHers! Also, I am looking at maybe trailerpooling, if anyone is interested or has a slot! Haven't shown there, so any insights would be awesome!

Jan. 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
If you do bring the $700 pony, Thou Shalt email me as I'll be announcing....

Jan. 5, 2010, 10:49 AM
No problem! We'll be there if we've got to walk! She's a cross country machine :)

Jan. 5, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'm hoping to be there, I'll be taking my pony out for his second Novice. I can't help you with trailerpooling (I live in GA) but can tell you that the venue is superb. They've just changed how most of the cc tracts run and there are some new fences. The facility is top notch, show staff is great, and the Stegmans always go out of their way to run an incredible show!

Jan. 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
When is opening date for it?

Jan. 5, 2010, 06:55 PM
even if new mare isn't ready to compete, i will be there and most likely be jump crew. see you there!

Jan. 5, 2010, 07:30 PM
You mean I might get to meet the Famous $700 Pony in _person_? I wonder if she will autograph my book??

If all goes well, we will close in early February and I should be there for the March event.

(The new place is 20 minutes away from Poplar, I can't wait!)

Jan. 5, 2010, 07:55 PM
LOL She can hoof it for you! I can't fake Ellen's signature very well though! Right now its hinging on getting a ride, or finally finding a tow vehicle *sigh*

Jan. 5, 2010, 08:01 PM
Here's another idea for you, Noctis...PM all those Middle TN eventers and talk them into coming to Poplar - they will more than likely travel through Chattanooga and could find a place for that cute, cute pony! I too have "the book"...would love to have her drool a bit of nice green hay on it! :D :lol: :cool:

Jan. 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
:D She could do that! I don't have any contact information any more, 2 kidlets and a few computer crashes killed everything unfortunately. Cross your fingers, might be looking at a truck this week...see...this IS what I need for my birthday!

Jan. 13, 2010, 11:28 AM
I'll be there not that I have posted much since my hip replacement. You can find me as I have a loud appy mare and I am BN yet again because of the hip. FlightCheck since you are announcing... the 'WAPPED' in my horse name is not wRapped; and the A is like 'ahhh'. Thanks in advanced!!

Jan. 13, 2010, 12:07 PM
Noctis, I don't know of any of us who are headed to Poplar March (but perhaps Poplar May...). :( Anyway, the link is

Jan. 20, 2010, 01:56 PM
Noctis, did you find a ride? I want to meet the $700 Pony. :)

Barring any last minute problems, everything's in place for us to close on the 10th, so I'll be there for the March event. And the May event, and the... they seem to have one almost every month!

Jan. 21, 2010, 08:44 AM
I actually got a TRUCK! I've got to get the hitch installed, but other than that, we'll be there! WOOHOO! Just don't laugh at our dressage...Herself thinks that it is a blessed waste of time, even though I've told her time and time again, she doesn't get the fun parts without it! ;-)

Reynard Ridge
Jan. 21, 2010, 09:10 AM
Dang! I was just getting ready to offer to sell you mine! It's been sitting around for, oh, about two years. :winkgrin:

So, if you are entering Poplar Place in *March*, I am guessing you are going to keep her?!! I was thinking it might be nice to do a general announcement over in Off Course when the transition was official ...

Jan. 21, 2010, 09:19 AM
Wish I was going! It was my first event last spring and I couldnt believe how gorgeous the course and stabling and, well, everything was. Such a nice place!

Jan. 22, 2010, 08:25 AM

She's family now :) Even the hubby agrees :D I'll stick something in Off Course when I can word it coherently! Or should I wait for the "Official" Day?

Feb. 23, 2010, 12:34 PM
Well since its almost closing date, anyone else coming? And can anyone give me a run down of how the course usually flows? Or any tips? Where do they usually do stadium? LOL Got to admit, getting nervous!

Feb. 23, 2010, 06:48 PM
Just entered the ** with the pony and * with the baby today. Coming down by myself... i think i may be crazy.

Feb. 23, 2010, 06:48 PM
Feel free to PM me.

Unless they run sj on 2 days, it will be Sunday in the (very nice) waxed footing.

Jan Brodkin does a great job designing SJ for the time of year and level.

There are xc photos of most jumps on their website.

Looking forward to it!

Divine Comedy
Feb. 23, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'll be there for the *!

