PDA

View Full Version : Should I get some F.I.T.S breeches?(help me decide please:p)

Raaben
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:42 PM
So I spent 1 hr at Gallops tonight trying to decide if I really want to get them. It's between the F.I.T.S and Ovation Untra DX f/s breeches. I'm not able to find any people who have the Ovations tho, but for everyone who has the F.I.T.S I have a few questions:)

I'm only 5'4 and found there was excess material that bunched up on the legs, anyone else have this issue or a solution to make the fit perfectly?

What color is best to get?

How high up should they go when wearing them? They were almost at my belly button and the butt part still didn't feel in the right spot:/

How are they as far as if they get wet? The Ovations are water resistant:)

Do they really hold up and last well? I'm afraid to spend so much and have them crap out on me or get destroyed.

Well that's all the Q's I have, please feel free to share your thoughts/experiences. I need all the help in making a descision I can get:)

pattnic
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:01 PM
Based on your description, it sounds as though they are not an ideal fit for you. That being the case, I would pass.

Two other thoughts:

1) Full-seats are kind of passe in the hunter world
2) FITS are sometimes referred to as "Monkey Butt Breeches;" there's a reason for this ;)

Raaben
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:02 AM
Based on your description, it sounds as though they are not an ideal fit for you. That being the case, I would pass.

Two other thoughts:

1) Full-seats are kind of passe in the hunter world
2) FITS are sometimes referred to as "Monkey Butt Breeches;" there's a reason for this ;)

I guess I'm alittle curious why you'd think they aren't ideal for me? Plus if you have suggestions I'm open to them:)

I know they aren't really "show" type breeches but I mainly just school and jump which is why I like full seats:)

akrogirl
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:52 AM
I'm also 5'4" and have the FITS breeches in both the full seat and knee patch versions. They fit me better than any of my other breeches and I just love, love, love them. They are so comfortable in hot weather.

I did find that because of the stretch I had to go to a smaller size than expected. I normally wear breeches with a 30" waist, but take a small in FITS. Going up to the size the tack store expected to fit me did result in extra fabric in the legs.

I have almost every color, but would probably go with the black, grey or taupe for a first pair.

My FITS are holding up very well and are fine in the wet. I wash them in my WM with regular detergent and air dry them. So far, I have found no negatives :-)

Phaxxton
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:02 AM
See my responses in bold.

So I spent 1 hr at Gallops tonight trying to decide if I really want to get them. It's between the F.I.T.S and Ovation Untra DX f/s breeches. I'm not able to find any people who have the Ovations tho, but for everyone who has the F.I.T.S I have a few questions:)

I'm only 5'4 and found there was excess material that bunched up on the legs, anyone else have this issue or a solution to make the fit perfectly?

I'm also only 5'4" (well, almost 5'4" ;)) and I find the FITS are very long on me, too. I can still manage with them, though. AFAIK, they do not come in a "short" length. If they did, I'd go with that. Also, they are very genrously sized. You may need to go down a size from your normal size. They are super stretchy! Still, I find them to be the most comfortable full seats around. I also have the knee patch ones. They are very comfortable and more flattering than regular breeches, but not worth the extra $$ IMHO. I think there are better knee patch breeches out there for the money.

What color is best to get?

The darker the better. I have 3 pairs of FITS - one white, two beige. The white I only use for dressage shows and wash immediately afterward (as in the minute I walk in the door). They still have some faint stains from my boots. I use the beige for schooling and find that they stain very easily (even with regular washing - I wash them every time I wear them). If I get another pair for schooling - not sure because of stitching issues described below - I would get them in black or navy or some other dark color that won't be so easily stained by my boots and saddle. FWIW, I do not have the same degree of staining issues with my other breeches when used with the same boots and saddle.

How high up should they go when wearing them? They were almost at my belly button and the butt part still didn't feel in the right spot:/

I wear them around my natural waist and don't recall any issues with the fit in the back. I don't really feel like they are way up high on my waist, but they are definitely not low rise breeches. Have you tried them on with a belt?