Feb. 23, 2010, 11:30 PM
Noctis the BN runs very nice and its not fast at all. I've done it there a couple of times now. I am going to be there doing BN again as I had a hip replaced last June and its our first time out. BN there is so nice I am not even worried we won't have done any xc before this event. Stadium has always been a very nice but not easy peasy course. Nothing looky but more that the rider has to keep their brain about them. I so look forward to meeting you and the $700 pony! FYI I am the crazy woman camping in her two horse trailer! LOL

Feb. 23, 2010, 11:55 PM
i went down for the schooling show this weekend and everything looks great. the footing is great on XC and in the water complexes and the footing is always nice in the dressage and stadium arenas. stadium tends to be very nicely designed with colorful and contrasty fences and theres a new one that is yellow/grey diagonal "plaid" painted that caught quite a few riders this past weekend- although it was right next to the fence and "scary" judge in back of truck. the course tend to have lots of turns, bending lines and rollbacks compared to other events in the lower levels but always ride really nicely.

considering the weather we've had this winter- its amazing how great the footing is everywhere there.

good luck to everyone coming down!

Feb. 24, 2010, 06:40 AM
Awesome! Gigi, I'll be camping in my 2horse too! But not on the grounds, we're stabling off site. Hopefully the Pony will be a doll lol. I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Feb. 24, 2010, 01:58 PM
jk i couldn't bring myself to press "submit" when i saw my $1000+ entry fees. Sigh. I wish the snow would stop so my money tree would grow...

Feb. 24, 2010, 03:40 PM
We were there also for the schooling show. It looks great. The cob and I will be there in march for another training outting! Come by and say hello everyone!

Feb. 24, 2010, 04:37 PM
I wont be there but I have a horse going in the Intermediate--it will be his first run at this level and Im so excited! A clean finish and a good overall experience for both horse and rider is all Im hoping for.

Mar. 8, 2010, 03:05 PM
Anyone going to the March Poplar from Aiken?

Mar. 9, 2010, 10:09 PM
I will be watching my first cross-country at Poplar Place on Sat, and am not sure how the schedule works. Are the levels at certain times of day, BN at 8am, Int. at noon, ect? Since I'm going with a couple of non-horsey folks, just trying to schedule being there for the DO NOT MISS rides!

Thanks for your help!

Mar. 9, 2010, 10:29 PM
I haven't been to an event there yet, but I imagine they'll have the schedule available on the website when it gets closer.

If you are coming and have time to volunteer, I've just discovered they have a signup form online:

Now that I live 20 minutes away, I am looking forward to collecting some credits to use towards lessons. :)

Mar. 10, 2010, 09:47 AM

Next week there will be a place on the Poplar website that is titled "Ride Times".

It will list, alphabetically, ALL riders and their xc/dressage times. Usually at this show, which combines FEI and HT, show jumping on last day run in reverse order of standing.

Come introduce yourself! I will be in the tower outside the office for dressage, and the tower on Xc.

Mar. 11, 2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks FlightCheck!

Assuming I can still keep my less-horsey companions on track, I'll stop by :)

Mar. 12, 2010, 08:15 AM
I can't wait to meet everyone, you cant miss the Pony and I, little pony with an adult!

Mar. 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know when they'll be posting times? The ombibus said the 24th...but since thats after the event I'm pretty sure its a misprint!

Mar. 17, 2010, 05:04 PM
... and ride times are posted: http://poplarplacefarm.com/ht.html

Looks like the 2* XC is after lunch on Saturday, followed by the 1*.

Is there a general schedule posted somewhere that I missed, or do you have to figure it out from the times?

Mar. 17, 2010, 10:54 PM
I think we've got to figure it out from times! There is stadium and xcountry both Saturday and Sunday :)

Mar. 17, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm signed up to jump judge Sunday all morning until 1:30, so I'll see you go by!

And when will you be holding the "Have your picture taken with The 700 Dollar Pony" and autograph session? :)

Mar. 19, 2010, 06:05 PM
Wendy, you'll see the pony Sunday, we're running xcountry at 1245 :) our stadium is 440pm tomorrow :) had a good dressage test today, with a 40, which in the other bn division would be good for 2nd but it's 10th in ours. The Pony is chilling though and having a ball!

Mar. 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
The pony *really, really* does have a beautiful tail. ;)

Mar. 20, 2010, 10:49 PM
A few pictures from this afternoon at Poplar... http://www.flickr.com/photos/10803470@N00/sets/72157623535490167/

As usual I didn't find anyone from COTH. I wasn't about to bother FlightCheck in the announcer's booth. :)

I will be out there bright and early tomorrow to jump judge! (Except that it might not be "bright". After two days of near perfect weather, our luck may run out tomorrow.)

Mar. 21, 2010, 12:22 AM
Hey Gigi, how are you doing? I saw your mishap in stadium and hope that you are doing OK!

The $700 Pony is ADORABLE, Noctis! Good luck XC tomorrow!

Mar. 21, 2010, 08:48 AM
What happened to GiGi? I heard she and Confetti parted company in stadium :( I think she's also staying in her trailer and spent the night there last night, so it may be a while before there's any update. Hope all's well!

War Admiral
Mar. 21, 2010, 03:18 PM
Results FINALLY up for Open Novice... WooHoo $700 Pony! Clear XC, finished on their dressage score! Go Pony!! :yes:

Mar. 21, 2010, 03:24 PM
She did AWESOME!!! Details to follow when when we get home!

Mar. 21, 2010, 03:27 PM
Yay Pony!!

Mar. 21, 2010, 08:52 PM
The Pony is officially a rock star. She was a bit tense in dressage (typical for her), but was very obedient. She DID take a gander at the fence to size up hopping over it (we didn't), but didn't help our roundness on circles! Stadium...wasn't pretty (her pony jaw was on the GROUND looking at how ornate the jumps were) so we had some zig zags while we argued that yes, indeed, the Pony was going OVER the windmill, and not around it, but she went clean. And biggest surprise, the Pony is turning into a little cross country machine :) As long as we talk our way through LOL. She wasn't too sure about the mushroom jump, but everything else was a blast :) Even the 2 stride bank to coop. We ended up in 7th place overall (and I LOVE purple :D) Got to meet GiGi briefly, and I know I rode past wsmoak lol. I didn't get a chance to get up to the tower to meet FlightCheck, but thanks so much for the good luck wishes before Dressage!

Mar. 21, 2010, 09:23 PM
Congratualtions to both you and that million dollar $700 superstar!!! :cool:

Mar. 21, 2010, 09:57 PM
I spent the morning jump judging and impersonating a trash bag (three layers plus a clear plastic rain parka) thinking surely it wouldn't rain all day long?

After four hours I begged the volunteer coordinator to bring my truck down, so she arranged a ride and filled in for me while I retrieved it.

With better planning, I could have parked it in view of my N and BN fences and only spent the Training division outside. Live and learn!

I really encourage volunteering at Poplar if you're able. Everything is extremely well coordinated and you get a coupon for free XC schooling or $$ off any service at the farm. I'm going to use mine towards board. :)

And I did see the Pony go by! (I was at the barrels, with a view of the log house and a little bit of the water crossing.)

My divisions were uneventful. One refusal at the Training jump out of the water, but they got over on the second try.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and a safe trip home!

Mar. 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
LOL Then Wendy did you hear my commentary? *snicker*

Mar. 21, 2010, 11:02 PM
Lol were you at the second water for training. That is where we had our stop of the day. Not my favorite fence of the day.

Mar. 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
Lol were you at the second water for training. That is where we had our stop of the day. Not my favorite fence of the day.

Yes, I was at the small pond at the back (side?) of the Training course.

It's a serious downhill approach, and though it wasn't _too_ torn up since everyone was taking a slightly different line, it still looked pretty slippery.

PM me if you want my take on the stop. :)

Mar. 21, 2010, 11:34 PM
It was all my fault. We just lost our forward. Other than that fence Rum was a star! I was happy with him all weekend and plenty to work on before our next event. Can't wait to get the pictures back. The photographer got some great photos.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 22, 2010, 12:04 AM
The Pony is officially a rock star.

And biggest surprise, the Pony is turning into a little cross country machine :)

:sadsmile: I am totally verklempt.

Noctis, YOU are a rock star. Thanks for taking her on and giving her a great life.

(RR wanders off to have a good cry)

Edited to add: Noctis, I started a thread on Off Course about her new life. Time for you to brag a little about what a difference a good rider can make! :lol:

Mar. 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
So is there going to be a third book RR?
Million Dollar Rock Star Pony?!? :winkgrin:

Isn't it great when they move on and find a great home? I love that part!

and Noctis congratulations.... you sound like the kind of person who deserves a rock star pony....good on ya

Mar. 22, 2010, 12:21 AM
YAY!!! I wish I could have been there volunteering :) Yes...even in the rain :)

Hooray for Rum and The $700 pony! RR, you did good!!!

Mar. 22, 2010, 04:28 AM
I am very stiff and pulled a few things in my left groin/hip but will be just fine. EMTs insisted I go to hospital and get back/neck xrayed since I landed in such a crumpled heap on the ground.
And a big special thank you to Gary Stegman who had to miss the competitors party to come pick me up at the hospital and bring me back to Poplar.
Also a tongue in check thanks to David Mulinex's photographer whe caught the instant of stupid riding that caused the fall. LOL At least I know what to work on!
$700 Pony is adorable and looked very good over stadium!

Mar. 22, 2010, 04:31 AM
And FlightCheck thank you so much for say Confetti's name perfectly!!!

Mar. 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
Glad you are okay GiGi!!!

Mar. 22, 2010, 08:30 AM
Glad you're ok Gigi! I couldn't find you, and we were all staying off farm so we had to go :(.

Ellen, you'll have a full email about it with TONS of pictures in a day or so when I can figure out how to get them off my darn camera!