How are they as far as if they get wet? The Ovations are water resistant:)

I did ride outside in the light rain with them once. They aren't really water resistent, but they are better than just plain cotton breeches.

Do they really hold up and last well? I'm afraid to spend so much and have them crap out on me or get destroyed.

In my experience, NO. I wear mine once a week (rarely twice) and wash on gentle after every ride. After less than a year (basically 6-7 months), the stitching in the crotch started to come apart. My full seats developed an actual tear. The knee patch haven't developed a hole yet, but the stitching is already starting to wear. The wears in the stitching are in different places, so I don't think it's got anything to do with my riding, etc. I'm extremely disappointed by this because otherwise I absolutely LOVE my FITS. They are super comfortable!

It was suggested to me that I not wash them every time I ride -- but that's really not an option for me. I have 3 horses and by the time I am done, even in winter, my breeches are pretty gross.

If you plan to put less mileage on them, they may last longer. Perhaps I just got a couple bum pairs - not sure. I do love the comfort, etc., but for that price, I would expect the stitching to last more than a year. My $25 VTO cotton pull-on breeches take more abuse than the FITS ever did and they are going on their 5th year.

Well that's all the Q's I have, please feel free to share your thoughts/experiences. I need all the help in making a descision I can get:)

Raaben
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm also 5'4" and have the FITS breeches in both the full seat and knee patch versions. They fit me better than any of my other breeches and I just love, love, love them. They are so comfortable in hot weather.

I did find that because of the stretch I had to go to a smaller size than expected. I normally wear breeches with a 30" waist, but take a small in FITS. Going up to the size the tack store expected to fit me did result in extra fabric in the legs.

I have almost every color, but would probably go with the black, grey or taupe for a first pair.

My FITS are holding up very well and are fine in the wet. I wash them in my WM with regular detergent and air dry them. So far, I have found no negatives :-)

So did you go with a small or medium? I'm a medium in Kerrits and tried on both..the small was alittle tight but not as long as the medium..but the medium was less tight:-/

On yours do you find extra material on the legs?

akrogirl
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:59 PM
So did you go with a small or medium? I'm a medium in Kerrits and tried on both..the small was alittle tight but not as long as the medium..but the medium was less tight:-/

On yours do you find extra material on the legs?

My FITS breeches are all size small though, like you, I take a medium in the Kerrits. I haven't had any problem with extra fabric in the legs, one of the big pluses for me since I have short legs and that is a common problem with most pull-ons.

Raaben
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:27 PM
My FITS breeches are all size small though, like you, I take a medium in the Kerrits. I haven't had any problem with extra fabric in the legs, one of the big pluses for me since I have short legs and that is a common problem with most pull-ons.

Well the only reason I'm not sure if I should get small or med is coz the fits go almost to my belly button and create alittle "muffin top"(too many sweets lately), but with the med it's not really there..but as I said before the mediums are alittle longer with more material in the legs. So that's why I'm not sure which size to get:/

pattnic
Jan. 5, 2010, 08:44 PM

I guess I'm alittle curious why you'd think they aren't ideal for me? Plus if you have suggestions I'm open to them:)

Because:

These two things are indicators to me that something about the fit is not right for you. Bunching fabrics and seams in the wrong places are annoying at best and extremely painful/blister-inducing at worst. It may be that you need to go down a size (FITS fit better if you go down a size, from what I've heard), or it may just be that it's not something that is going to work for you (Remember, ALL clothing is based on a "standard" or "fit model," and very few people are shaped the same ;) )

I know they aren't really "show" type breeches but I mainly just school and jump which is why I like full seats:)

Fair enough :)

I personally don't have any suggestions, as I don't tend to wear full-seats, but I do love Ariat breeches, so if I were inclined to wear full seats, I would look into Ariat first. (Again, YMMV... people of different shapes tend to prefer different brands because they have different cuts).